• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did the postie bring you today?

53HRA

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

another good haul there mate :good:

Cheers I was right on the limit for my £135 however all this over here would have been £300+ in the UK. 

Edit - wheelspin added up to £360. 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Cheers I was right on the limit for my £135 however all this over here would have been £300+ in the UK. 

I know for a fact that you can carry a tube of American Silver Eagles, Canadian Maples, even silver Britannias which have 20% VAT if bought in the UK, into the UK as either hand luggage or checked in luggage - 33 troy ounces of silver, through customs, declare them to customs, and you are just barely under the tax fee import limit, and will not be charged a penny in tax.  Not even the VAT that all forms of silver attracts in the UK - all brand new silver bought in the UK attracts VAT not second hand silver, not all silver is CGT except either just the silver legal tender coins minted by the Royal Mint like Britannias.

Edited by Grogg

I know this is going to sound stupid but this plaza Japan you all keep getting bit from was looking on there and found the tamiya Toyota hilux highlift for just over £200 cheaper shipped than in uk now I’m not complaining but how is it possible? 

4 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

I know this is going to sound stupid but this plaza Japan you all keep getting bit from was looking on there and found the tamiya Toyota hilux highlift for just over £200 cheaper shipped than in uk now I’m not complaining but how is it possible? 

A lot fewer middle men marking up prices to make quite a few extra quid in between you - the purchaser, and Plaza Japan - the seller, when buying from the UK.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grogg said:

A lot fewer middle men marking up prices to make quite a few extra quid in between you - the purchaser, and Plaza Japan - the seller, when buying from the UK.

Ah I see because I’m so tempted to get the hilux highlift from them I know they’re not that good off road but I’ve always wanted one since I saw one when I was little 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Ah I see because I’m so tempted to get the hilux highlift from them I know they’re not that good off road but I’ve always wanted one since I saw one when I was little 

That's the impact of an importer plus import taxes and VAT I'm afraid.  Kyosho is another example.  I bought a Mini-Z from AsiaTees at a substantial discount over the UK price.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Another massive factor that seems unique to PJ. We all know the GBP has gone to crap, but so has the Japanese Yen, if not worse. Most Japanese retailers sell to us in USD, so the savings haven't been great lately. PJ deal in Yen, so we get the currency exchange almost on our side. RC Mart for example isnt cheap, as they deal in USD.

Its like in 2008, I was buying everything Traxxas from Tower Hobbies. Not only was Traxxas cheaper in the US, the dollar was almost half the GBP due to the housing market crisis. Then Tower had discount codes.

Some of the PJ prices are laughable mind. Look at Tamiya Brushed motors:

£48 in UK
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/tamiya-super-stock-motor-rz/

£15.49 @ PJ
https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344999811/

Not saying you need a brushed Tamiya motor, but theyre beautiful so I bought all 3 haha

Hop Ups are silly money too:

£62 vs £23

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-tt-02-aluminium-steering-set-1331366

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344549658/

Tyres  £10 vs £3.77

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-rally-block-tyres-soft-2--438827

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344548613/

Not knocking any UK shops, it is what it is, and obviously there is postage and potential tax on any PJ Order, so that needs to be considered

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

Just a few small bits.  Bit baffling that this popular ESC still comes with a mini tamiya plug as standard!? 

Oh and what is that weird, but not necessarily bad smell that Hobbywing ESCs smell of? 🤣  I assume it might be the water proof coating on the pcb  but I always notice it.  

PXL_20230525_145653544.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Just a few small bits.  Bit baffling that this popular ESC still comes with a mini tamiya plug as standard!? 

Oh and what is that weird, but not necessarily bad smell that Hobbywing ESCs smell of🤣  I assume it might be the water proof coating on the pcb  but I always notice it.  

PXL_20230525_145653544.jpg

Musicians and specialty electricians - more electrical engineer than sparky, call it ''goop'' it's basically an epoxy compound that they literally cover all the internal electrical components with - resistors, pots, caps...., for 2 reasons, firstly it's an extremely fast and cheap way of water proofing electronics/circuit boards, and secondly to make it a lot harder for their competitors or Joe public to reverse engineer their design - they tend to use non transparent colours for ''goop'' black being the most popular, copy it, and sell an identical version, without having to spend resources on R&D.  It also makes repairs a lot more costly, time consuming and a real PITA.

Edited by Grogg

13 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Unexpectedly landed on one of these within the UK so saved a fortune on customs!

IMG-9432.jpg

Just for show or are you going to have it hopping to rap music 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RC4WD fan said:

Just for show or are you going to have it hopping to rap music 🤣

Can you get those types of suspension systems for RC cars?   I'd love to build one that would bounce along and to my guitar or piano playing.

1 minute ago, Grogg said:

Can you get those types of suspension systems for RC cars?   I'd love to build one that would bounce along and to my guitar or piano playing.

That one does I’m sure of it 

3 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

That one does I’m sure of it 

You have to manually control the hopping on it, it doesn't automatically react to and in sync like those dancing Christmas trees and other stuff that react to sound/music.  Plus it's kind of hard to play a guitar or piano and control a RC at the same time.

35 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Unexpectedly landed on one of these within the UK so saved a fortune on customs!

IMG-9432.jpg

This is seriously cool, if the hopping reacted automatically to sound/music, instead of having to be controlled by the transmitter, I'd order one this very minute.

It does make me think of this:

As well as Cheech and Chong, Cheech drove one in ''Up In Smoke'', Chong drove the Beetle with the Rolls Royce angel stolen from his Dad's car mounted to the bonnet of his held together with duct tape Beetle.

Edited by Grogg

2 minutes ago, Grogg said:

You have to manually control the hopping on it, it doesn't automatically react to and in sync like those dancing Christmas trees and other stuff that react to sound/music.  Plus it's kind of hard to play a guitar or piano and control a RC at the same time.

Oh yeah that would be a bit difficult 🤣 if you know how suppose you could somehow wire one of the sound controller things to it 🤔

2 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Oh yeah that would be a bit difficult 🤣 if you know how suppose you could somehow wire one of the sound controller things to it 🤔

I'm actually looking into that right now, I may actually have something in my self storage that would do it, and I'm very sure I have a guitar with the electronics in it that will do it, but that would mean breaking down and removing the sound controller from a very very expensive custom built guitar - instead of fret markers it has LEDs that react and change colour in time with and according to my playing.