• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Custom 9s HayMonster XXL Savage FLUX Build

Josh1A1H

is this it?

Do you think they look a bit more bullet proof than the standard ones?

bevel gear set

hpi-87193.jpg

if i do just the rear would i also have to do the front?

That is the standard 4 bevel spider set, you and I have them already, they come in all the later X's(4.1, 4.6 etc), XL's and flux, nothing upgraded there ;)

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=87193

compared to stock

hpi-86032.jpg

stock bevel

That is the old 2 bevel gear set, found in the old Savage 21's, 25's and pre-X SS's.

Edited by londoner

Right now I'm confused. :confused:

According to the diagram on page 27 here the flux uses the 4 spider set up, but according to this it uses the old 2 bevel diff, why would they put the old weak 2 bevel diff in the Flux but 4 bevel spider diff in the nitro Sav's?? :confused:

is this it?

Do you think they look a bit more bullet proof than the standard ones?

bevel gear set

hpi-87193.jpg

if i do just the rear would i also have to do the front?

i used those in my twin force (the only truck of its kind on this forum !) work peachy...the standared kyosho ones are made

of play doh i think ! and they only put one lot of each in the diffs..cheapskates !

Never had a single prob with either diff since.

I guess ..reading your thread here that the ONLY saving grace of me being annihilated by you on the 30th is that

my truck is unlikey to commit suicide like yours HA ! (famous last words of course)

I remember now why ive stuck at 4S !

Keep posting dude...its going to get lots of attention ! (already warned the other josh off here that he will no longer be king of the castle) good.gif

i used those in my twin force (the only truck of its kind on this forum !) work peachy...the standared kyosho ones are made

of play doh i think ! and they only put one lot of each in the diffs..cheapskates !

Never had a single prob with either diff since.

I guess ..reading your thread here that the ONLY saving grace of me being annihilated by you on the 30th is that

my truck is unlikey to commit suicide like yours HA ! (famous last words of course)

I remember now why ive stuck at 4S !

Keep posting dude...its going to get lots of attention ! (already warned the other josh off here that he will no longer be king of the castle) good.gif

Makes me wish I kept my Neu 1521 and put it in the 8ight :whistling:

lol... haha well... the truck is back up and running! Lucky i had some decent bevel gears lying around! BarnetBasher... ill see you on the 30th, going to thread lock everything all over again to make sure nothing goes wrong!!!! just hope some hpi dirtclaws come in stock somewhere! Otherwise ill be running 2 wheel drive instead of 4!

I think the reason the bevel gears stripped was because there was no diff oil in the diff haha... where did it all go confused.gif Well its full once again and ready to roll!

Instead of the dirtclaws i may get some bad lands for these rims instead... need more grip!

@ Londoner.... Dont worry about it... we all know that hpi get there info mixed up once in a while! Before i knew it was the bevel gears, i called hpi and said i am ****** as my diffs have blown, they immidiately offered to replace them after receiving some pictures of the diffs... The one and only question they asked was if i was doing wheelies lol

Edited by Josh1A1H

I think the reason you keep blowing tires is because when you turn, your diffs are just letting one wheel slow right down, and the other with less grip gets all the power and spins at twice the top speed, like when you hold one tire, and watch the other one spin insanely fast.

Put some thicker diff oil in and see if it helps with the major tire ballooning when cornering.

I think the reason you keep blowing tires is because when you turn, your diffs are just letting one wheel slow right down, and the other with less grip gets all the power and spins at twice the top speed, like when you hold one tire, and watch the other one spin insanely fast.

Put some thicker diff oil in and see if it helps with the major tire ballooning when cornering.

I had that problem with my mini Revo. Turned out the centre diff was empty and so it was unloading. Try some thicker oil as revo suggests!

@ blue shade - i got my lipos from here - hyperion eu

Thanks for that link hide i will see if i can find any decent lipos instead of ordering from abroad.

As it turns out the reason it was spinning so fast was because there was no oil... should be completely ready by the next meet!

Thanks a lot!!!

The run time is around 30-45mins depending on what i am doing... With continous throttle i would say 25mins... In all honesty something seems to go a little wrong before running the lipos all the way through like blowing a tire... or the servo saver comes loose or something minor goes wrong...

Ive slowed down on the spending for now... watch over the next few months...

New ESC will arrive and New Lipos and custom battery boxes.... Cant wait to put this truck on 9s!!! Should be entertaining!

