• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buying a decent set of hex screwdrivers - not as easy as it seems

WilsonLaidlaw

I decided to build a C-Stoke-N TR8 Nitro Buggy while down at my house in France this year. From nearly 50 years of building full size race and rally cars I have dozens of tag ends of various sets of Allen Keys but decided to do this properly and bought a set of 6 Duratool Hex Precision Screwdrivers from 1.3mm to 4mm. I wish I had not bothered. Duratools is a total misnomer. Soft-as-Cheese-Tools would be a better name. As the TR8 is all held together with hundreds if not thousands of hex screws (csk, round head, socket head etc), these tools are used constantly. I keep having to grind down the rounded off ends of the most used, 2 and 2.5mm with an angle grinder and then tidy up the burrs with a diamond file. Luckily I have found that my Victorinox Multitool has 2 and 2.5mm bits on its

If you had asked on here then we would have been able to suggest to you what brand was best. I've use eds driver for around two years and they seem all right. Some times its not way the drivers falt as the screws can be made of cheese so they srip because of that.

Can't stand cheap anything, a waste of time and money.

I have a full set of Associated hex drivers, really nice tips, but the ally handles aren't very big, so require a firm grip which leads to blisters when I'm really busy tooling. I've had to finally replace the most common tips (2 & 2.5mm), so went with EDS tips, seem good quality.

I can hoestly say that the fastrax ones that you swap out the tips have lasted me longer than the EDS ones I have. They have rounded out while the fastrax ones are still square.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I only found this forum, with its huge source of useful knowledge, after I had bought the useless Duratools. I am sure the Beta will be good. I have a set of the bigger sizes of metric Beta T handle hex drivers that I bought around 1987. After years of taking apart and putting back together various Ralts, Lolas and Porsches, they are still as good as new and will see me out. I have bought a 1.5mm German made Wiha hex key via Amazon France for the small size, that Beta don

I use arrowmax, fastrax & halfords professional, the halfords have been great, I use them at work too, shame there not hex drivers though. I'll try eds soon, I also use Beta Phillips & flat heads, they are good.

My experience from using bigger Allen keys is that ball ended keys/drivers should be avoided wherever you can. They have a horrible tendency to chew up the screws if they are good quality and have a really well hardened ball or otherwise just get chewed up themselves. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I bought a set of halfords pro Allan keys but in 4weeks I've snapped the ball end off the 2mm and rounded off a second 2mm from the replacement set

Rob

I had the same experience with Halfords super-hardened or whatever they call them. Took 2 sets back (thought I'd offer them a second chance) because they were rubbish.

The multi allen key thing branded AA (bought from Sainsburys petrol station) has lasted me for a couple of years now with only a bit of rounding starting to happen. Cheap doesn't mean rubbish and it seems, at Halfords at least, hardened doesn't mean hardened.

Depends on the steel you start with. Begin with rubbish steel and harden it as much as you like (nitriding, case hardening etc) and you will still finish up with a piece of junk. It used to be the case that all Snap On tools were made from US electric arc refined chrome vanadium steel, which was supposedly a justification for their price. Now that many of their tools are made in the PRC, I wonder if it still applies.

My son, who is a graduate engineer, works for a large UK engineering company, currently as their liaison to Chinese component and sub-assembly makers. He is tearing his hair out over poor quality/not to spec basic materials, which are then not finished to the correct micron tolerances or anywhere near. His company are either going to have to give up on China or build their own factories there. 

Depends on the steel you start with. Begin with rubbish steel and harden it as much as you like (nitriding, case hardening etc) and you will still finish up with a piece of junk. It used to be the case that all Snap On tools were made from US electric arc refined chrome vanadium steel, which was supposedly a justification for their price. Now that many of their tools are made in the PRC, I wonder if it still applies.

My son, who is a graduate engineer, works for a large UK engineering company, currently as their liaison to Chinese component and sub-assembly makers. He is tearing his hair out over poor quality/not to spec basic materials, which are then not finished to the correct micron tolerances or anywhere near. His company are either going to have to give up on China or build their own factories there.

That's interesting, care to elaborate on the properties of various metals? Sounds life good reading!

I just purchased a 4 set of cheepo drivers from amazon. Used until they broke then replaced the crap shaft with EDS replacement ones. Only the 2mm has gone so far. And I have only spent about

Edited by barnestah

Said it before n will say it again, pb swiss rainbow keys > all ;-)

I wish I had found out about those Swiss tools before buying the Beta T handle drivers. I might still get a telescopic handle and the 1.5/2mm plus 2.5/3mm blades. A real man can never have too many tools  :yes:

On an allied subject, does anyone know of a UK source (I am coming back to the UK for a week from next Sunday) of an assorted box of cap, button and countersunk head in 3 and 4mm hex screws? Some of the screws on the C-Stoke kit were of less than stellar quality. I have marked on the build sheets where I would like to replace fasteners as the sockets are poor on the heads. There were also some screws missing from the kit (and too many of other screws) and I had to do a bit of substitution. I have found some companies who will sell me kits of separate 3mm and 4mm in socket, cap and csk but that means getting 6 different kits which works out expensive. 

I have tried modelfixings.co.uk but no reply from them after two days.

The Beta hex drivers finally arrived last night, well after I have completed the model of course. OTOH, they are beautifully made tools, which will be a pleasure to use for many years to come.

More than I can say for the eTronix throttle servo, died after just two runs and jammed on full throttle. Luckily there was some thick grass nearby, into which I could steer the car to stop it so I could pinch the fuel line to stop the motor. I have now replaced the throttle servo with higher quality Sanwa and bought a waterproof HiTec for the steering. These were the only two decent full size servos my local model shop in Montauroux had in stock. They changed hands a few days ago and the new owner has not had a chance to build up stock yet. 

Wilson

Beta%20Hex%20Drivers.jpg