• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show us your Tamiya!

XV Pilot

55 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Another M-size offroader:

DSC03072_zpsogby8bec.JPG

This is a M-04 fitted with TL-01B suspension and an ABC Nissan Sunny pickup shell. Unlike the road going M-04 that is a right challenge to drive, this one handles sweetly and is a real joy to bash with.

Am I right in thinking you have been to clumber park with that? Maybe a iconic meet? Recognise that and must say it was superb if it is the one I remember....

24 minutes ago, Rover Man said:

Built, Not bought :thumbsup:

picture0713028029.jpg

picture0880439150.jpg

Ahh this old chestnut, I remember the build thread for this and I'll still maintain to this day (I'm not a scania fan) but that has to be the very best scania that's been done, even to this day, it was a build thread that will stick with me for many more years......

21 hours ago, big gaz said:

Am I right in thinking you have been to clumber park with that? Maybe a iconic meet? Recognise that and must say it was superb if it is the one I remember...

Yes, this one has been to a Clumber Park meet. Glad you like it! :)

Here is another one from my fleet:

TT-01 Silvia

Beneath the Matrixline Nissan Silvia shell lies one of my ex-race TT-01s, running a Kenjo Drift motor and locked diffs in old-school drifter fashion.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

And another:

hp8h-1_zps3oesqnn9.jpeg

This TL-01B Baja King is not far off being a stock build. Apart from the Big 3, alternative paint and Fastrax Turf Rippers on FTX Vantage wheels, it is stock even down to the Johnson motor. As such it is not particularly fast, but it looks good and runs for ages!

That is a really nice car!

• Like 1

On 2 December 2015 at 20:16:39, babylon said:

Am I the only one that doesn't get at all sentimental about Tamiya, Don't get me wrong, When I got into the hobby you only really had Tamiya and Kyosho, With the odd Hirobo and AYK  model thrown in, My first car, Like many, Was a Hornet or three just as it was released, A Lancia Rally, Subaru Brat, FAV,Astute, Audi Quattro,Super Sabre and a host of others( Always wanted a HotShot and Super Champ, And never got one).

Would I like to pick up a HotShot now, Probably, But am I gonna pay 160 quid for one, Err, No, 90% still seem to come with plastic shocks, And now, Just like back then, Most still seem to come without bearings, And were in gods name are they still getting them 380 motors from.

It's called nostalgia when life was simpler we all had hair! my dad started me with a hornet some 25 years ago we are still here doing the same, only now there are three of us, tamiya bought rc cars to the masses and there's nothing wrong with that.

some brilliant cars btw  

• Like 3

This is my DF-02 Rising Storm:

DF-02 Rising Storm

Running a TZ motor and the usual upgrades including the resin mod to the lower suspension mounts, it has raced a few times but is primarily a basher - a role it fulfills very well as it is tough, capable and quite quick.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

XV Pilot

Please can you start a thread dedicated to your self -  you have totally owned this thread so far imo.

Love to learn more about the M chassis offroad mods (more photos)- I always think if I had to have one chassis in life it might be the mini but might M chassis as it can do indoor, road and buy the looks of what you've done, off road too!

I'm flattered, but I wouldn't say my modest fleet deserves a thread of its own - there are many people on here with far more impressive fleets than mine.

I am however more than happy to share more pics of my little M-04 offroader. 

Here it is prior to paint:

20131219_224701_zps2s94oqpg.jpg

Here it is with the shell off:

DSC03284_zpssrkscyyy.jpg

The conversion was very simple, just a case of unbolting the stock suspension and attaching the TL01B components. The front upper arms bolt to the rear of their outer mounts, rather than the front as on the TL01B, but other than that, the suspension goes on just like it would on the buggy.

DSC03283_zpst4zwhvtc.jpg

Longer shocks are needed obviously - 80mm hole-to-hole fits perfectly up front. I used Ansmann 75mm ones with long eyelets at the bottom to bring them to the right length.

DSC03285_zpsrhm5cccc.jpg

The back requires slightly shorter shocks than the front. 70mm hole-to-hole seems ideal. Again I used Ansmann 75mm items, but this time with the standard eyelet and a 5mm internal spacer to achieve the correct length. I also added a TL01 rear bumper for extra protection.

DSC03286_zpsetlbdbhw.jpg

The opening for the steering tierods on the M04 is ever so slightly further back than on the TL01B, so the steering servo has to be mounted as far back as its mounting lugs will allow, otherwise the tierods bind against the chassis. This could also be solved by using thinner metal tierods rather than the thick plastic items supplied on the TL01B sprues, or by using a slightly shorter servo saver. However as you can see, you can achieve the required clearance with the stock parts.

DSC03292_zpsnhzlskt8.jpg

The little plastic "pannier" intended for the MSC servo makes for a nice spot to mount the receiver if you are running an ESC.

DSC03288_zpsyx1ueazx.jpg

The front bumper was a little more of a challenge. The stock M04 bumper consists of a piece of foam sandwiched between two plastic mouldings. The upper moulding screws to the lower one, and the lower one screws to the car. However I wanted a kick-up front bumper, so I took the TL01B item, drilled two holes in it to match the positions of the pre-existing holes in the lower M04 bumper moulding, and bolted it on. This gives the car a nice sturdy front bumper that protects the bodyshell and helps it ride up and over obstructions.

20131222_120511_zpspshuc20z.jpg

When I built this car originally, I didn't have any suitable adjustable tierods to hand, so I built it with the stock TL01B fixed plastic links. They do the job well enough, but adjustable links fitted with ball connectors would be a better solution. I happened to have acquired some 3mm stainless threaded rod since the initial build, so I made up some links and fitted them.

20140627_224239_zpssmt0nt9t.jpg

Just to give an idea of its small size relative to my WT01 Wildfoot:

DSC03071_zpsmruip7cs.JPG

Edited by XV Pilot
Added more photos
  • Like 2

...And here is one of my standard size trucks:

WR-01 Twin Detonator

A WR-01 Twin Detonator with 4WS, extended shocks and towers as well as a few other useful mods, it is a great basher that is very capable offroad and extremely reliable - despite seeing regular use over a period of several years, having been driven by racers and complete novices, in conditions ranging from African desert to British snow and everything in between, it has yet to suffer a single breakage!

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1