• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Low voltage cut off

Tear101

Evening all, i have finally got my slash converted to brushless and ran a fully charged lipo through it. after about 30mins of problem free running i mashed the throttle and the truck didnt hardly responed, i let off and then gave it half throttle and it went fine. Gave it full throttle again and hardly any response. could this be the low voltage cut off kicking in. This is my set up

Slash 2wd

Etronix photon 2.0 10turn combo

7.4v 4000mahr 2s lipo

Low voltage set at 3.4v per cell

From the ESC instructions i cant find out how the ESC tells you its reached low voltage.

Anyone got any idears?

Sorry if my explanation sucks!

I did read the instructions back to front before setting it all up but the problem is the instructions are very bad. They tell you how to set low voltage but dont give any details of how it will tell you its reached that point. Theres no lights on the ESC so i thought it might beep at me but it dosent so i guessed the lack of power was the cut off point.

it probably is the lvc kicking in, put a voltage checker on your battery and if its around 3.4 ish per cell then that'll confirm it.

Edited by stretch

i have a hobby king 150a esc i have set my esc at 3.4.. once it reaches that point my rc goes into limp mode i.e goes ever so slow.. thats when i know its time to stop and change the battery over .. if i have gone through both lipo's i stop running and stick them on charge..

well under load it would have dropped to 3.4v and triggered it, after its sat for a minute it'll creep back up to 3.6 or so, which is how you want it.

that's why I said ish lol

• 1 month later...

Yes, I always leave them in the model on an extension lead & just connect when a battery is inserted.

Would be nice if Lipo manufacturers could build some type of low cell alarm into the battery,.... :yes:

BOGGER.......have I now just ruined my chance of making a small fortune...... :banghead:  :banghead:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300570068171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've been using this one as it has an alarm, plus you can see the voltage on the screen. Attached with servo tape and a balance lead extention cable.

I have just got one of these but not sure how to rig it up! do you plug it into the balance port on the battery?

I have just got one of these but not sure how to rig it up! do you plug it into the balance port on the battery?

Yeah - plug it into the ballance port on the battery. I use an extention for the type of bat I'm using at the time (EG a 2s or 3s extention wire.)

with the readout facing you you plug it in to the pins on the left. Must be the right way round. once on, it will beep and display the battery votage for you.

you shouldnt need a volt alarm/checker if your esc uses a cut off.

its a handy tool to have however but when the LVC kicks in, its rather obvious.

I have two HW ESCs with poorly calibrated LVCs. Lipo alarms solve the issue and are (as Noj mentioned) useful for checking the calibration of a new ESC during the set-up period.

• Like 1