• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

I found the aluminium long life shoes were crap as there were layers of aluminium left on the clutchbell, and they slipped a lot more than the standard graphite type ones.

Personally, I've got alloy shoes in all my off road cars (except for the ST1, don't know what's in that, never had to check ^_^) and I think they are brilliant in terms of bite and longevity.. :good:

Of course, in comparison to the stock HPI ones some spit and gaffa-tape would be better!

The aluminium shoes aren't fantastic as aluminium has weaker inter-molecular bonds than most other metals :blush:

This basicly means that it is easy for bits of it to scrape off. Hence why the clutches in my gearboxes will be steel :whistling:

Not sure I agree with you here mate.. not about the molecular bonds, about that I have no idea :whistling:.. but part of the reason they use alloy for the clutch is that it is softer, in part because the softer metal binds on the harder better than steel on steel (which once worn smooth would have even less bite), but also because (as I understand it) as the alloy wears it doesn't create fine metal shavings/dust like steel will.. The softer alloy is displaced, rather than ground down.. better for bearings :good:

and then the weight of steel shoes, think of the spinning mass compared to alloy and how strong those clutch springs would have to be to hold the shoes in even at idle.. :confused:

Happy to be proven wrong of course ^_^

If long life alloy shoes are as crap as you say, explain to me why all racers run them and why I was told to replace mine with hong nor reds?

They're crap in a gearbox because they are soft, because in a centrifugal gearbox they can go from 10,000rpm to zero in an instant when you shift gears, hence why aluminium would disintegrate. :confused:

In a clutch on an engine I suppose they can be good for the reasons that harjun said though, although there are still some drawbacks like heat :whistling:

And I never said that my chemistry teacher was good lol, we teach ourselves practically and so there are some holes in my chemical understanding ofc :blush:

If there were major draw backs then millions of racers around the world wouldnt be using them. I'd like to see how the stock trophy clutch holds up to the power from a nova toro Nero or an os speed v spec

I never said major drawbacks. just advantages and disadvantages really as with any material :good:

Hay guys, will any 1/8 clutch bell fit? Im gona get a 17 tooth bell and drill the chassis to make it fit! However with any 17 bell mesh with the spur? And fit the engine shaft?

Cheers snake

Hay guys, will any 1/8 clutch bell fit? Im gona get a 17 tooth bell and drill the chassis to make it fit! However with any 17 bell mesh with the spur? And fit the engine shaft?

Cheers snake

pretty sure, just make sure its a buggy/truggy one

If there were major draw backs then millions of racers around the world wouldnt be using them. I'd like to see how the stock trophy clutch holds up to the power from a nova toro Nero or an os speed v spec

Stock shoes lasted 1.5 tanks with my sts 30 :rofl:

gonna look nice Arthy :)

well just back from having a wee bash with the Truck and omg what fun it was

theres a bit of a hollow in the ground and if you hit it just right you can pop some wheelies with it , well ive changed my wheels and tyres to axial 5 spoke savage rims with stock savvy 3.5 tyres and omg its freaking great popped a wheely that was a good 50 yards if not longer not just once but did it a few times and the tyres are hardly worn , stock tyres would have wore out way i was driving it tonight was fun till i ran myself over lol it hit my foot and knocked me off my feet , i went one way , tx another way and car went another lol rofl.gif

anyway heres a pic of it with new wheels beside the st

2011_05_27_IMG_0657.jpg

gonna look nice Arthy :)

well just back from having a wee bash with the Truck and omg what fun it was

theres a bit of a hollow in the ground and if you hit it just right you can pop some wheelies with it , well ive changed my wheels and tyres to axial 5 spoke savage rims with stock savvy 3.5 tyres and omg its freaking great popped a wheely that was a good 50 yards if not longer not just once but did it a few times and the tyres are hardly worn , stock tyres would have wore out way i was driving it tonight was fun till i ran myself over lol it hit my foot and knocked me off my feet , i went one way , tx another way and car went another lol rofl.gif

anyway heres a pic of it with new wheels beside the st

2011_05_27_IMG_0657.jpg

thanks, loving the gtr in the background ;)

evening chaps. was testing my newly converted e-trophy tonight and the wheel fell off whoops!! lost a nut :(

is there better options apart from the stock purple ones (which are like

evening chaps. was testing my newly converted e-trophy tonight and the wheel fell off whoops!! lost a nut :(

is there better options apart from the stock purple ones (which are like

err no they arnt as hyper nuts wont fit they are a diferant thread

oh really? i though there where the same :facepalm:

Looking good guys.

Especially arthys shell. That is nice :good:

My stock trophy tires lasted ages, in face still have loads of tread. Even on a brushless with 6S lol

But the 6S wrecked the wheel :(

yeh but place we run ours has a portion of tarmac and its been killing treaded tyres :(

oh really? i though there where the same :facepalm:

i tried putting the hyper capped nuts on the trophy and unless i forced it it wouldnt screw on pity as the purple closed caps wouldve looked good on the trophy