• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How do Tamiya do it/get away with it?

300bhp/ton

Metal not rubber shielded though? Which is of no use for off road, mucky fun and action...

Is there ANY practical use for the stock plastic/brass bearings and bushings? The refuse tips of the world must contain a huge amount of these things now, seems a shame no-one has worked out a recyclable use for them...

I had very fond memories of the lunchbox and hornet when I was younger but after buying a lunchbox a couple of years ago I realised it was nothing like my memories and was a complete let down :( I've also had a tamiya touring car, tto1 maybe ? That looked more at home in my toddlers toy box than sat with my other Rc's.

I've never bothered with anything tamiya since as it's all overpriced junk IMO

Exactly as the Welsh Wookie said. Pure amusement inducing, and one is never enough...a pair (or more) of tamiyas hooning about, chasing and racing each other is a visual treat :thumbsup:

Coming from a Large Scale fanboy that's a huge plus vote for Tamiya  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Guess so fella....or maybe I have that appreciation of the simple things in life too? Or the HUGE child which I am  :xd:  A lot easier to deal with than largescale, that's for sure, and much easier to just drop in the boot and take with you, on the off chance a quick bash may be in order....you can run 'em anywhere, part of the appeal.

As you said, appreciate them for what they are and don't compare them to the rest of a fleet... :thumbsup:

The Lunchbox I get. Not sure I'd ever want one myself, but I do like them and the similar Wild Willy family. They are a laugh because they are daft, unstable and just kinda silly. Plus nobody else makes that sort of thing, so if thats what you want it has to be a Tamiya. Ditto the tanks and the trucks - which yes I know others do to but not with the detail of the Tamiyas

But the DT02, TT01, DF03 etc I don't get. They flat out aren't as good as other brands offering similar types of vehicle for less money. Who, when given the choice, would spend

I have very fond memories of my dad bringing me home a battered old hornet, (holes drilled in the chassis??) I loved it so much that all the interest in if paid off when for Xmas one year I got a brand new terra scorcher, at the time it was my dream car & I remember it was mega mega money back then, probably 1988-89? Yep it was slow but a modified motor & it flew! It was a great time building that car slowly & meticulously with my ol dad.

If only my son would show the same enthusiasm, lol.

But I totally agree some of the kits are outragously priced, my wife bought me a hotshot & the car alone was about

You can buy cheaper, sure. But the overall experience of building and using a Tamiya RC is brilliant. Well worth the money, in my opinion. Built four kits so far, and I'd buy more in the future.

The fact they've been going for so long is testament to the fact that the price is right.

• Like 1

I was thinking of buying a TT 02 R spec for a general road, off road, something to put a spare brushless combo in. I like the fact its a kit and ive never built one, parts and hop ups are available everywhere cheap and I thought it was pretty well priced at 120 quid.

I think there should be a competition for the fastest Tamiya..... pick a 'base' model like the Grasshopper or DT02 .... and see who can make the thing go fastest. Few rules such as having to retain stock wheels, bodyshell and tub .... and probably have a back to back runs average, as per official land speed records, to rule out people strapping rockets on the thing!

Then we can all watch vids of Holiday Buggies with 1/8 scale brushless motors shredding gearboxes and losing control at speed.

That would be fun....