• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Investment models

Lone-wolf

I want to start getting some models as a way to buy/sell so i can maybe make this hobby pay a bit, not looking at getting rich just trying to cover the hobby a little, so what models should i look out for, i feel i missed the boat on the Tamiya 45th model, maybe i will snap up some 50th when they get released

Limited runs are your best bet however I'd personally invest in other things such as the S&P500 ect. Stocks and shares ISAs are your best bet as you don't pay any tax. If you want to cover the costs of the hobbie then look into stocks that pay a good dividend as the regular payments will help. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Limited runs are your best bet however I'd personally invest in other things such as the S&P500 ect. Stocks and shares ISAs are your best bet as you don't pay any tax. If you want to cover the costs of the hobbie then look into stocks that pay a good dividend as the regular payments will help. 

You may be right, the way my luck is i would buy a black edition porsche for £800 and end up a year later letting it go for £750 just to clear it out

This is a long shot but I'd recommend to get friendly with your local charity shop and hope they get a vintage Tamiya or Kyosho donated to them.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BlackSeaRC said:

This is a long shot but I'd recommend to get friendly with your local charity shop and hope they get a vintage Tamiya or Kyosho donated to them.

My good lady wife is manageress of the local one ha ha 

• Haha 2

Im not sure there is an ‘investment’ chance in RC. The old original Tamiya’s are mega money, so. Not something you can buy into, and the 40th & 45th Anniversary models arent worth much more than they cost. A 45th was £275 and two years later, theyre going for £350-400 with a fair amount for sale. The 50th maybe but Im expecting it to be hard to get.

Youve then got the risk that Tamiya Re Releases it. I know people say a ReRe doesnt affect value, but if youve got a mint 959, with parts difficult to get, and the 50th Anniversary is a 959 ReRe has your investment dropped?

Youre better off just scouring classifieds and chancing it. Ive has my best bargains via Facebook marketplace. Yet it’s probably also the place where the most nonsense is.

If something is ‘made’ to be an investment item, chances are it wont be. It has to be organic. Look at the RC10CC for example.. Rather than investment, I look at what holds money and is easy to sell on. Its why I dont buy Banggood/WLToys stuff. Its probably brilliant, but IMO its dead money.

• Like 2

Unfortunately if you make the hobby about investments, it becomes less of a hobby. My Dad is a comic collector. He has some since a kid. In his mind, theyre comic books he loves, and he reads. Fortunately, and we are very lucky that most of them have sky rocketed to the point he sold some, paid his mortgage off and retired my Mum early, and we fly to New York for Comic Cons every year.

But unfortunately, its turned his hobby into a bit of a job. He hates the value. He would rather they were all 10p each so he could own them. Some of his comics are too valuable to read, and he cant afford to buy some of the ones he would like as theyre worth too much. Its also turned the market a bit weird, because people now think ALL comics are rare, so people just over price what they have even though its worth nothing. Imagine people seeing an original Tamiya Avante is worth over a grand, so that means they think their used battered TT02 is worth £1000+ because its a Tamiya. Its a double edged sword when a hobby becomes valueable and worthy of investing in, chances are, your enjoyment will drop

• Like 2

problem for me is my rc hobby is a 2 fold thing there is the ground vehicles and then the flying of the fixed wing planes but i think its fair to say the clock is ticking with planes, more laws coming in like remote ID and more of the "cant fly there" i have pretty much made up my mind 2024 is my last year flying....it just surprises me how much money goes into these hobbies each month.

It soon mounts up a cheeky order to Injora for a few bits, electrical connectors  of ebay, some lipo`s from Hobbyking, some gear parts for a rally car, the list goes on

3 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

problem for me is my rc hobby is a 2 fold thing there is the ground vehicles and then the flying of the fixed wing planes but i think its fair to say the clock is ticking with planes, more laws coming in like remote ID and more of the "cant fly there" i have pretty much made up my mind 2024 is my last year flying....it just surprises me how much money goes into these hobbies each month.

It soon mounts up a cheeky order to Injora for a few bits, electrical connectors  of ebay, some lipo`s from Hobbyking, some gear parts for a rally car, the list goes on

That's why I got into selling bits I've 3d printed. It doesn't make much however covers my hobby costs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Limited batch Scotch Whisky is definitely worth investing in, but it takes a long time.

Funny you say that, you can buy barrels of whisky as an investment. Depending on your funds you can also buy a % of barrel that stays at the distillery however you own it. 

I've never dabbled in it however the returns aren't too bad. 

• Like 1

Decided to play safe and go with Premium bonds, have opened an account and made an initial purchase will keep adding once up and running so that i get large blocks of numbers at a time probably 250 at a time, much better than buying a Traxxas or tamiya model then selling it at a loss ha ha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

Decided to play safe and go with Premium bonds, have opened an account and made an initial purchase will keep adding once up and running so that i get large blocks of numbers at a time probably 250 at a time, much better than buying a Traxxas or tamiya model then selling it at a loss ha ha

I am intending on doing the same later this year, there is always the chance of winning the million pound prize!

