• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show us your Tamiya!

XV Pilot

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:16, 53HRA said:

Spent around 9 years looking for this - 35+ years of Tamiya History! Although it looks tired and well used, it's mechanically good and thankfully it does not have all the common wear and tear factors. There were a  couple of bits missing which have since been purchased. Now it just needs a very long, careful and detailed restoration :good:

DOuhUrT.jpg

That is seriously awesome, I'm very jealous of that one, 

£315 as it stands in the photos, but the missing/damaged parts (headlight lens, shocks, front bumper mounts, original matching transmitter, rear badge plus other little bits), added an additional £200ish. So just over £500 in total.

The crazy thing is, it came from a guy at work who open and honestly told me what he paid for it (but knew it's worth more).... £70 :scared:

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

"to take part in the teapot races that form part of the Asylum Steampunk Festival"

The what that forms part of the what?? :omgblinky:

Sir, I demand more information!

Edited by PraetoR

5 hours ago, PraetoR said:

The what that forms part of the what?? :omgblinky:

Sir, I demand more information!

Splendid Teapot Racing started in New Zealand but has spread worldwide within the steampunk community. The idea is a simple one: take a teapot, mount it on a model car chassis and race it around an obstacle course against the clock.

Now of course simply sticking a teapot on a model car chassis is far too easy and simple for most steampunks, so it wasn't long before the teapot racers became a lot more elaborate. Most now feature significant amounts of ornamentation and many, like mine, represent steampunk-style vehicles that would transport a teapot rather than a teapot simply mounted on a bare chassis.

The rules are very simple. The vehicle has to be no more than 30 centimetres wide, 30 centimetres tall and 40 centimetres long and has to feature a teapot somewhere in its design. There are no restrictions on motors, batteries or drivetrain which leads to a wide variety of models appearing under the teapots.

Some people focus on the ornamentation in an attempt to win the concours d'elegance side of the competition and base their models on very cheap toy grade vehicles, while others go for outright performance and build simple, lightweight structures around full blown race grade models. I have taken the middle path, using a hobby grade Tamiya monster truck chassis that gives pretty decent performance and excellent maneuverability thanks to its four wheel steering and building what I hope is a visually pleasing body that is still quite lightweight.

The Asylum Steampunk Festival happens in Lincoln over the August bank holiday weekend, and is now in its 10th year. It features most if not all of the eccentric activities associated with the steampunk genre, such as tea dueling, jetpack racing, various exhibitions and competitions involving the display of home built Victorian style anachronistic technology, music performances, fashion events, dinners, dances and of course teapot racing!

• Haha 1

RiqiuAA.jpg
Picked up this little beauty, Needs some love but will make a great carpark drifter :D (once i sort the stripped spur and check the bearings)
Is a TT-01 with the 3racing chassis conversion

Edited by sppiinn
Clearer picture
  • Like 1