• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Went M-class racing today! And won! :D

I took along my M-05 that I built a while ago to replace my M-03 that used to be my primary M-class racer back in the day, and my recently acquired M-03 that I purchased when Tamico's special offer made me realise how much I missed driving my old one.

The M-05 is of relatively high spec, with the full ballraced alloy steering assembly, minimal play in all components due to careful shimming, high speed servo, 13.5t brushless/LiPo power, TRF shocks, etc. The M-03 is pretty basic by comparison, basically stock apart from oil shocks, bearings and a steel pinion.

I was of course expecting to be far quicker with the M-05, but it turned out that all the extra spec and power translates to about 0.02 seconds per lap, if that. Tyre choice was also surprisingly a non-issue. Grippy foams, slippery rubber kit tyres, S-grips on the rear and M-grips up front - while each demanded a different driving style, in the end the lap times hardly differed.

The only factor that did make a difference, unsurprisingly, was not crashing. My mate with a similarly specced M-03 was matching me corner for corner, lap for lap. The only way I managed to finish ahead of him was through keeping it shiny side up and waiting for him to crash.

It was also fun seeing my young nephew getting to grips with his new car - a SWB M-03 running a 35t motor. Although not as fast as the other cars in our class, it is nonetheless a significant step up from the 80t Rising Fighter buggy that he has been campaigning for the last few race meets. He started off crashing several times a lap, but by the end was lapping quite cleanly, having realised the advantages of using less than full throttle through the twisty bits.

My brother in law also joined us for the first time today. A long-time RC driver, he has been bashing for over a decade, but this was his first time on a track. It didn't take him long to get used to it though, and by heat 2 he was giving my mate and I a run for it. He ended up finishing 3rd overall - an excellent result for a first outing. I suspect he'll be beating us all before long...

• Like 2

Charged up a battery for the TRX-4 but haven't ventured out yet!

Ripped apart my onboard camera for my new Tiny Whoop so I could have OSD while flying!393d4839f443fb4419452d619a00822a.jpg9a80d29fa11129633559a07bd336e62e.jpg

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

was last night but here it goes...

got my axles built on my scx10ii kit, lost my mini hex drivers so ended up using a 1.5 and 2.0mm allen keys, took way longer than it should have, new tools on order so should fly through the rest of it

20171210_202508.jpg

Looks like you had fun!

I took the mini 8ight out for a blast with its new wheels and it was really hard to drive kept just spinning out, then I realised the front wheels arent spinning. It has eaten its front diff apparently and is RWD now... and popped the steering rod off so will strip it down and get the new parts I just got in the post on, might need to do another order for diff stuff though r:rolleyes:

Thank you very much yoodoo, I was chuffed with it :) Music was a bit limited by what free tracks I could find without drowning in a sea of cheesy vocal dance music, but I think the current track works with the slo-mo, and the urban environment....

• Like 1

That's sweet. Looks like a shelf queen to me. My favourites are the ones that look authentic and impressive and also could go for the occasional bash. I find that the proper bashers often don't look quite as good as the real prizes and shelf queens we see here.

I have to get more into the aesthetics of my models though, they are mainly functional. There are a lot of them, though !?!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zoea said:

I have to get more into the aesthetics of my models though, they are mainly functional. There are a lot of them, though !?!

Having a fairly large fleet helps with the aesthetics. The more models you have, the less wear and tear each one experiences, so the more sense it makes to put effort into making them look good as well as function well.

finally finished building the scx10ii, just need to give these two some paints and add the lights etcs

the TT-02 has a Nissan GTR R34 body which will be gun metal grey with black bonnet, bought some Nismo look wheels in aluminium which will be painted black

still undecided what colour to go for on the SCX10ii jeep shell, maybe black as the can will still be pretty much full from spraying the GTR bonnet, this will only be a temp shell as most likely i will throw a ford raptor style shell on when xmas bonus comes through

20171217_200344-1008x756.jpg

On 16/12/2017 at 10:56, Zoea said:

That's sweet. Looks like a shelf queen to me. My favourites are the ones that look authentic and impressive and also could go for the occasional bash. I find that the proper bashers often don't look quite as good as the real prizes and shelf queens we see here.

Thanks.

Most (or half) of my models are shelf queens that don't have electronics other than light controllers, I spend a lot of time and effort to get to where I want them sourcing parts, bits and bobs from other countries. To take one of my favourable models out and bash it up would hurt lol. I enjoy the building part of an RC, all are kits and not necssary out of the box, buying an old chassis and replacing parts then adding a seperatley purchased shell. All this could be actioned over a period of months.

The other half of my collection will run/have been run with full electronics, some have been run numerous times including my most expensive builds, Top Force and Bigwig. I wouldn't describe my running as bashing, more of a general run for no more than what these toys were designed for (Tamiya toys), certainley not double backflips off a skate ramp :/  for that I'd buy a Traxxas or Hpi.