• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to silence a nitro engine....

portisheaddan

aha i had this with my thundertiger on my road, if you have an expansion style exhaust then get a small piece of rubber tube about 2 inches long that fits tight inside the exhaust tip ( you are aiming to reduce the size of the exit path and in doing so quitening it, once you find one that fits, change the diameter of the hole untill you get an exeptable balance between performance and noise (drill it).

the small exit will effect the tuning of the chamber (usually gives more torque but stifles the top end, once you get the balance then retune as the added presure in the tank will change the fuel mixture to0 rich

I went out on sunday with my lightning just after i had finished running in i thought oh ill take it on a little grassed area on my street where ive run many times before and never been bothered! a tank and half later and a little wide lady comes up to me, "Im the neighbourhood watch co-ordinator round here" i said yeah i no you are to which she said we have had many complaints about you with your car on here in the past 6 months, to which i replied no you havent coz ive only just got this, i havent had a rc for over 8 months or so now. obviously i made it clear that i havent had one for that time then she slipped up and said that there had been complaints that morning! i had only been out 20-25 mins with it and in that time i saw where she was sat and she never moved once, neither did she speak on her phone or speak to anyone else other than the 2 other residents of my street that she was with!

Anyway i moved on and went on another field behind my house. This is a football pitch with plenty of space at each side of the pitch to run a rc, i was on there for a hour or so then who walks accross? yup you've guessed it the moaning "neighbourhood watch co-ordinator" she walks over and says the same again basically but this time i had one up on her :D i know that my car cant be heard in my street not even at the closest point to the field nearest the houses. she lives at far end of my street so defo wouldn't have been able to hear it, so when she said she had heard me for over a hour on the field running i rung my neighbour who lives on nearest bit of my street to field and passed this woman the phone my neighbour told this woman that it cant be heard there so basically she was lying. later on i found out that she had watched me leave my street and go onto the other field then left it a bit and was going to report me for making too much noise!!! lol

just shows some people are always out to spoil other peoples fun so no mater how quiet you are or how far youve gone to not disturb others theres always a chance of someone been there to spoil your fun so just be careful even if you do make ur nitro quieter.

I went out on sunday with my lightning just after i had finished running in i thought oh ill take it on a little grassed area on my street where ive run many times before and never been bothered! a tank and half later and a little wide lady comes up to me, "Im the neighbourhood watch co-ordinator round here" i said yeah i no you are to which she said we have had many complaints about you with your car on here in the past 6 months, to which i replied no you havent coz ive only just got this, i havent had a rc for over 8 months or so now. obviously i made it clear that i havent had one for that time then she slipped up and said that there had been complaints that morning! i had only been out 20-25 mins with it and in that time i saw where she was sat and she never moved once, neither did she speak on her phone or speak to anyone else other than the 2 other residents of my street that she was with!

Anyway i moved on and went on another field behind my house. This is a football pitch with plenty of space at each side of the pitch to run a rc, i was on there for a hour or so then who walks accross? yup you've guessed it the moaning "neighbourhood watch co-ordinator" she walks over and says the same again basically but this time i had one up on her :D i know that my car cant be heard in my street not even at the closest point to the field nearest the houses. she lives at far end of my street so defo wouldn't have been able to hear it, so when she said she had heard me for over a hour on the field running i rung my neighbour who lives on nearest bit of my street to field and passed this woman the phone my neighbour told this woman that it cant be heard there so basically she was lying. later on i found out that she had watched me leave my street and go onto the other field then left it a bit and was going to report me for making too much noise!!! lol

just shows some people are always out to spoil other peoples fun so no mater how quiet you are or how far youve gone to not disturb others theres always a chance of someone been there to spoil your fun so just be careful even if you do make ur nitro quieter.

i have had these types before and usually i tell them to noughty word off as i work all week earning money to feed this "system" we live in so i will do exactly what i want at the weekend if im not breaking the law its fine, so they can go whistle or get some one with "real" authority to tell me otherwise, and the policeman they always threaten to call never comes lol, he's more likely to do them for wasting police time lol

i wouldnt drive my nitro in a built up area more so you need to respect your Neighbours, i love my nitro but i can understand why other people would get sizzled about it . why dont you try and find somewhere thats not around houses to drive your nitro and stop being lazy .

:rofl:

• Like 1

i wouldnt drive my nitro in a built up area more so you need to respect your Neighbours, i love my nitro but i can understand why other people would get sizzled about it . why dont you try and find somewhere thats not around houses to drive your nitro and stop being lazy .

:rofl:

Got to agree really. They are pretty anti social things with the noise they make.

I still find plenty of places to run my one. Park and ride car park (closed on weekends), business parks (empty on weekends) playing fields not near any houses etc. There are also places where I wouldn't think of running my nitros because they back on to houses.

did you not read the message where i said it cant be heard on the field? thats why i went there i have plenty of places to run near my house the field i spoke about been one of them where ive never had any trouble before just this woman wanted someone to moan at that day and it just so happened to be me!

Why shouldnt we be able to run where we want anyway? as said in another post we work to have fun and so do other people. This neighbourhood watch woman was sat on the grass in my street earlier today drinking and having fun with her mates when my daughter was playing there she is only 2 and doesn't need to hear the language that was been used by them. she certainly doesn't hear it from me so why them? did i go over and moan at them? NO because they were having fun and enjoying themselves not causing anybodyy any real harm same as i wasnt when i was running my nitro its called GIVE and TAKE and if you cant take it you shouldnt freaking give it

did you not read the message where i said it cant be heard on the field? thats why i went there i have plenty of places to run near my house the field i spoke about been one of them where ive never had any trouble before just this woman wanted someone to moan at that day and it just so happened to be me!

