• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi DBXL owners club

Bigjimknickers

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lazkopat said:

I'd like to bump this thread as I can't see any recent activity on it. Where's all the DBXL owners??

Where u been? Not seen you at bash

Gonna snow now then :anime:

brushed off cobwebs?

hopefully be at next meet need to service DB first.

Edited by R46

On 31/07/2016 at 14:28, lazkopat said:

I'd like to bump this thread as I can't see any recent activity on it. Where's all the DBXL owners??

I'm now one, as of today!  Gonna keep it largely stock, even the muffler.

Whereabouts do you guys meet, given the London/North London slant?  I'm never far from there of a Saturday.

Arif

Hi all! Anyone have any experience or know of somebody who has  experience with the reed valve SCZ engine on a DBXL? Is it as good as it seems? How does it go on the DBXL?

Opinions will be of great help.

19 hours ago, Arif said:

I'm now one, as of today!  Gonna keep it largely stock, even the muffler.

Whereabouts do you guys meet, given the London/North London slant?  I'm never far from there of a Saturday.

Arif

I'll pm you with details mate

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

I think of buying a DBXL, I've found one for a good price brand new and what to know what people think of it?

Any info would be welcomed

Cheers,

Neil

8 minutes ago, Atec-Neil said:

Evening all,

I think of buying a DBXL, I've found one for a good price brand new and what to know what people think of it?

Cheers,

Neil

start at page one an read on  dude....:good:..or better still post up sum pics of what u may b buying and we`ll give u our best opinions....:good:

well..once u`ve read this through this thread...and ur happy with what u`re buyin into ...go for it...:good:..I`ve only ran my brushless one afew times...like 3-4 times so cant really  comment much.....its growing on me....but I`m not sure if I wanna make it petrol.....I got engine  to do so if I wish.....they need sum essential upgrades out the box....chassis  braces...top steering plate brace.....ally centre shaft holder/brace thingy...but what rc don't need upgrades.......mine came with these already fitted

.20160611_182228_zpsk8pbjtg2.jpg

20160613_171117_zpsox7anmyz.jpg

centre shaft holder thing

20160613_162600_zps0xudgqnq.jpg

20160613_163117_zpswuhivtpk.jpg

Edited by evssv

1 hour ago, Atec-Neil said:

Evening all,

Cheers,

Neil

Neil buddy - get it! It's the dog's danglies - and I mean out of the box, essentially.  I've been through a fair few different genres of RC, all well-known rigs - and have been impressed overall with the DBXL, and especially so given the price.  The thing here is - I don't 'bash' the way most might (I'm 42) - and my relationship with it is as a 'scale vehicle' - i.e. you'd never jump a real desert buggy a hundred feet (= 20ft scaled-up). It's big enough to my mind to be treated as a 'vehicle', as opposed to a toy - and so I will end up skirmishing with it in woodland, mild jumps, and decent 'off-roading', wheelspinning about, etc - and for example running in and out of ditches. Basically the kind of stuff I'd do with a Landrover Defender/Bowler Wildcat - but faster.  In that setting, I think it's simply fantastic and rugged - I've not hopped up anything notable on mine at all. It's even running the stock plastic servo arms.  I was personally impressed that it came with Spektrum branded servos out of the box, and have equally had no need to upgrade them.

I did find the dampers (what the young uns call shocks - but the springs absorb the shock) filled with too thick a fluid for my liking - but altering this was a case of setting it up for my liking (not 'fixing' anything). And with my off-roading antics, I needed maximum opposing axle articulation - and so removed my sway bars (anti-roll bars, in the 1:1 world).

This thread 'covers' you for most scenarios and issues therefrom - but with my rather toned-down approach, much of it doesn't apply, and never will.

Also - one thing I do which is controversial in the RC - is lubricating every single metal-on-metal interaction - from gears to drive-cups, and bearings where I can get to them. To my mind, it's just basic for longevity - and I have concluded that the phenomenon of thereby creating an abrasive 'grinding-paste' as the lubrication picks up dirt, is outweighed by the phenomenon of metal-to-metal interfaces liking lubrication!! I've for example in my Losi 5iveT - never had a drive cup or pin wear out (the infamous front one).

I will confess to a slight bias here - I live in Northampton, and if you did this, we could 'bash' together!

Arif

Edited by Arif
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, All the gear no eye deer! said:

Hey DBXL owners!

Recently got into 1/5 scale after being diagnosed with a spinal disease which has halted my Quad Supermoto racing, got myself a couple of DBXLs based on hearing about their value for money fun! A big part of my requirement when choosing which 1/5 scale was being able to afford more than one car so that i could invite friends to join the fun without committing financially etc. Since getting my cars ive convinced a good friend to get involved and he has done the same  (see pics)

Have just entered into my quieter time of year with work so thought i would come say hello as ill hoping be getting some time to play with my new toys very soon!

Looking for advice on how to cost effectively upgrade them for reliability if anyone could help please

So far based on advice from Nigel at Freeprawn they have been treated to super bee kill switches, samba pipes, Savox SW0240MG steering servos and 2300ah lipos.

also quite interested in having a crack at the racing scene in the not too distant future, i know DBXLs are frowned upon for racing but im happy to crawl around at the back for the time being! :)

Ive been advised by someone who used i know through single seater racing to go and watch an event at the Nene Valley track which im planning to do ASAP to learn more!!

Really just looking for DBXL advice and to meet anyone with any 1/5 scale who wants to meet up for fun, im based near Bicester!

Thanks in advance

DBXLs!.jpg

DBXLs2.jpg

You can't go wrong with Nene Valley great bunch of guys and I can recommend if you fancy a go at racing their summer/winter series are great :)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dalex said:

Anyone point me at a conversion chart for diff/shock oil

Looking for 30,000 CS diff oil and

3000 CS shock oil 

Both for a Losi DBXL

Cheers

Dave

This may be of some assistance,

IMG_0011.JPG

Edited by QRC