• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Was there not a motor spacer included in the kit for spacing the pinny before installing the can??

Drop of blue threadlock on the grub screw and leave to cure for 24 hours....could be the grub has lost its bite from spinning on the shaft so pop a new one in.

If you have a dremmel, a small notch on the motor shaft where the grub sits will aid grip too....shouldn't really be required on a Lunchy, every little helps though ;)

Looks like iv'e sorted it.

I think the original issue was caused by my attempt at some poor man's wheel inserts which I made with foam from work. I'm thinking it unbalanced the wheels which at speed probably caused enough shaking to shake the grub screw loose.

Once I removed the foam from the wheels I was trying it on a nearly flat battery which obviously made it look like it was still not right. Once I recharged the battery, it now runs fine again.

Thanks for all your suggestions and input........if in doubt charge the battery!

I think the original issue was caused by my attempt at some poor man's wheel inserts which I made with foam from work. I'm thinking it unbalanced the wheels which at speed probably caused enough shaking to shake the grub screw loose.

Eek, I'd planned to make some like that for my clod, after struggling to find any to buy. I guess I'll still go ahead as I've bought the foam, but I'll be watchful for this. Thanks for sharing

Eek, I'd planned to make some like that for my clod, after struggling to find any to buy. I guess I'll still go ahead as I've bought the foam, but I'll be watchful for this. Thanks for sharing

No problem.

I didn't fill the wheels fully and they were probably filled with different amounts as I didn't measure them so would have been unbalanced. it was my first run out on my 2s so didn't think about it.

I think i'll buy some proper ones next time

• 1 month later...

Welp, I've been generously given a broken Lunchbox as an early xmas pressie - it's payday on Friday so will be ordering all the needed bits then :)

After a year of driving my friend's one it'll be very cool to have my own ... I'm a bit excited!  I'll report back with photos in a couple of weeks once it's all together ...

The last couple of times I've taken my Lunchbox out the steering is always failing. After a couple of occasions tightening the servo saver the screw is just constantly turning and not tightening up.

Any recommendations for a new servo saver? Is the tamiya one any good?

Cheers Brian 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I appear to have overpowered my Lunchbox - the combination of a 2s lipo and a 15 turn motor gives nice things like being able to pull a wheelie while already rolling at a good speed, but it's a bit more than the package feels comfortable with.

I'm going to swap in a fresh 25 turn sport tuned motor from my parts bin instead, to try and ease it up a bit.

Which begs the question, where do you think the sweet spot is?

I found that with a lipo -even with a higher turn motor- the increased "kick" of power and the lack of weight in the battery compartment makes the car just a bit too much of a handful. With the ni-mh, you had a lot more weight very low-down, which is now all but gone. I plan on putting some lead wheel weights low down on/in the chassis, to try and bring-back some of that lower COG. Might be with pursuing, yourself?

• Like 1

On 18/11/2015, 19:53:44, Praet0r87 said:

I found that with a lipo -even with a higher turn motor- the increased "kick" of power and the lack of weight in the battery compartment makes the car just a bit too much of a handful. With the ni-mh, you had a lot more weight very low-down, which is now all but gone. I plan on putting some lead wheel weights low down on/in the chassis, to try and bring-back some of that lower COG. Might be with pursuing, yourself?

That sounds like a smart move, hadn't thought about the weight!

• 1 month later...

New member of the LB club here :) I got a standard yellow with ESC for my birthday, bit of retro fun for this big kid. I remember this was on my Santa list for years in the late 80s early 90s!

I see the LB as a fun and quick access alternative to my Savage X4.6 - so a bit of garden bashing.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the build - have already ordered up an HPI SF-10 servo (same as Savvy throttle/brake) and in the interest of spares/compatibility I hope to run the TF40/RF40 radio kit. Anyone else got this set up?  Do I need a BEC somewhere?

Nothing is installed yet it's all in the box! But bearing kit is on order! 5th shock etc can wait til I experience the stock comedy! Need to pick up some glue and paint.

The reason for my BEC question was an assumption that my kit contained a TEU101BK but it's actually a TBLE02S which has a 6V 1.5A receiver output, so good to go... 

I've entered the club and bought a lunchbox, the version with the ESC and Motor. 

Been reading up on what I should be doing with it, so also will order

The aluminium body mounts, rubber sealed bearing kit and a pair of Tamiya 50520 CVA Short Shock Unit Set II kits (I wanted to keep it as Tamiya as possible!). Will do the chassis support mod with some spare turnbuckles but will look into that 5th shock.

Couple of questions -

I want to replace the ESC and Motor with a waterproof, ideally brushless system which includes a BEC. Don't want to go bonkers but what is a good set up to use?

Is there a stainless steel hex screw kit available? 

Finished my LB chassis and electrics, all working nicely. Now for the stressful part... painting the body!

Are there any cheap lexan shells out there that will fit for bashing duties? Would be a shame to destroy the fantastically detailed styrene original.

Not come across a specific screw kit for the LB....all be standard M3 lengths.

15t brushed is as crazy as mine gets, really doesn't need a BL set up IMO.... If you want cheap, drop in a Trackstar set up and pray it's a good one :lol:

I am going to paint my body this week.. stressful!!

At first I thought I'd just wap a bit of paint on and get outside and bash it... but I find myself getting a bit fussy over the wee thing - the Tamiya body detailing is a thing of beauty.