• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Firework display

jp79er

Went to out local display tonight, and low an behold a quadcopter came over an was getting up close and personal with the firework.....tbh was surprised a couple of times it was taken out by the fire work as show don't hold back with the barrages and it was getting very close a showered in sparks...

Tbh there is a time and place to fly these things and to me that was being a bit silly, when it finished it dropped down in to the carpark behind. ...i wouldn't be surprised if the fuzz was watching where it was going and the person ended up getting their collar felt.....

Posted by me ????

• Like 1

Too much money?

Just a moron?

In need of education, possibly at Her Majesty's Pleasure?

Any of the above!

Just an idiot.

Correctly aligned, safely discharged fireworks could have been deflected into the crowd - not the brightest of sparks eh?

Al.

• Like 1

My reply was after having just visited our 'local' official council display.

It was quite spectacular, but there were upwards of perhaps 15-20,000 people there.

If any of those fireworks were deflected, then the type of fireworks being used would most definitely have caused injury.

Perhaps I'm reaching that stage in life where what is interesting and fun to many - taking a selfie on the motorway at 150+ mph for example - is just plain stupidity.

I'm fairly certain the authorities would have postponed the display, if possible, whilst the 'perpetrator' was located and 'restrained' before continuing.

Try explaining to the 15-20,000 spectators freezing their 'parts' off waiting for the display that it was a bit of fun!!

Al.

• Like 1

If it wasn't over the heads of the crowd, or too close to the fireworks, then no biggie. If it was directly over the crowd, then yeah, far too risky. It would only need one glitch and down it comes, then it wouldn't even need a strike from a firework.

He doesn't need punishing, just an admonishing finger to say "yes, you can fly it and film the display, but not over the crowd and keep it back out of the blast zone".

Job done.

fireworks have to be a set distance from the viewing public by law. 

we are allowed no more than 150m in distance from public-buildings etc etc yadda yadda. 

truth is, it was dark, in the dark the human eye works alot harder, it does not have the clarity of distance 

its all down to rods and cones inside the eyeball itself. so what you think is close could be a fair distance way.

your eye picks up color more than movement due to the rod/cone . 

so its highly possible the pilot was in his own right to fly, he had completed the rule set, he had navigation lighting

and was placed away from the main bulk of the crowd

Whilst I agree with most of what has been said it does seem slightly odd to me the quad is viewed as a potential hazard whilst we seem to forget that the activity it was filming was basically glorified explosions!

Okay the explosions apparently happen in a controlled and safe manner but if one decended into the crowd somehow or misfired would we then call for action to ban fireworks?

Also when people send rockets up and the casing comes back to earth where do they land?

Okay maybe they are nowhere near as heavy but could still cause potential injury.

People call for legislation for quads but what about going to the local corner shop and buying some explosives to shoot randomly into the air?

Whilst I agree with most of what has been said it does seem slightly odd to me the quad is viewed as a potential hazard whilst we seem to forget that the activity it was filming was basically glorified explosions!

Okay the explosions apparently happen in a controlled and safe manner but if one decended into the crowd somehow or misfired would we then call for action to ban fireworks?

Also when people send rockets up and the casing comes back to earth where do they land?

Okay maybe they are nowhere near as heavy but could still cause potential injury.

People call for legislation for quads but what about going to the local corner shop and buying some explosives to shoot randomly into the air?

In my opinion that is a little off topic. Plus the spectators chose to be in the environment and are aware of the dangers therefore take responsibility to some degree if something where to happen with the fireworks. However they would not be standing watching the fireworks and expecting a 3,4,5kg object with rotors come hurtling at them? Controlled fireworks displays will be insured and safety precautions taken, flying an unmanned remote control device will be neither.

This part more-or-less says it all:

"Ch Insp Sean Hogan said: "These aircraft can weigh upwards of 22lb (10kg) and the potential for injury when flying such a vehicle over a crowd of more than 30,000 people in the pitch black and in close proximity to fireworks is substantial."

A woman arrested for obstructing officers was later de-arrested after police decided to take no further action.

"We are not trying to discourage people from flying such aircraft, but ask that if you wish to do so, to consider the environment they are used in, the safety of other people and the laws governing their proper use," Mr Hogan added.

Heaton Park is Manchester's biggest green space and its annual fireworks display regularly attracts thousands of people."

Al.

• Like 2

About that first article, about the rules, can anyone clarify whether flying FPV changes the rules on where you can fly? I didn't think it did but according to that forum/blog interpretation of the CAA rules, you could legally fly over fireworks (or any crowd) if not FPV'ing? That would seem odd?

So according to that irish article, providing the heaton park droner wasn't FPV'ing, he's got nowt to worry about? (I might have read it wrong but the link now won't work for me)

Edited by Smoothybb