• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Body mounts are weak as standard

Hubs are weak as standard

Love or hate the standard Suspension dampers

Chassis tub is flexi due to the weight it's carrying

The standard plastic wheel bushes are questionable

The gearbox or diff springs are weak as standard

The standard front suspension camber is crazy under compression

This is why we all love upgrading it... From standard, don't get me wrong, after all the upgrades most of us have done, it makes a very solid little truck. Personally I love tinkering and improving...

Body mounts - agreed - alloy ones are cheap enough

Hubs - never been a problem for me

Standard suspension dampers - add to the fun of a bouncy uncontrollable monster truck but better dampers are a definite improvement

Plastic wheel bushes - full bearing upgrade is required out the box - again cheap enough

Gearbox springs - Them pathetic leaf springs are dire and the 5th shock mod certainly improves things

Standard front suspension - I call that a feature :)

SO I agree with most points on there but I really don't think you need to spend a lot on these to make them tough and perform well. Let's face it, if you want a monster truck that handles well you don't buy a lunchbox. You want a good laugh, you buy a lunchbox. I also like tinkering and improving things but as a parent of 2 kids that take up a lot of my time the tinkering gets done on other RCs and my lunchbox remains not too far from what came out the box and never fails to put a smile on my face.

Cva shocks are not bad.. Like I said earlier... But they're plastic, and have the plastic mounting eyelets, which can be suspect as monsterlb is questioning... They also have the diaphragm which makes it a lot more plush particulary over rougher surfaces at speed.

Sorry to go on about it but the CVA shocks also have a diaphragm in them. As do all oil shocks I have had. They are also very plush and plastic doesn't always mean rubbish. They come with oil that takes away the guess work of choosing the best oil.

I find them to be very good and will always recommend them first as I think they're all you need for the lunchbox. However, if you want to spend nearly

Body mounts - agreed - alloy ones are cheap enoughHubs - never been a problem for meStandard suspension dampers - add to the fun of a bouncy uncontrollable monster truck but better dampers are a definite improvementPlastic wheel bushes - full bearing upgrade is required out the box - again cheap enoughGearbox springs - Them pathetic leaf springs are dire and the 5th shock mod certainly improves thingsStandard front suspension - I call that a feature :)SO I agree with most points on there but I really don't think you need to spend a lot on these to make them tough and perform well. Let's face it, if you want a monster truck that handles well you don't buy a lunchbox. You want a good laugh, you buy a lunchbox. I also like tinkering and improving things but as a parent of 2 kids that take up a lot of my time the tinkering gets done on other RCs and my lunchbox remains not too far from what came out the box and never fails to put a smile on my face.

You don't need to spend anything at all on them... They're as fun as they were in the 80s... If you feel the need to do so then parts are readily available and pretty cheap. Kits can be had for

Sorry to go on about it but the CVA shocks also have a diaphragm in them. As do all oil shocks I have had. They are also very plush and plastic doesn't always mean rubbish. They come with oil that takes away the guess work of choosing the best oil.I find them to be very good and will always recommend them first as I think they're all you need for the lunchbox. However, if you want to spend nearly

Ah, that's good then - they do look good! That's what oi was hoping to do with my snapped ones but couldn't find a way of a) taking it off or B) a replacement part.

These hubs, the only place (quick Google search) I can see is Minature Manufacturing - It does not mention that they are a pair for

After a bit of googling, I note the part I snapped was the front suspension arm - found on the A parts tree - now on order, rather than steering link which is metal and indeed probably more difficult to break.

I would agree, the LB is a good, fun piece of kit that can pretty much cost as much as you want it to! I am happy with spending a bit more on certain parts if they are suspect and may otherwise result in spending more in the longer run. This said, I will always begin by looking for the cheaper parts.

The fun factor is proven to a point as I bought one for my Son for Christmas, I ordered one and now my daughter (very girly girl - hates cars etc) also wants one! This cheap model, is going to cost me a fair bit!

Right then,

• Left suspension arm now replaced - courtesy of a parts tree off Ebay somewhere
  • Front left shock now replaced - Very nice people at Fusion Hobbies  replaced FOC even though I told them I had rammed  it at full speed into a wheelie bin! - Good customer service - Love the sweets they send too - good touch! I note they also have cheaper prices than most too.
  • Received soldering iron - Mainly for next purchase but will get some practice in
  • Ordered LiPo (Just one to get started) and accessories - This is mainly for my next purchase - Schumacher of some description - Was going to be KR, now leaning towards SV2 as its an all rounder! 
  • Ordered ESC/Motor combo - for next purchase
  • Received Monster decals to sort out the mess I have made of my Son's (Jay) LB body - Keep flipping it. Would use my own but still not arrived

All is good!

