• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Model-Technics - whats going on?

The Truth

Is Model-Technics fuel really as bad as people on here say it is? I'm fairly new to nitro cars, and what I dont understand is it seems to be the most popular fuel? Its certainly been recommended to me by a few r/c dealers when I just go in and ask for fuel they have always given me Model- Technics.

Shorly it cant be that bad because MD have obviously done their homework when it comes to r/c fuel? Maybe its good for breaking in an engine because it contains so much oil?

Last week when I was at my local BMX track thingy with my Vega .28 powered Savage (very hard to start at the moment) the truck hesitated around the track at about 15- 20 mph and then stalled in front of about 20 people. The walk of shame to go and get the thing was not embarrasing at all, honest!. I bundeld the Savage into my car and made a quick get away, I couldn't stay there after that and to make things worse my FIESTA WOULDN'T START EITHER. In the end I called the AA!!.

Not a very good start as it was the first public outing with my Savage!!.

What are the base settings for this engine? and do you recommend Byrons 25%.

My local r/c shop only sells Model-Technics.

The reason why Manufactors recommend MT fuel is to help cover there sorry asses

The Extra oil helps Beginner idiots with them, who run them lean cause they cant tune.

Byron is plenty oily, but powerful, the exhaust dont fill up etc etc

From 11% in byron its like 18% in MT

And manufactors say u need atleast 18% lube in there engines, no they dont....

Its just so u cant bugger the engine up as quick....

MT dont let u tune as its soo oily it runs too well on base settings....

But im gonna stop moaning and go to bed as i got another long day ahead of me...

Ziggy

The cynic in me suspects that model shops can buy MT fuel cheaper, giving them a better margin. Its also not inconceivable that they get an even better price if the promise to exclusively stock MT.

Imagine how much it costs to import Byron fuel from the states. You cant pass all the cost on to the customer as it would simply get too expensive.

I'm gonna get me some Byrons 25%, just been looking on Modelsport website and they don't seem to have it listed, is this because its American and you ave to import it?. The next best is er..... O'donnels yes?, but it dosn't come in small bottles as I have a small problem with cash flow at the moment - My Savage EATS MONEY!!!

I'm gonna get me some Byrons 25%, just been looking on Modelsport website and they don't seem to have it listed, is this because its American and you ave to import it?. The next best is er..... O'donnels yes?, but it dosn't come in small bottles as I have a small problem with cash flow at the moment - My Savage EATS MONEY!!!

I dont think there is a best fuel. Models in motion will stock Byrons, if your anywhere near Hertfordshire I could give you some for free as I dont have any nitros anymore.

I dont think there is a best fuel. Models in motion will stock Byrons, if your anywhere near Hertfordshire I could give you some for free as I dont have any nitros anymore.

Na, sorry I'm miles away but cheers anyways.

I don’t use MT, don’t get on with the blend.

Whilst I believe its all about mark up, MT is not actually that bad, its all about tuning to the fuel your using.

I use Byrons 25%, but hasn't Model Technics just released a new blend with the "Sickel" oil?

I have been told that with this new oil you can lean it right out and it won't ruin the engine?

I've just been down my local track and they're ALL running the new mix of MT and from what i saw it doesn't hamper performance!! There was a chap down there with a losi 8 running an RBS7 it was running rings round everythin else on the track!!

Mmm.......interesting, so is this availabe from Modelsport otley?......I might give it a go. (rather than Byrons?)