• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New KM X2

beano123

Had a look at the X2 today and everything was tight so decided to fire it up. First off I reset the end points of both throttle and steering to 50% as I had been told that the servo's could burn out if left at factory settings. With this done I put a third of a tank of fuel in it primed it and 3rd pull of the starter it fired up and settled at a fast idle. After a few minutes I turned the idle screw done a tad and the engine idled perfectly so let it run for about 20 minutes. So far I'm quite impressed. I was told that my X2 is from the 5th batch imported and KM have ironed out a few of the niggles which have plagued the earlier batches i'm not saying its perfect but so far so good.

Edited by beano123

Why did you leave it to idle for 20 minutes?

This is NOT a nitro engine and does not need a 'break in' .... just gentle running for a tank or so. Idling a 2 stroke for extended periods is just a good way of fouling a plug and filling up the crankcase with unburnt fuel. It has no value whatsoever.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

This is NOT a nitro engine and does not need a 'break in' .... just gentle running for a tank or so. Idling a 2 stroke for extended periods is just a good way of fouling a plug and filling up the crankcase with unburnt fuel. It has no value whatsoever.

It's his first petrol 2 stroke and pretty much every where says to run the engine in, seems harsh having a moan at him for thinking what he thought best on HIS engine.

And there's still no clear answer in regards to petrol 2 stroke engine break in and the necessity of it.

42 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

It's his first petrol 2 stroke and pretty much every where says to run the engine in, seems harsh having a moan at him for thinking what he thought best on HIS engine.

And there's still no clear answer in regards to petrol 2 stroke engine break in and the necessity of it.

I'm not sure why you're such a provocative poster?  :P  I fail to see where there is any 'moaning' going on whatsoever?

nitoholic's post, as all of his are, is about ensuring that good quality FACTUAL information is available on this site.  This means that in 15 months when someone searches, they don't think that idling a two stroke is necessary, the norm or indeed desirable in any way whatsoever.   :good:

Edited by Carpmart
  • Like 1

Stock settings on carb, fire it up, set EPA to 50%, let it warm up for a couple mins, then drive around in figures of 8 with NO WOT for half a tank, let it cool down, do the same for the rest of the tank, then 100% EPA and drive like you stole it!! 

Oh im a petrol noob, but used the above for 2 engines and 1 race ported head kit and had zero issues 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Just been watching the ORB engine break in video and it seems i've done it right according to them. As an engineer who has worked with all kinds of engines over the years I think I've got an idea on how to do things.

3 hours ago, Carpmart said:

I'm not sure why you're such a provocative poster?  :P  I fail to see where there is any 'moaning' going on whatsoever?

nitoholic's post, as all of his are, is about ensuring that good quality FACTUAL information is available on this site.  This means that in 15 months when someone searches, they don't think that idling a two stroke is necessary, the norm or indeed desirable in any way whatsoever.   :good:

There is no factual information in regards to break in of these engines, I don't break mine in as there's no point and I'm impatient.

But if someone else chooses to do it for peace of mind then that's up to them.

Also should of known you would be in this thread as it has X2 in the title :P

5 hours ago, scatteh316 said:

It's not a 'moan' and neither is it harsh. There are also PLENTY of sources for information regarding running in piston ported single ring 2 stroke engines. Just depends where you look and how you search. And being 'impatient' clearly has not resulted in a blown engine...though I would not advise that as an approach.

These motors use plated barrels, so it is only the ring that beds in really. It's a thin coating...and when that wears, it's time to replace the head. That and bearings and seals to settle in and gaskets. I always check all the critical nuts and bolts as they can slack off  after a few heat cycles.

'Break In' is for nitro engines that do not use rings, and rely on a tight tolerance to give compression, along with a liner that is not machined parallel. The piston squashes into the bore, and you have to do that gradually with excess lubrication. The heat levels are also critical as you get differing thermal expansion between the alloy piston and the chromed brass liner.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scatteh316 said:

There is no factual information in regards to break in of these engines, I don't break mine in as there's no point and I'm impatient.

But if someone else chooses to do it for peace of mind then that's up to them.

Also should of known you would be in this thread as it has X2 in the title :P

Should of known you'd be on this thread posting drivel as usual... :P

• Like 1

I'm personally not having a go, but don't take too much notice of what the mighty yanks say.

It's your engine and do with it as you wish, but it can be very disheartening if you have a bad experience early on.

What NH is absolutely sound advice, I've run in at least 20 engines in my years in the hobby, that exact way.

Having it idling for prolonger periods of time will definitely create unnecessary heat build up.

That is factual, despite what some people think, there has been plenty of tests done over the years that confirm this.

Managed to get the X2 break in complete today, ran the truck around at slow to moderate speed for a tank then upped the speed a bit for the next one then let rip with the last one. I must say the truck is superb the last tank was a blast running on wet tarmac had it power sliding all over the place. So far no problems no leaky diffs or anything. Well happy.

Mark.

• Like 3

I thought I would order some bling for the X2.

So far I've fitted all the alloy hop up parts that came with it and added alloy billet shock towers,yet to fit DT1 air filter, DDM intake stack and outerwear filter cover and a body wrap from Joker designs which is for the 5t but who cares. I'll post a picture when its done.

Edited by beano123

On 21/12/2015, 06:45:45, scatteh316 said:

Almost everyone i know have just ran there engines gently (ie: no more than 3/4 throttle for about 3 tanks, then let rip, this is how i did it with my original zen 260, and it lasted years, literally, infact it still works as i gave it to a mate and he uses it now :-) a couple of my mates also just run them hard as from 1st tank doing WOT etc, again no problems.. as nitro said, these engines are nowt like nitro, they are however very similar to strimmer engines, and we use these with WOT from new with no break in :-) 

Edited by rctruckz