• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SJCAM SJ5000+ or GoPro Hero 4 Silver?

johninderby

I have the Go Pro 3 Black Plus..  That has 4K, never use it lol, no point.

1080p at full fps is more than enough.

If it was me, as suggested above, try and get a Go Pro 3, if not then SJCAM.

4K is good for recording and then using that recording for photo's.. as in pause a particular frame and use as a photo.

Not seen or heard of anyone using the 5000 yet John, the 4000 was great as everyone knows, so true 60fps would make it even better. 

I've been eying up the Xiaomi:

http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_153557.html

Would love one GEARBEST hint hint, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the UK for it - though I've heard good things.

Looking like the SJ5000+ may be the way to go. Image quality is good and brighter than the SJ4000. Uses a Panasonic sensor.

Perhaps get it for now with the knowledge that even if I get the GoPro later on it would make a good spare cam that could be used where I wouldn't want to risk the GoPro.

Don't need it for stills really as have a compact digital camera that is a lot more capable than a Hero 4 anyway.

John

Edited by johninderby

i had the same issue a about a year ago. whether to get a go pro or a cheapo cam, i eventually went for the go pro 3+ white. it had the feature i wanted, the support and parts availability is awesome, and i got offered a cheap one from a friend. I have seem both cams in action and although the sj4000 was good there was some difference i thought would be a disadvantage. I found the sj4000 had issues as lower light. the picture wasnt as good as the go pro. the motion blur on the sj4000 was quite bad, maybe have been the version i had i dont know but no such issues on the go pro, the only issue i had with go pro is i had to update the firmware as it used to crash badly when i connected to computer. but once firmware updates. were installed works like a treat with no further issues.

id go go pro if one came up at right money, or if it is just for fun and no pro editing suit then sj4000 is cheap and does the job.

I have a GoPro and to be honest the cost puts me off using it on the RC car, I have a friend who literally slings his around for different shots but I can't bring myself to do it.

Personally I would go with the SJ and get the use out of it, as you say you can always 'upgrade' later :)

I have a GoPro and to be honest the cost puts me off using it on the RC car, I have a friend who literally slings his around for different shots but I can't bring myself to do it.

Personally I would go with the SJ and get the use out of it, as you say you can always 'upgrade' later :)

Stick it on the car,its meant to take some knocks :)

I had my Hero 3 Black on my Summit before,okay it's not that fast but it was perfectly fine and was okay with a few knocks and roll overs.

Edited by smeghead28

the go pros are used on 1:1 drift cars. rally cars. and such like the cases take the hammer. i ;ve seen them come of a high speed car. the case was mashed but the camera out it popped all fine, new case and back in service.

the first time they get glooped in mud and water is nerve racking but the cases are good quality and made to be waterproof. where as some lower cases are not as good.

The SJ4000+ is my favourite, I've not had my hands on the SJ5000+ but maybe doing in the near future.

For RC use an SJCAM is all you'll ever really need in truth.

I think personally the GoPro has become a bit of a gimmick.

My SJ4000 and SJ4000+ cases are 100% waterproof, I've submerged both with the cameras inside purely as a test and no water got inside.

After a bit more research have found that considering what I want it for the GoPro does have a few features that would make it more suitable. If was purely for on car use then the SJ5000+ would do just fine.

Shop just down the street has a good price on the GoPro that pretty well matches the best UK price online.

Decision getting closer.

John

For what it's worth I don't have a huge amount of experience and if I'm honest I haven't spent alot of time researching, I just got an SJ4000 as it seemed good value and I thought it might get a hammering.

My best mate films everything in 4k from his hex (go pro hero 3 black I think). Great quality looks incredible on his 4k TV. Completely useless if you want to edit or upload as it uses huge amounts of data so he's all but given up putting video on YouTube.

However compared to my SJ4000 on a large screen they are chalk and cheese. I was reasonably happy with mine other than being unable to stop the shaking. But having seen it on a big screen the difference is massive even in plain HD.

https://youtu.be/qTtjNcJ9gpA

This was filmed last weekend.

Just my 10p, probably complete rubbish.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by Markswebpages

Think I've made up my mind on the Hero 4 Silver.

If it was just for uploading on-car stuff to YouTube the SJ would be more than good enough but I want to use it for other things as well.

John

there is a great in depth review for the sj if you want to learn a bit about it here: 

i think im going to get the m10 cube one

You made the right choice I have the sj4000+ and the go pro hero 4 silver and the go pro is a better cam both on build and image quality ..

Don't get me wrong tho if your on a budget the sj range is great buts it's never going to be a gopro, there still great cams tho for the money IMO