• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

5 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Is there a mod that you know of for the battery tray to take lipos? I’ve seen the nimh shaped lipos, but I’d rather not buy them if it can be avoided.

Some people file them away, I'd stay clear of this as you'll create a weak point in the chassis. With the M05 you can get the V2 chassis. I'm only planning on running the M03 and M05 so I'm not overly worried. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Is there a mod that you know of for the battery tray to take lipos? I’ve seen the nimh shaped lipos, but I’d rather not buy them if it can be avoided.

Short of cutting a huge amount of material out of the chassis to make the extra room I don’t know what you could do - I think the nimh shaped lipo are the best solution. 

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Some people file them away, I'd stay clear of this as you'll create a weak point in the chassis. With the M05 you can get the V2 chassis. I'm only planning on running the M03 and M05 so I'm not overly worried. 

I haven’t got one, yet. am toying with the idea. Good to know there are different chassis available for the m05

20 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Short of cutting a huge amount of material out of the chassis to make the extra room I don’t know what you could do - I think the nimh shaped lipo are the best solution. 

That was my immediate thought, but assumed others would be wanting to use lipos and that there is a more subtle approach.

4 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

That was my immediate thought, but assumed others would be wanting to use lipos and that there is a more subtle approach.

What about this ?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/gens-ace-lipo-2s-pack-7.4v-4000-50c-deans-plug-444355

we use em in our Lunchbox/Pumpkin and fit right in 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

What about this ?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/gens-ace-lipo-2s-pack-7.4v-4000-50c-deans-plug-444355

we use em in our Lunchbox/Pumpkin and fit right in 

I have considered these, but was hoping to be able to adapt the model rather than get different batteries. I’ll probably end up going with this though as it’s the easiest. Besides, I think that I may have a Tamiya bug brewing so could/would be put to good use in other models.

• Haha 1

we already had these batts so were able to use them but if we hadnt and wanted use normal lipos we would have to file away the webbing in the batt holder to get them to fit 

• Like 1

Dug out Outback Mini, WPL C14 and the 1/10 crawler "thing", piled up some scrap wood and spend an hour or two making ad hoc courses for them to attempt.  It's been too long since I had any RC's out.

Also had a look at the tuber chassis crawler that really needs finishing and started working out somewhere for a 3s to go in the front.  Off to Wales late Aug so may give myself a deadline to get it running.

• Like 1

changed the bearings in the front and rear  just need to wait until everything turns up then hope to rebuild it in one go.  going to leave the stock servo for now  but have a better one if i need it.  As for the paint job  that is not going well  the paint is really fine  going to try a few more coats later when weather cools down.

IMG_20210721_135754.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

Hyper 10 gets a new body after being naked for 15 years!

IMG_20210721_152006.thumb.jpg.3f4b297989c9483ebf6875117717b5c0.jpg
Shame she wont be very quick being so old and belt driven, least it will look fast tho 😄

Looks very nice  what shell is it.  looks like the  f1

Its a protoform Vittoria Gt body, its very very low at the front, basically cant run shock towers or body posts or it sits to high and the wheels dont fill up the wells, it also rubs on the spur gear.

IMG_20210721_154126.thumb.jpg.1d8af907a683055eddc5f3b23cae6f72.jpg

Can fit 4s easily into the chassis 😱 Just need to decide if i want to break the seal on my replacment Mamba x extreme esc or sell it on 🤔way to much power for this car.
Any one know were you can get hyper 10 belts from, seem impossible to find 😞

• Like 3

Drove it!  Will be doing another early trip out tomorrow morning as well since it is a great time of year for it.  More fun driving on loose dry dirt and cleaning is quick with a brush and air duster.

Thought I needed to get as much in as I could before we are back to constant rain.  Oh or another lockdown which allows fishing/shooting but not RC......

First bash in a year, maybe more, made a rookie error and killed a 6S lipo. Still, mustn't grumble, it'd seen a total of.......................... three cycles. 

FOR CRYING IT LOUD! IDIOT!

DAMN IT, DAMN IT, DAMN IT!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Converted DBXL ran like a dream, saw some nice long low jumps. Temps were spot on. 

KM X2 was running great, until I borked a lipo, all my fault. That said, the ZTW Beast LVC is awful. 

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Converted DBXL ran like a dream, saw some nice long low jumps. Temps were spot on. 

KM X2 was running great, until I borked a lipo, all my fault. That said, the ZTW Beast LVC is awful. 

What’s so bad about the motor/esc? And how did you ‘bork’ the lipo? 🤣

14 minutes ago, Tug said:

First bash in a year, maybe more, made a rookie error and killed a 6S lipo. Still, mustn't grumble, it'd seen a total of.......................... three cycles. 

FOR CRYING IT LOUD! IDIOT!

DAMN IT, DAMN IT, DAMN IT!

What ya do ?

Don't quote me, this is an assumption based on experience with the ZTW; if you connect 12 cells, all should be good. However, if you connect 12 cells that're part charged, the ESC reads that as 10 cells and sets the cut-off Voltage accordingly, game over, they'll drop far too low. 

I've no scientific proof of this, it just appears to be the problem. Having run dozens of ESCs over the years, I'm fairly competent in their use, but this thing is poorly engineered and will burn you without question. 

I don't have a way of testing this other than wasting packs, which I'm not prepared to do. 

In future, I'll only run fully charged packs, absolutely no more "quick test run in the street with packs at storage Voltage".

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Tug said:

Don't quote me, this is an assumption based on experience with the ZTW; if you connect 12 cells, all should be good. However, if you connect 12 cells that're part charged, the ESC reads that as 10 cells and sets the cut-off Voltage accordingly, game over, they'll drop far too low. 

I've no scientific proof of this, it just appears to be the problem. Having run dozens of ESCs over the years, I'm fairly competent in their use, but this thing is poorly engineered and will burn you without question. 

I don't have a way of testing this other than wasting packs, which I'm not prepared to do. 

In future, I'll only run fully charged packs, absolutely no more "quick test run in the street with packs at storage Voltage".

Owch a costly mistake and not really any fault of your own, good to know about the esc LVC for future, thank you for sharing. Sorry it cost you a battery tho.

Edited by Redback