• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

Trying to charge. How long does first charge normally take? Been on about a hour now…battery isn’t warm or anything (guessing that’s good?)

image.jpg

took about a hour and a half, green light on now.

Edited by Seminole81

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of questions I couldn’t see answers for when I scanned through...

1) If you charge your lipo but life or weather gets in the way of your trip out but you intend to go out soon instead, how many days would you keep it in a fully charged state before sticking it down to storage voltage?

2) New battery with higher capacity arrived and I ran it today, but didn’t get anything like the run time I expected - old and new compared in the picture below, along with stock 2950kv motor and stock ESC - the old 3250mah battery seemed to last longer, but performance better with new battery - is it simply that at 80c the new battery can let the amps out 4 times faster??

C60A305B-2170-4E01-BF42-D5A11E36774C.jpeg

D5696456-ABFA-4FD7-9341-CAC2DDD6960A.jpeg

61078C5C-FDC1-42DB-AD44-2E8ECF2167C2.jpeg

Edited by walkbythesea

1) depends how brave you're feeling, I wouldn't leave it more than 2-3 days at most though.

2) As stated, conventional wisdom is to do a few 'gentle' discharge cycles to break-in the lipo before canning it. Bare in mind though not every brand labels their lipos accurately ( cough Maxamps cough ), so... yeah.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suicideneil said:

conventional wisdom is to do a few 'gentle' discharge cycles to break-in the lipo before canning it

Ooops...  😜😈🤪

...well I’ve not been that gentle, but then my Outlaw isn’t exactly a mega firebreathing monster either so I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best 🙃

What’s classed as “damage” to a hard case LiPo? After a few runs, I’ve had scratches etc. but also noticed this on one? It’s been strapped in fine etc. it’s not raised up or indented either? Just somewhat deformed?

1DD01878-2D23-45E8-BF59-417DDFA3D2DC.jpeg

8A394296-88E7-4D2E-AD20-6AE340D5CCDA.jpeg

• 1 month later...

mah + c vs runtime comparisons…?

So I basically have three different rated types of batteries, all 2s

3250mah 20c voltz

5200mah 80c zeee

6200mah 60c zeee

Using my 2950kv brushless Outlaw as my test bed flat out over the same offroad course each time. 

The 3250 gives me 10 minutes

The 5200 about the same but with very noticeable much improved punch and acceleration

The 6200 gives 12 minutes

The 3250 gets hottest under discharge

Does this sound about right???

I had hoped for a much more improved runtime with the higher mah batteries, but I guess the more easily available amps with the combined improved c rating is offsetting runtime against punch and acceleration?  Is that correct?

That sounds right to me anyway mate 

the 3250 isnt able to supply the demand of the esc/motor but the higher c rated batteries can hence increase in performance 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

That sounds right to me anyway mate 

the 3250 isnt able to supply the demand of the esc/motor but the higher c rated batteries can hence increase in performance 

The 6200’s last DAYS in the Sendero as it simply doesn’t pull the amps 😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2021 at 08:06, Allan k said:

‘Im new to lipo batteries..  I will need a one or more for my losi lmt when it arrives eventually…  I decided to go for 2s, but some are high are voltage 7,6volt and not 7,4 what to choose and why?

Personally I’d probably just go with the standard LiPo as I would expect these to be a bit cheaper and I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference (all else being equal with their rated capacity and discharge rate) just by taking a truck out for a play. 

12 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Personally I’d probably just go with the standard LiPo as I would expect these to be a bit cheaper and I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference (all else being equal with their rated capacity and discharge rate) just by taking a truck out for a play. 

Okay,  I had the same thoughts. But what is the difference inside the battery? I thought all lipos were 3,7volt 

5 hours ago, Allan k said:

Okay,  I had the same thoughts. But what is the difference inside the battery? I thought all lipos were 3,7volt 

I can't tell you the exact changes as I've not looked into this in any detail but there will be some changes to the battery chemistry or construction materials compared to the standard packs which will allow them to be safely charged up to the higher voltage. I would expect these changes to be fairly subtle and I doubt it would be possible to distinguish between the two just by looking at a battery pack (ignoring the fact that they would probably have stickers on pointing out their differences)

On 07/07/2021 at 08:06, Allan k said:

‘Im new to lipo batteries..  I will need a one or more for my losi lmt when it arrives eventually…  I decided to go for 2s, but some are high are voltage 7,6volt and not 7,4 what to choose and why?

Lipo cell is 4.2 volt when fully charged and around 3.7 , 3.8 when storage charge. 

When they go below 3.2 volt they getting electrolyte degradation  and below 3.0 v irreversible damage.

2s lipo means 2 cell so fully charge 2s is 8.4 actually. 

All my 2s lipos have 7.4 on a label so 3.7 x2.

I always go for higher C rating that my ESC ask for to be on a safe side.

1 hour ago, Douge one said:

Lipo cell is 4.2 volt when fully charged and around 3.7 , 3.8 when storage charge. 

When they go below 3.2 volt they getting electrolyte degradation  and below 3.0 v irreversible damage.

2s lipo means 2 cell so fully charge 2s is 8.4 actually. 

All my 2s lipos have 7.4 on a label so 3.7 x2.

I always go for higher C rating that my ESC ask for to be on a safe side.

Okay thanks,  what C rating is recommended for truck like the lmt?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

I picked up a FTX Outlaw buggy last week and it came with a Voltz 2S 3250mah 20C battery.

I would like to buy one or two more Lipos but after delving through the Modelworld web shop I'm now confused as to what battery manufacturer is best. I have a choice of the following brands so what would you guys recommend - or are they much the same in terms of performance and quality?

Voltz

Corally

Overlander

HPI Plazma

Many thanks,

Andrew

5 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Have a look on Amazon

Zeee,Voray and Sunpadow are decent batteries

Nice one, thanks. It'll come as no surprise to you that I've not heard of them yet. It's a big learning curve.

Thanks again,

Andrew

I've always had good results with.
Gens Ace
Turnigy
Intellect
The Voltz that comes with the outlaw brushless is decent, had mine a good few years and still holds its charge.

I would avoid these tho, they come bloated and dont balance, the leads also snap as the outputs are so tight, decent paperweights but nothing more.
Optipower Ultimate Racing = 😞
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/optipower-2s-6500mah-race-pack-no-connector-443122

9 hours ago, Redback said:

I've always had good results with.
Gens Ace
Turnigy
Intellect
The Voltz that comes with the outlaw brushless is decent, had mine a good few years and still holds its charge.

I would avoid these tho, they come bloated and dont balance, the leads also snap as the outputs are so tight, decent paperweights but nothing more.
Optipower Ultimate Racing = 😞
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/optipower-2s-6500mah-race-pack-no-connector-443122

I had the exact same issue with the Optipower 😡