• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Too old for "toys"

tribbles

Ask her when she last cried cos a pop band was splitting up. If she mentions JLS she aint got a leg to stand on. I don't ever want to be "too old" for RC. Growing old is manditory, growing up is optional. 

• Like 1

i have the same kinda thing with my workmates @ work when i tell em im out bashing @ the weekend lol.

Although whehn i shown some of em a couple of vids of my FG they're quite impressed (& jealous imo!) lol :D

but in all fairness when we mention RC cars to someone who knows very little about them, chances are the terms "RC Cars" to them mean the Tyco cr@p that Toys R Us & Tesco sell! ..i can bet if they actually came to a meetup they would soon realise its not as *childish* as it sounds, for me part of the fun in this hobby it meeting up with fellow hobbyists with the same interest & avin a good chin wag etc & a laugh :)

Edited by rctruckz
  • Like 2

The funny thing is, the younger drivers our club get ridiculed at school about playing with toy cars.  They dont know what they are missing!!!

We have a few Old boys at our club, but then not many youngsters can afford to run the more expensive stuff.

Spot the under 35's!

946693_335765959859055_1230898316_n.jpg

According to my family I'm too old to be playing with toy cars and too old to be out riding my bike. Hasn't stopped me doing either and never will. I'll do what I enjoy without caring what other people think of it.

I agree! I've just sold my Hyper ST (I'll have another RC soon enough) so I can buy a power kite after getting the bug when flying my dad's for the first time the other day. I was telling a friend on Facebook about it and he said "mate it's just a kite". After explaining that It's a big 2.5 metre power kite, capable of pulling you about a field and when the lines are under tension capable of slicing straight through to bone, he still said "it's just a kite". I can bet he won't be saying that if he flew one! You really do have to appreciate how much power they have and how dangerous they can be. Also lost count of how many times I've had to justify my "toy" cars to someone. So annoying! Let us enjoy our hobbies and we won't go on at you about yours!

Lee.

My Grandfather was 91 when he rode his motorbike for the last time. Just after his 92nd birthday he suffered a stroke and whilst in hospital he joined the 3 Wheeler Club and started looking at vintage Morgans to drive when he got better. Unfortunately he died in hospital and never got to follow up on his plans but it just goes to prove that if you have the will to do it age is not a barrier. Stay young at heart, there is no shame in it.

• Like 3

Brings to mind an old saying ,your only as old as you feel,my forum name is my Xbox gamer tag

And I'll let you lads guess how old I am ,hers a clue they used to write on slate when I was at school lol

According to my family I'm too old to be playing with toy cars and too old to be out riding my bike. Hasn't stopped me doing either and never will. I'll do what I enjoy without caring what other people think of it.

they should tell bradley wiggins that  :xd:

Age means nothing, totally irrelevant. Someone else pointed out recently that all their mates pour all their wages down the urinal every Friday night. These same mates are highly critical of his hobby.

Sure, it's healthy to mix socially, but why waste your life in a boozer when you can meet up with others enjoying the same hobby?

Crack on!

• Like 2

Had my first hobby grade rc at 12 years old now 35 and I still play with toy cars! and dont care what others think. My kids are now into it and both have rc cars because of me lol, the missis is pretty cool with it now and just excepts it.

I'm 35, I have a child of my own.

Among my puerile hobbies are Lego, Retro console and arcade games and RC cars of course.

Don't give a hoot if I'm too old or not, I don't smoke or drink, and I get far more enjoyment out of any of the above than I would out of booze and fags.

Plus I still have something left to show for it, minus a broken shock or whatever of course, that isn't a puddle of puke or a weekend lost to a hangover.

• Like 1

Same, Im 29 and I still, paint, draw, dj, rc, skateboard, bmx and more besides. I take pride in being a man child. End of the day im the one exploring and having fun with the world.

If you cant do that and want to limit yourself to things make you feel grown up, then i actually pity your small minded ways.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I came back to the hobby was for my kids. My oldest is severely disabled so will never be able to come mountain biking with me but when he gets older and gains more control over his limbs he will be able to control rc cars, just hope he enjoys them.

• Like 1

Makes me laugh reading some of the sub-30 year olds talking like they are ancient :)

As far as I am concerned, I do as I choose with my spare cash, and invest it in what hobbies I find fun. People can either take it or leave it. I stopped caring what other people thought of me years ago! There are a few others who are/were RC'ers here....and the rest have got used to various bits and pieces being delivered to me at work.

Had a KM Baja delivered here, which spent the day sat on my desk....which got a fair bit of attention. Flew my Hubsan X4 around to office for days before I took that home too...

Ran a few cars in my old depot, as the place had a huge flat resin concrete floor. Perfect for 1/10 tourers if a little slippy when damp! As it had a full on extraction fan system in there to cope with 100+ vans, I could run nitro there as well.

Often my "lad" mates poke fun at the hobby from a far. And then they see the size of the 1:5th scale and are teeming with questions about it and want to see it run....

I had my 5th delivered to work and everyone in the office asked to see it. I remember one girl exclaimed "for the price of that I could of bought a handbag".  :whistling:

Had all sorts of comments about everything I've been into, Skateboarding, Wargaming, Model Making...

You know what my motto is? **** 'em! :D I know I'd rather be spending my spare time and cash on the stuff I want and not following the herds.