Cheers for the link josh, I can vouch for robotbirds bud. Always had super fast delivery from them. I once ordered on a friday lunch time around 12ish, they had processed and sent out my order by mid afternoon and i recieved them on the saturday morning. Superb, if only all shops were as fast as that.

the savage is a completely new machine! It was very uncontrollable before all the upgrades...

Yes it was fun wheeling everywhere but it got old very quickly... i like the idea that i can swap a pair of tires and get a completely different style of driving from the truck...

Ive got some alu BB which i have carried out the fuel shock mod on to lower it for road use and my plastic BB which i use for jumping and off roading... But with the Anti sway bars its all good...

Considering ive blown 2 of my Dirt Claws tires im looking for a tyre that has plenty of grip... People rate the badlands from proline... Worth it???

Ill get some phaltlines eventually for the road, and as not to waste my two remaining gd dirtclaws, i will buy one set and put fit them to some dish rims for some gravel fun... I use the stock wheels and tires for jumping...

@shade - i will see how their lipos fair in price... i was looking at some turnigys from hobby king, or these battmann lipos from Yeshobby.com.... there prices seem really gd and they are just meant to be rebranded turnigys... but the turnigys have now come out with 40c lipos so ill have to wait and see...

My Speed results with my current gearing 6s vs 9s

RUNNING 6s

Differential Ratio: 3.2222222222222223 - USING BP Diffs

Transmission Ratio: 1.5366847826086956 - Using 39t High speed idler or just locked in second gear

Other Ratio: 1

Spur Tooth Count: 47 - Spur

Pinion Tooth Count: 18 - Pinion

Total Voltage: 22.2 - 6s at 3.7v

Motor KV: 1600 - NEU 1520 motor

Tire Diameter (inches): 5.5 - roughly

Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.5 - roughly but looks like way more

Spur/Pinion Ratio: 2.61 : 1

Total Ratio: 12.92902 : 1

Tire Circumference (inches): 20.42 inches (518.68 mm)

Rollout: 1.58:1

Total Motor Speed: 35520 RPM - well within the capabilites of 60,000rpm

Vehicle Speed: 53.13 mph (85.34 km/h) - I can do speed runs all day on grass and temps dont go above 55degrees C

Same gearing, just on 9s

Differential Ratio: 3.2222222222222223

Transmission Ratio: 1.5366847826086956

Other Ratio: 1

Spur Tooth Count: 47

Pinion Tooth Count: 18

Total Voltage: 33.3 - 9s @ 3.7V

Motor KV: 1600

Tire Diameter (inches): 5.5 - Tire Diameter of Phaltlines is larger so top speed may be a little more.

Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.5

Spur/Pinion Ratio: 2.61 : 1

Total Ratio: 12.92902 : 1

Tire Circumference (inches): 20.42 inches (518.68 mm)

Rollout: 1.58:1

Total Motor Speed: 53280 RPM - Still within the 60,000rpm capabilities... Very tempted to run 10s as it will push the motor to 59,200rpm

Vehicle Speed: 79.69 mph (128.01 km/h) - That should be plenty in a truck biggrin.gif - i should really gear down but ill see how it goes eventually...

Edited by Josh1A1H

Cheers for the link josh, I can vouch for robotbirds bud. Always had super fast delivery from them. I once ordered on a friday lunch time around 12ish, they had processed and sent out my order by mid afternoon and i recieved them on the saturday morning. Superb, if only all shops were as fast as that.

Robotbirds are just a great shop overall. Going to their warehouse is like entering another world :lol: They have so much more stock and variety than they show on the website.

just ordered the badlands woopwoop! Should look and perform well on my SPI rims

Hide i didnt realise they were around the corner! When i get some cash together ill go and get my charger from them etc....

You go there often?

Whenever I need lipos or a balance board I go there. Best to give them a call before hand and tell them what you need so they can get it out for you.

Although the Hyperions aren't cheap so I only use them in my Shark to race with. For bashing I just use cells from Hobbyking. But they are pretty cheap from here since there is no postage and they are wholesale prices.

hide - i havent ordered from hobby king... what was your experience with them?

When the lipos came were they ok?

are they still charging and balancing right?

Did you incurr any customs charges?

How long did they take to arrive?

do they come from the states or HongKong?

The only other lipos i have found that are cheap are battmann lipos from hongkong which are renamed turnigys....