Right then,

• Left suspension arm now replaced - courtesy of a parts tree off Ebay somewhere
  • Front left shock now replaced - Very nice people at Fusion Hobbies  replaced FOC even though I told them I had rammed  it at full speed into a wheelie bin! - Good customer service - Love the sweets they send too - good touch! I note they also have cheaper prices than most too.
  • Received soldering iron - Mainly for next purchase but will get some practice in
  • Ordered LiPo (Just one to get started) and accessories - This is mainly for my next purchase - Schumacher of some description - Was going to be KR, now leaning towards SV2 as its an all rounder! 
  • Ordered ESC/Motor combo - for next purchase
  • Received Monster decals to sort out the mess I have made of my Son's (Jay) LB body - Keep flipping it. Would use my own but still not arrived

All is good!

Sounds all good mate!, where in hell did you order your LB from i got mine in 2 days from wonderland

I ordered from Jadlam Racing over two weeks ago. They say they despatched it the weekend after (were late despatching so refunded del charge). According to Dpd website, it has been delivered and signed for. Not sure where it has been delivered to though as it wasn't here! They have made a claim against Dpd but I haven't heard from them in a week. If I cannot contact them or they do not respond tomorrow I will be pursuing my claim through PayPal. Irritating as I ordered it to play with in the two weeks I have been off work. Unfortunately I have had to play with my Jay's LB instead!

Finally some good news from Jadlam Racing. Dpd have allowed a claim which means my order should finally be despatched today/tomorrow.

All those hop ups I'd already done on Jays car will now need to be swapped to mine. Probably just as well to let him have the new one.

Additionally, I managed to break 2 out of 2 window pieces over the weekend :) They are now on order. I also found some allow wheel hubs on eBay which I have also ordered for the current LB as I think one of the current ones is mis-aligned, causing the wheel to look buckled when running.

Received a LiPo starter kit yesterday as well as the esc/motor combo I'd been looking at. Think I've already said though that I wasn't going to bother putting them in either if the LB's as it's fast enough. I Wil leave them for the Schumacher next week.

Finally, I really need to get round to the fifth shock mod... Already, we have gone through two of the leaf springs that have snapped.

As lunchbox sitting here doing nowt felt to put some leccys back in her for giggle my spare 10.5 sensored system, added alloy wheels to wheelie bar an added brace rod sametime.

DSC04808_zps264e2710.jpg

DSC04809_zps22193e2b.jpg

quickly fitted some leds an one of fronts is blown so some desoldering an replace

DSC04805_zpsdf89aa41.jpg

DSC04806_zps95cd58f0.jpg

Edited by R46

can i join the club??

bought a chassis today and already modding it, fitted some kyosho sandmaster shocks which i have converted to oil filled, road wheels and tyres, just need a front lower shocker mount (the little metal "u" shaped thing to complete suspension.

ill post up some pics when i have painted, the paint at the moment is a little bright and should i say girly......

as i've only ran brushless & lipo in mine 8.5t an now 10.5 boosted on large pinion, speed an wheelies anytime, what i've did too calm down front was add 30g of lead weights

So, another run, another breakage! ????

This time, the servo saver. P2 from the parts tree. Is it possible to get an alloy/metal replacement rather than have to replace again. I have seen a few but wouldn't know if they fit... None of them mention LB/MP.

r46 thats the best thing eva what an idea be building soon just sorting my motor out  :-)

lost me fella?

these are weights talking about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-strips-of-lead-free-pre-cut-self-adhesive-weights-UK-Freepost-/400654449403?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5d48ddbafb

lol do that alot

was saying with the wheels on the wheelie bar its great looks good does it work well another mod to the brain list lol

:-)

Edited by jason3249

Hi, I hope this is the right thread to post random LB questions in...let me know if not.

Can anyone advise the optimal set up for the CVA Short Shock II 50520 for the LB ?

I've so far installed the front with the stiff spring and medium damper (2 hole) setting.....seems reasonably stiff and the rebound is fast, is this ok?  Ive not been able to take is out yet as I, still painting the shell.....

What about the rear any suggestions ?

Also, I see the kit comes with 2 sets of eyes for mounting the shockls (axle end) long or short...I've used the short ones on the front but as the rear ones look longer is it as simple as using the longer eyes?

Thanks

Hi, I hope this is the right thread to post random LB questions in...let me know if not.

Can anyone advise the optimal set up for the CVA Short Shock II 50520 for the LB ?

I've so far installed the front with the stiff spring and medium damper (2 hole) setting.....seems reasonably stiff and the rebound is fast, is this ok?  Ive not been able to take is out yet as I, still painting the shell.....

What about the rear any suggestions ?

Also, I see the kit comes with 2 sets of eyes for mounting the shockls (axle end) long or short...I've used the short ones on the front but as the rear ones look longer is it as simple as using the longer eyes?

Thanks

Check this out for set up:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img19691_07052009143413_1.jpg

Also, I threw my instructions out, but Tamiya 84365 shock instructions are a good place to look, they had lunchbox set up details....

You can find pics and some info here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72398

Edited by JED