• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

39 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I had far less work to do to be fair

Ironically I found the old radio gear in a pile of stuff my ex wife dropped of which had been hidden in the cellar.

No matter, the cobra now has common radio gear with my big rock and the other changes have been inexpensive and fun. 

It's all a learning curve, and it's a good community to learn in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

So, continuing the nostalgia. I finished work early, sun was out so the Mrs and I took a walk to the local park. So I took the Merc TL-01….

9WSOSM7.jpeg

With a twist. This is a bone stock TL-01 with MSC. Aged 12 when the TL-01 came out, this pretty much what we had if we were lucky enough to have parents who could afford an RC car for their child. If you told 12 year old me that Id be able to put a GPS on my toy car and find out how fast it went my mind would have blown.  Thankfully 23 years later……

w33qkJW.jpeg

We can! I love the blend of old school electronics with a GPS Speed Analyzer.,,,

Car is bone stock, stock gearing, silver can. Radio is Acoms 27mhz. The NIMH is an 1800mah Traxxas, borrowed from my EZ Start wand for my 2004 Revo 2.5R, so no idea on condition etc, but it peak charged in around and hour and showed decent voltage…..

PLACE YOUR BETS……..

oqZdidF.png

I had a good smile running it mind, the handling is shocking. Ive no idea if 13mph is “normal” Im guessing other people have done the same so may find some speeds. However, I have a benchmark, Ill do the same with my Subaru TL-01. This will have 2.4ghz radio, a Tamiya BZ Motor, 1060 ESC and a 2S Lipo. Combined with speed tuned gearing and bearings. 

I guess we forget things have changed a lot.

Maybe the near 30 year old Cobra isn't slow, maybe today's youth is just faster.

🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Assembled the tracks for the TRX4M, the body part printed with zero issues however the tracks aren't great. No matter what I did I couldn't get them to print nicely so I've only been able to make 2! I've ordered a different TPU however if anyone has had any success printing with TPU please help. 

I also fitted new lights to the body as well as a metal servo mount. 

20230315_152407.jpg

looking good alex, you getting it ready for abit of snow or gravel?

37 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

if anyone has had any success printing with TPU please help

I've done a bit of TPU printing before and apart from it being really really stringy it all went surprisingly well.

What sort of set up are you using for the prints, is it a bowden or direct drive extruder?

34 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

looking good alex, you getting it ready for abit of snow or gravel?

Sand, plus they look pretty cool. 

20 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I've done a bit of TPU printing before and apart from it being really really stringy it all went surprisingly well.

What sort of set up are you using for the prints, is it a bowden or direct drive extruder?

Bowden however I've got Capricorn PTFE tube, printing a small block with a gap I got rid of all stringing and the part looked good. When I went to print the tracks it looked rubbish and left a lot of gaps. The main issue is that the section between the teeth is only one wall thick, this also lead to a few issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex97 said:

Sand, plus they look pretty cool. 

Bowden however I've got Capricorn PTFE tube, printing a small block with a gap I got rid of all stringing and the part looked good. When I went to print the tracks it looked rubbish and left a lot of gaps. The main issue is that the section between the teeth is only one wall thick, this also lead to a few issues. 

i agree, they do look good.

but taking it on sand, hhmmm....... will need a full strip down afterwards though.

I'd put a direct drive extruder on my ender 3 before trying to print TPE so wonder if that might be the thing that made the difference for me. I think the models I was working with had a fair bit of them with single thickness walls (the outer layer on the no-foam foams below) and these were mostly ok.  Unfortunately the inserts didn't end up giving me the results I wanted as the material I had was still a bit too firm for this application so I gave up after trying a few different designs.

9E82DAA9-C4D7-4B8C-A699-DFBB2C74E725.thumb.jpeg.134c52c797f430b7ff966350dc2617a3.jpeg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i agree, they do look good.

but taking it on sand, hhmmm....... will need a full strip down afterwards though.

That's what the airline is for. I live nowhere near the coast so it will only see sand on the odd UK holiday. The model was a free download so I've only had to pay for the bearings which were was £17 from China. 

7 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I'd put a direct drive extruder on my ender 3 before trying to print TPE so wonder if that might be the thing that made the difference for me. I think the models I was working with had a fair bit of them with single thickness walls (the outer layer on the no-foam foams below) and these were mostly ok.  Unfortunately the inserts didn't end up giving me the results I wanted as the material I had was still a bit too firm for this application so I gave up after trying a few different designs.

9E82DAA9-C4D7-4B8C-A699-DFBB2C74E725.thumb.jpeg.134c52c797f430b7ff966350dc2617a3.jpeg

Direct drive is 100% the way forward however I've only got a single gentry so unless I get a pancake stepper motor. I've ordered another TPU so hopefully that will help. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

That's what the airline is for. I live nowhere near the coast so it will only see sand on the odd UK holiday. The model was a free download so I've only had to pay for the bearings which were was £17 from China. 

Direct drive is 100% the way forward however I've only got a single gentry so unless I get a pancake stepper motor. I've ordered another TPU so hopefully that will help. 

Ah yes, the hose line, that will make cleaning up alot easier.

But from what I have read, it gets inside the diffs too.

19 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

I saw Tomleys video on these earlier. I appreciate it looks like a Porsche, especially in that Gulf colourway, but its not something Im interested in. Looks very good value however on the pre sale price.

• Like 1