• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I'm a professional and...

oodboo

I'm an IT professional (and by professional I don't mean I fix laptops and stuff, I manage entire networks). So I'm an IT professional and during the course of my duties I was once asked the best way to clean a monitor. In my professional capacity, and with all seriousness and a straight face, I recommend they wait until the end of the day and take off the sock they've been wearing all day and while it's still "fresh" use that to clean their monitor.

I can't remember the details of who, when or why but that sticks in my mind.

So what rediculous advice have you given?

When people ask about bringing in products quicker, if they're on a boat somewhere I tell them to google Ships Phonelist and see if they can speak to the captain about speeding things up a bit.

Sometimes I'll tell them we could get a helicopter out to the boat if our container is at the top of the stack. They ask how much, I say................ probably about

I work for fluke UK Ltd as alot may know, they make stuff such as multifunction testers and calibration units, we had an electrician come in ranting that his unit was broken, the LCD screen wasn't lighting up ect, and he has only just got it, I don't think he understood the smirk on my face when I told him to put the batteries in first, but my advice to him was helpful... Read the manual and maybe think about changing careers,

Some people ey

I too am in the computer trade. me being a IT consultant & pc engineer jack of all trades.... master of a few :).

however I have said a few things to folks trying to fully help plus I was saying any help I give etc with a straight face, only to be looked at strange when a few end users ask me really silly question or 3 !. I just try to explain it so basic I all most go sleep my self as its takes time for a few folks to fully understand, or try to understand something so simple.

I will have to think of the best 5 silly questions I have been asked asap & type them in.

I work for fluke UK Ltd as alot may know, they make stuff such as multifunction testers and calibration units, we had an electrician come in ranting that his unit was broken, the LCD screen wasn't lighting up ect, and he has only just got it, I don't think he understood the smirk on my face when I told him to put the batteries in first, but my advice to him was helpful... Read the manual and maybe think about changing careers,

Some people ey

Went to IP expo last year, not really a it person so much myself, butsaw some of your IT diagnostics kit, even for me it looked easy to use and very impressive!

Some good stuff! (Didnt go this year)

Went to IP expo last year, not really a it person so much myself, butsaw some of your IT diagnostics kit, even for me it looked easy to use and very impressive!

Some good stuff! (Didnt go this year)

Yeah, our fluke networks gear is really good, even I know how to use it and I think that's saying something, fair enough that it's pricey, but for what you get is say its fair :)

I once went to put four twin sockets in one room, the lady said "two in that corner and two in that corner". I immediately looked up at the ceiling to start planning the cable route and she asked "What're you looking at?".

"Sorry, I'm just looking for the best route for the cables".

"What cables?"

Really?

I've been asked for "a wire for the wireless" and not argued.

Not advice given but I found recently that I / users kept being told by support for a number of websites that it would only work if we installed Google Chrome. So far this has never been the case.

used to work in a food factory.

someone asked what it was i did and (at the time) i worked in the curry kicten making up the curry sauce mix (just add water deal).

this guy got really interested and after afew questions for what is the place like, how long are the hours, etc....he said something along the lines of "thats cool, so do you get like free food from there and stuff, must be nice to never be hungry"

now to anyone who has worked in the factory you would know all the stuff that goes into this stuff and what some people are willing to do to get the days quota.

so the answer to any questionlike that was always "put it this way, if i was locked in the factory for afew months, i'd choose to stave to death"

i worked in a food factory  and at Christmas the bosses would try to hand out free food.  not many takers.  lol

Yeah i have also worked in food ( sweets, cakes and ice cream ) have to say one thing... i will never eat skittles again in my life after watching the biggest, fattest hairiest man sweating into a massive hopper as he filled it with skittles to be bagged  :yucky:

also not many people know but most ice cream is made from the same stuff just different packaging ;) and the same goes with cakes ;) marks and spencer cakes are the same cakes made for Aldi and Lidl ;) i know because i have changed the wrappers from Lidl to Aldi and then to marks and spencer on the same cake wrapping machine with the same cakes ;)

• Like 2

^That's hilarious! Marks are supposed to be "fine foods"!

I swear mate ;)

Next time i pass the place i used to work ill show you the trucks coming out ;)

You can go in the factory shop and buy the cakes in plain packaging for like 30p 

Edited by hebby