• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA NERO 6S MT - Smart Diffs!

capri-boy

24 minutes ago, Si Coe said:

It hasn't hit the streets yet, so how can you be sure it has problems?

Yes the fancy diffs can't be oil filled, but they aren't totally open so grease should be fine for a good amount of time. Yes some cars with laydown shocks have had problems, but others have been awesome - its not a guarantee of failure.

The proof will come when, and only when, this thing ships. If things start going wrong then you can declare it has problems. Lots of people spotted all sorts of 'problems' with the X-Maxx before its launch, but the only real problem (esc fires) was the one nobody predicted.

Then there's those cracking wheels and edible diffs.

Of which only the diffs were mentioned, and then not because there was any evidence they were bad, just nobody trusts Traxxas diffs in high power applications.

But back to the Nero. The diffs are not exposed to the elements. They are contained within a reasonably well sealed gearbox casing. Its not oil tight, so I guess not water tight the other way but that won't matter unless you leave it sitting in a puddle. Down the history of RC there have been many successful models with far more exposed diffs than this.

This is a nice vid so you can see the diffs better but they guy is clearly trying to big the truck up just count how many times he says huge lol. Also look at the motor can at 9.20 is it me or does it look like the outer casing is pulling away from the mounting screws ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 16:34, mydoddy69 said:

This is a nice vid so you can see the diffs better but they guy is clearly trying to big the truck up just count how many times he says huge lol. Also look at the motor can at 9.20 is it me or does it look like the outer casing is pulling away from the mounting screws ? 

Not just you, it does to me too.  Detaching end bells isn't unusual on a rig that's been bashed very hard - one of the reasons I like the extra clamp like the MTe and others employ.  I haven't watched the whole video to see if this uses anything other than the end bell to secure but from this pic it seems not?

27162665176_6c6e815f93_o.png

Just looking at the specs for it and spotted a flaw imho. Battery sizes :huh:! MS have got the max battery size that fits in each box listed as: 

(175 x 42 x 29mm)

Most batteries I see are 50mm wide. If the specs are right then that really limits battery choice and has just put me off completely :(  

Anyone got one yet to confirm this?

Edit: Just been looking through Hobbykings 3s and cannot find a 4000mah and above one that will fit. Bummer.

Edit 2: Even these won't go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FLOUREON-11-1V-4500mAh-3S-30C-Lipo-Battery-for-RC-Helicopter-Hobby-Deans-Plug-/311343737325?hash=item487d8869ed:g:W3oAAOSwv0tVN4JB

Edited by dazp1976

On 06/06/2016 at 16:34, mydoddy69 said:

The pinion bearings are quite impressive and I do like the way the CVDs attach to the diff, but the case is so thin. The actual metal work looks very sturdy but that's worth nothing if the housing flexes. With all due respect to Vas and his channel, which I enjoy, he does need to branch out a little from these RTR brands and get himself some other 1:8 kits. His opinion on 'huge' and what is truly reliable may change.

Edited by mond

56 minutes ago, mond said:

The pinion bearings are quite impressive and I do like the way the CVDs attach to the diff, but the case is so thin. The actual metal work looks very sturdy but that's worth nothing if the housing flexes. With all due respect to Vas and his channel, which I enjoy, he does need to branch out a little from these RTR brands and get himself some other 1:8 kits. His opinion on 'huge' and what is truly reliable may change.

Lol it's not a Vaz vid but I get what your saying ;) 

3 hours ago, mond said:

That can't be right. Nothing but a very long thin 2S would fit. I'd look for specs elsewhere. 

That's what I was thinking but when rccaraction tested it:

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2016/06/10/exclusive-we-drive-the-all-new-arrma-nero-review/

They ended up using these batteries for testing it:

http://www.rcplanet.com/duratrax-onyx-3s-111v-5400mah-50c-soft-case-xt90-dtxc2004_p/dtxc2004.htm

Which in the specs the battery sizes are  (132 x 42 x 29mm) where the width & depth are the exact sizes for the Nero. This has aroused my suspicions a bit further.

7 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Just looking at the specs for it and spotted a flaw imho. Battery sizes :huh:! MS have got the max battery size that fits in each box listed as: 

(175 x 42 x 29mm)

Most batteries I see are 50mm wide. If the specs are right then that really limits battery choice and has just put me off completely :(  

Anyone got one yet to confirm this?

Edit: Just been looking through Hobbykings 3s and cannot find a 4000mah and above one that will fit. Bummer.

Edit 2: Even these won't go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FLOUREON-11-1V-4500mAh-3S-30C-Lipo-Battery-for-RC-Helicopter-Hobby-Deans-Plug-/311343737325?hash=item487d8869ed:g:W3oAAOSwv0tVN4JB

I know in vaz's vid he said he had just got these in to go in it but don't know if he got them to fit ? 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34288__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html

is a strange size of tray tho and you might struggle to find packs to fit that :( 

• 3 months later...

Latest bash

Fails from the above session - Broke to body posts, thats it. And i think i abused it more then enough..and i do this every single time..this time it was freeeezing, so its not strange the BP left the building ( my first )

Lol these must be a bit of a flop with the amount of promoting there getting you to do ! 

If Arrma really want folks to put there hand in there pocket and buy them perhaps they should revise the price after all Arrma are a budget brand IMO but these are no way a budget friendly RC unlike the rest of there range ;) 

Edited by mydoddy69

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

Lol these must be a bit of a flop with the amount of promoting there getting you to do ! 

If Arrma really want folks to put there hand in there pocket and buy them perhaps they should revise the price after all Arrma are a budget brand IMO but these are no way a budget friendly RC unlike the rest of there range ;) 

The Nero is their only expensive RTR, the Durango based ones are really good value. Playing devil's advocate as well, the Nero may be expensive and have issues but it doesn't consume it's own diffs like the expensive Traxxas RTRs.

59 minutes ago, mond said:

The Nero is their only expensive RTR, the Durango based ones are really good value. Playing devil's advocate as well, the Nero may be expensive and have issues but it doesn't consume it's own diffs like the expensive Traxxas RTRs.

True it does consume its own chassis though so both are exspensive paper weights IMO ;)