Why shouldnt we be able to run where we want anyway? as said in another post we work to have fun and so do other people. This neighbourhood watch woman was sat on the grass in my street earlier today drinking and having fun with her mates when my daughter was playing there she is only 2 and doesn't need to hear the language that was been used by them. she certainly doesn't hear it from me so why them? did i go over and moan at them? NO because they were having fun and enjoying themselves not causing anybodyy any real harm same as i wasnt when i was running my nitro its called GIVE and TAKE and if you cant take it you shouldnt freaking give it

You should mention this to her next time she starts whining her mouth off again, if none of the other neighbors moan then what grounds does she have to complain. Sounds like a busy body to me !!!

got it in one pal! coz its got a engine and makes a bit of noise they dont like it! she thinks its illegal for me to be using it in a public place which to my knowledge it isn't?

im gunna go out tommorow and use it on the field again and if she moans again im just gunna keep on using it she cant stop me and until someone else other than her complains about me then i shall keep using it until i feel obliged to stop lol

The situation in the field does sound completely uncalled for.

It is ok to say that you work to have fun, that is fair enough but if someone (hypothetical situation) decides that their idea of fun is to blat a nitro car up and down the street and another persons idea of fun is to sit and have a quiet sunday afternoon with the paper something or someone has to give. The way I see it the guy reading his paper isn't effecting anyone yet the person with the nitro car could be annoying several people.

I had some issues with a neighbour who thought it was fair enough to play his music as loud as he wanted for as long as he wanted anytime between 8am and 11:30pm. He worked all week... that is fair enough right? Not as far as I was concerned so I told him so.

Anyway, it does sound like this person has an issue with you so I can see that they are being unacceptability obtuse. I was merely pointing out that nitro cars do have the potential to annoy a lot of people and people should, in my opinion, take the attitude that they try and avoid causing a nuisance rather than doing what they like and take a "stuff them" attitude.

So after using you rc in the streets and up setting your neighbours you move over to a felid close by to the same street where you continue to upset your neighbours !!! it does not matter where you drive your nitro if its by houses then theres going to be people that just dont want to hear the noise it makes no matter if they complain to you or not . Seems to me your way of thinking is wrong your the one making all the noise on a housing area then to me it doesnt matter if people complain to you or not your in the wrong! eg theres always going to be sick and elderly people that cant get out of the house to tell you what a pain in the back side you are , this is why its probably got personal between you and another memeber of the public .

Edited by dazzzer

i dont agree im afraid, everybody is guilty of anoying someone at some stage its a case of give an take, a nitro running on a field near houses is no more anoying than some old guy pushing a petrol lawnmower allday on a sunday, or my neighbour who comes home in his van at 2:00 in the morning and uloads 30 crates slamming each one into the floor and waking me up, or the old woman next door to me who is about 70 and cant hear the engine revs on her fiesta so comes past my house ridding the clutch at 6000rpm! do i moan at them? no because i have better things to do i would rather be getting on with my life than moaning about someone elses so my response to wingers is they should find something to do rather than whaste it moaning, life is short enjoy it and stop worrying about other peoples.

mat

• 2 years later...

Im kinda worried about bugging people with a nitro engine, but ive also rememered a number of my neighbours use petrol mowers and strimmers (chainsaws etc), one guy fixes old cars and is always revving engines, other neighbours have chicken chasers (mopeds and small 50cc bikes) etc so im kinda thinking as long as i dont do it 24/7 or at unsociable hours (during which time im in bed)

Everyone makes noise, just dont run the car in the carpark next the the block of residential flats :D

As for quieting a nitro engine, im interested, i like the idea of a temproary 'addon' and the pipe filled with fiberglass or wire wool would seem to be the route to go.

Anyway, if my neighbours think my nitro is upsetting, wait till i start tuning my compound bow in the street :P

I have exactly the same problem. I dont drive n have thundertiger trucks. In the end i couldnt resist i take it out in the streetfor half hour and to hell with the neighbours i dont moan if they have a party. I have one that moaned because she said it disturbs her birds!!!!!!! I told her to set them free n shouldnt have them locked up in cages lol she didnt like that n closed her windows.. sorted.

Myself and a mate where running in an engine a week or so back in the street, wasn't particularly loud (well i didn't think so) and then a neighbour from further up (obviously had a few beers) came out ranting and raving and swearing that she can't her herself think, so we stopped and went in... (we must have been out 10 minutes max)

Next day I'm working at home and I seriously couldn't work, she had three guys and an industrial size wood chipper for about 4 hours cleaning her front and side of the house. It was noisy as hell; did i complain? No I carried on as best I could....

In hindsight I should have said something, but my point is in relation to other things that go on in the street, nitro isn't exactly one of the worst.

EDIT: I should add this isn't countryside or some urban sprawl, its right in the middle of a normal housing estate.

Edited by Exos

i put about 2.5 inches of slingshot elastic on the end of my nitros exhaust and it does make a fair bit of difference.

it doesn't effect the performance either. which is good. 

Edited by NITRO NUT

Police wont do anything when we used to run on the park before we were banned because a member had a runaway into you guessed it a chap in a wheelchair. Anyway the used to show up and come and talk to use showing intrest not even a bollocking