• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fed up with drive shafts being wrapped in grass

locky

Anyone made their own mud guards which attach to rear suspension arm to stop detritus collecting around the drive shafts this time of year?

Was thinking of getting some rubber sheet and cutting to shape, make some holes and then secure with zip tie.

Am sure some folks tried this before so if you have any tips please share, best material/thickness, how best to secure and oh do they work well?

I made my own for my Baja. Sod paying £8 plus for premade ones. I got some sheet rubber from Ebay, knocked up some card templates, trimmed and tweaked here and there, cut them out of the rubber and zip tied them on. That was about 9 months ago and they are still good as new and no crap wrapped around the driveshaft. Think the rubber was about a fiver for an A4 size piece and you could get 3-4 sets out of one sheet.

Lexan works well.

If you don;t have any or if you want to test out designs....the plastic from fizzy drinks bottles works OK. It's not as durable...but if you are making your own, and want to get a design working....you want a cheap ( free) material to work with. Then if they break too often, reproduce it in lexan.

I save shell offcuts for this sort of thing.

They won't stop all the grass getting in there, but they really help cut the amount.

On 9/30/2016 at 08:45, sunny said:

These are my ones from an A4 sheet of lexan:

t9TAf8m.jpg