• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best battery connectors?

TMaxxDave

6 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Oh and I have got a wicked little soldering clamp or jig , around £10 ...

72B5FEBA-F223-4DEA-9C26-A3CC8E20AE66_zps

Are you right handed?  Holding the iron in your right hand?  The melt on the XT60 and the side you've put the wire in the jig above, suggests that you could be setting up your soldering the wrong way around based on your dominant hand?  Just a thought?

Yes I am right handed and that is just a picture from google pictures , but surely does it matter which way you hold the wire in clamp as can be held either way to tin it ... Useful can hold wire in clamp heat up with right hand holding iron and left to feed solder in . That's the way always done it and feels best for me ... None of joints are dry and nice and strong . 

I would not solder with wire in clamp this way as the other pins are in the way , what you are soldering hanging other way in the clamp 

Edited by Matt1986

1 hour ago, Matt1986 said:

Yes I am right handed and that is just a picture from google pictures , but surely does it matter which way you hold the wire in clamp as can be held either way to tin it ... Useful can hold wire in clamp heat up with right hand holding iron and left to feed solder in . That's the way always done it and feels best for me ... None of joints are dry and nice and strong . 

I would not solder with wire in clamp this way as the other pins are in the way , what you are soldering hanging other way in the clamp 

LOL! Just pointing something out regarding setting soldering work up the 'right' way round?  Trying to assist!    I didn't realise that you were so experienced, especially as you melted the XT60! ;) 

I've started using Castle 6mm bullets. Dead easy to solder, easy to connect and disconnect without putting pressure on the soldering. The only con is the cost. I tried a Chinese copy and they don't fit as well and one of them broke when I tried to spread the teeth out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mond said:

I've started using Castle 6mm bullets. Dead easy to solder, easy to connect and disconnect without putting pressure on the soldering. The only con is the cost. I tried a Chinese copy and they don't fit as well and one of them broke when I tried to spread the teeth out.

Had that several times with cheap 5.5mm bullets, definitely worth paying the extra for quality items. 

Id say that is ESC and motor isnt going to draw more than 120a. Id stick with xt-60. Im still running deans with my xerun 150a and 5000mAh 30c batteries and havent had any problems. Im looking at changing to xt-60s as i think they look better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Id say that is ESC and motor isnt going to draw more than 120a. Id stick with xt-60. Im still running deans with my xerun 150a and 5000mAh 30c batteries and havent had any problems. Im looking at changing to xt-60s as i think they look better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The only slight issue I have found with the xt60 is my esc cables are 12awg and once tinned lightly did not want to fit into the rear of the pins , had to solder onto the opening ... This is why I thought a xt90  would be better ??? 

1 hour ago, Matt1986 said:

What about if we consider what amps we are running ? 

My esc is 120a and my batteries are 2 cell  lipo 5.0 mah 30c so makes them 150a so am I guessing xt60's are too small ? Upgrade to a xt90 perhaps ?  

It doesn't work that way. Your motor, gearing and voltage dictate current draw. 30C cells aren't pumping out 150 Amps, it just means there's 150 Amps available should you need it. 

Deans : can be a right pain in the rear to solder, IF your doing it wrong ( i like to sand off the rubbish coating then tin the metal tabbings)
you MUST also use a JIG , if not you must use a second deans this helps keep the pins all lined up and acts as a mini heat sink so you DONT MELT THE PLASTIC.
these are a good choice of connector and can take a good amount of current but they can just be a pain to solder.

XT60 - 90 , the XT comes in two versions a smallish deans like XT60 and a larger version called the XT90 its more for heavy gauge wires like your 6s batterys or your 300amp esc with monster jumplead like wires. BUT they are great for those that cannot solder to well, plug a male and female together , grab some pliers and a rubber band.
grip the XT connectors with the pliers and use rubber band to keep the handle under tension gripping it all together. heat up your solder iron and tin your wire,
now pop the tip of iron onto the top of the connector and drip flow solder into it (dont fill it right ) keep iron on and slide your wire into the molten solder, do the same on other and your done. very very easy to do. 

Both are popular connectors, i know  hobbyking sells both deans and xt connectors on batterys to as well as traxxas style and others. deans and the XT connectors are a more universal rc connector everyone has one or has used one in  the hobby. 

Bullets are geart but mistakes can be made, they tend to be more used on the brushless motor wires from an esc and on brushless motors, very rare they are used loose on batterys, to much of a risk from mistaken polarity and a fried system - not so healthy lipo.

they question is this, what is more easy to unplug with cold hands, and in my heart the XT connectors beat the deans hands down when push comes to shove, but for pure safe of mind thought the deans is known to be a winner but a pain to solder and a pain to get apart in cold weather

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

58 minutes ago, Matt1986 said:

I have not driven the car my xt60's are on just programmed the esc and set servo trim up ... May swap over I'm thinking , be happier if cable was inside the pin a bit more ... May pop Upto my modelshop after work and pick a pair up 

just fire up the car those xt 60's will be fine, if you think they are a little on the small side and the wire is not snug inside the connector go a size up to the xt90.

deans and xt are both good connectors so have faith and run that darn thing for us lol !!!!

I've always used 5.5 (I think) castle bullets from the start but recently got wound up more and more at the wire moving separately looking a mess in my eyes so just converted all my stuff too these 

hobby king HXT 4mm  they come in big pack at Good value 

Just one plug for switching batteries around now and charging them. The only hiccup I had was putting them on the wirring going too my 150 a hobby wing esc but the battery leads go on easy enough :)

Edit note ! Just remember too put the plastic part on BEFORE the bullets haha

Edited by fletch101

Have been running deans plugs for a while now, but must admit that they are not the greatest to solder a wire on, not heard of the XT60's until now, might buy some and give them a go before my RC Fleet grows any larger.