• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MSUK lifestyle change thread (ok, diet thread)

Bigjimknickers

Weekly weigh in:

Start weight 17.12

Now 17.2

I'll be happy if next week I'm under 17 stone!

Been sticking to Tuesday & Thursday religiously.

Apart from 600 cali's on tuesday and thursday what else have you done bud?

You've been doing great,definately some motivation to get me going properly :good:

I'm not doing anything else really, sticking to normal on my non fast days. My missus now makes me lunch as I was spending too much during the week, but tonight I'll have some pizza & beer, if I knocked that on the head I'd lose more, but I'd also want to kill myself/someone.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm feeling festively plump so I've got my bike back out. 21 miles on Saturday then 24 mile round trip commute yesterday. New bike ordered as well to encourage me to continue to ride to work. Also cut out the sweets and treats. Just need to see if I can keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Some technical stuff. If you really want to lose weight then you should read and understand this

There are 3 energy systems in the body. Mainly you eat carbohydrates that are broken down into glycogen and used in the muscles. When not used they are stored as fats around the liver and also in the muscles. Fat can also be used as energy when the body is in a state of ketosis. Ketones are produced in the liver that allow the body to burn fat. The other energy source is protein. Protein is broken down into amino acids and used mainly for building muscles. 

Ketones are only produced when there is not enough carbohydrates (sugar) available. When you eat fat and carbs together and the amount you eat is more than required the body uses the carbs as energy and stores the fat. Insulin is produced in the pancreas and this tells the body to store the fat in the lipids (you get fat)

The store of fat can only be accessed when the body produces ketones. You can only produce ketones when glycogen is used up and the body runs out of sugar energy and there is a low level of fat intake.

The body has 3 stores of energy. Firstly there is a large amount of food in the stomach and intestines (2-8lbs), then there is the store of glycogen around the liver and in the muscles and the fat in your body. 

To diet and lose fat you need to follow the basic rules below

Get rid of the food in your stomach.

Use up the glycogen

Get the body into ketosis

Sustain ketosis on reduced food intake and lose fat

To get rid of the food 1st day go on a 36hr fast. Water only for 36 hrs after your last meal.

To get rid of the glycogen and kick the body into ketosis cut out carbs completely (atkins) for 6 days (no excersise)

After 6 days increase carbs to no more than 30 grams a day and total calories to 2000 max for 2 weeks

You cannot sustain aerobic exercise on a low car diet for long so you need to do low level stuff like walking but you need to tell your body what muscles it wants to keep as ketones will eat muscles as well as fat so do short heavy weight lifts. 3-5 lifts max weights.

The above is guaranteed to lose you FAT

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm on the new Brussel sprout Diet.

Its going well! haven't had any since Christmas day :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time to get fit and take it seriously this year. I weighed myself today and I'm currently 16st 9lbs.

Got a lot going on this year that I need to be fit for so going to start by riding to work more than driving and cutting down on the chocolate and large meals in the evening. Target weight is around 14st.

After putting my backout at the gym last year and being poorly for a few months all my exercise has stopped

im currently on a smoothie diet, so 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch and a balanced meal at night. Its hard because my apetite still thinks im at the gym haha, ive lost half a stone so far, so 7lb and now im better im running 100k next year in a race called chase to the stones, needed some incentive to start  again so what better than something that hardcore

• 3 weeks later...

This is gonna sound dumb, but any tips not to eat...

Hardest part is fighting the temptation to eat as I just like it...maby I have a problem, evan if Im not hungry, in fact the more I eat the more I want to eat.

Here is the funny thing thogh, If I am NOT hungry it dosent bother me and I wont eat as it helps me fight it...the hunger is a good thing to me and helps me!!!

(Untill i have to eat if Im feeling low blood sugar symptoms ect...but then im back to eating tons...)

No sweets or treats in my house and I dont have the cash to eat out...most my calories come from carbs or dinner...my mum cooks a healthy balanced dinner but portion size is out of controll and she wont listen and if its on the plate Ill eat it...

Currently trying to cut out bread (doable) rice (easy as not a huge fan) but pasta, potato and noodles is the hard part...

Oh and Im the fattest kid I know ahha, 19YO 5'8" 38"Waist. (For real as I hang out with cyclists / racers (skinny) and also a lot at the gym with bodybuilders as my mate owns it)

Edited by CyclingSalmon14

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So....just looked back through this thread and I last posted over a year ago!

Suffice to say over the last year I lost all traces of willpower and got even lazier it seems.

Around 2 months ago I joined a gym with a work colleague and I go every Monday, Wednesday and Friday before work - the beauty of having a gym buddy is that neither of us want to let the other down so just about nothing gets in the way of our early morning sesh'.

I also bought a set of static rollers for my bike a little while ago but could not get used to them and just kept falling off, last night however I thought I would give them another try whilst the missus went to the pictures so I set them up in the living room and sticked a film on the telly and give them ago, eventually getting used to them and doing 40 minutes on them....I was a sweaty mess at this point so I called it a night.

Suppose this is me saying I am starting again - this time I have to mean it as circa 19st for a 5ft 11 ish 28 year old is never going to end well and I need to catch it before it starts to hinder my kiddie winks lives too.

It's been a while since I last posted my weight on here and looking back I was quite surprised to see I peaked over 17st. I'm glad to say last weigh in I was just under 16st (15st 11lb). Since doing the C2C recently I've been itching to get out more. My legs are pretty strong and can keep going for a while now. I just want to lose some more weight now and get my cardio/aerobic fitness up. I've got a 10k trail run coming up next month then in October I'm doing another 40 miles off road bike ride. There an off road duathlon in October that I'd like to do as well. I've been riding my bike to work a lot recently  but now I need to get out running soon as well.

At least now I feel like I'm going in the right direction. Next month I'm going down to part time at work as well which will free up a couple of days during the week so I can get out for a run of go to the gym.

Ive had a massive set back, managed to break my arm and its been pinned :( 

fell over running outside (this exercise lark is dangerous) 

12 weeks out and i was just starting to feel fit and healthy again!!!

no rc'ing either, bit difficult with one hand :(