• Like 1

Some thoughts…. Firstly nothing to be made in RC investments, pandemics over and hobby will wane again. Just measure the frequency of posts on forums compared to three years ago. But actual amateur blue collar worker investment advice? Well you could try this…

Premium bonds were great when the banks were holding interest rates low, but you’d actually get a better return now from a savings account. Plus side easily accessible and that ‘app’ excitement once a month!

Royal mint direct sovereigns in bog standard cheapest form (NOT the shiny limited editions!) have performed very well, but there is a 5%+ hit off gold spot price when you sell.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/10-year-gold-price-chart-ounce-gbp/

Shares that produce dividends are the sweet spot - the dividend appearing is very nice little bonus too. But you can get burnt - you’d have thought having a chunk of Pharmaceutical giant GSK would have been great through a pandemic - but the opposite was true 🤐

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividendyield.py?market=ftse100

I have a good investment portfolio, self managed, diversified in all the above. I only buy things understand or can liquidate easily (see above) I have shares in companies/retailers - for example buy Sainsbury’s and you can spot if things are going bad, buy into some south American mining firm and you’ve no clue its going to the wall 🤣 

@Lone-wolf get the share app that comes with every phone and create a fantasy portfolio for say 5 different share's, not a number of shares but £1000 batches., then watch them for 3 months noting your fantasy buy in price and your cash out price. It will give you a clear idea if you have a lucky instinct 😉

My actual advice though…… extra hours at work. If I want to buy something - which lets be honestly don’t need because its a remote controlled toy 😉 - I do some overtime for a guilt free purchase. My other advice is don’t bother saving if you have debts elsewhere like credit cards etc, clear those first.

• Like 2

@Shergar, some very good advice there, i dont have any debt other than mortgage and thats not large. My bank account pays 3% cashback on utility bills and 2% interest on balance i get the max on that.

Shares....we all know they can go down as well as up, so i would always steer clear.

You are spot on with the work overtime, and it just so happens that Hanson Plywood who i work for have lowered the daily point at which we go to overtime, so in effect we are getting more overtime each month and it does make a huge difference to the monthly pay check, this will pay for my next model on its own, happy days.

I have started building a pot of premium bonds, i am investing a pot of money that is set aside for my next 1;1 car purchase, at present this money is not earning so i will drop this in the bonds in blocks of numbers and see how it does over the 2 year period till i am ready to trade my car, i may just get lucky and scoop a couple of nice pay outs, im under no false illusion of getting the big one as we are in same odds as lottery 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

@Shergar, some very good advice there, i dont have any debt other than mortgage and thats not large. My bank account pays 3% cashback on utility bills and 2% interest on balance i get the max on that.

Shares....we all know they can go down as well as up, so i would always steer clear.

You are spot on with the work overtime, and it just so happens that Hanson Plywood who i work for have lowered the daily point at which we go to overtime, so in effect we are getting more overtime each month and it does make a huge difference to the monthly pay check, this will pay for my next model on its own, happy days.

I have started building a pot of premium bonds, i am investing a pot of money that is set aside for my next 1;1 car purchase, at present this money is not earning so i will drop this in the bonds in blocks of numbers and see how it does over the 2 year period till i am ready to trade my car, i may just get lucky and scoop a couple of nice pay outs, im under no false illusion of getting the big one as we are in same odds as lottery 

Just an FYI, I've £1500 with of premium bonds for over 10 years and earn less than 10% over that time. 

Martin Lewis did a piece comparing premium bonds to a low rate account and over a long period of time the savings account produced better return. 

No risk no reward ect however I'd strongly suggest looking into an index fund like the S&P500 or all world as for these to drop massively would mean we'd all be in a world a 💩

• Like 1

apologies for hijacking but i wanted to know the best way to get good returns too so few months ago i opened up a chase savings account which i got the recoomendation from @Alex97 the percenatages for the that is 4.1 a month. i dont get much money but if i can put around 150 a month in then would that be a god return? or would i need to put more in?

Edited by froggy8

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

apologies for hijacking but i wanted to know the best way to get good returns too so few months ago i opened up a chase savings account which i got the recoomendation from @Alex97 the percenatages for the that is 4.1 a month. i dont get much money but if i can put around 150 a month in then would that be a god return? or would i need to put more in?

Premium bonds?  

If so for £150 a month personally I wouldn't bother as based on my returns over 10+ years it's less than 1% a year which is rubbish. Which is why I think their not worth it and would advoid at all cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Premium bonds?  

If so for £150 a month personally I wouldn't bother as based on my returns over 10+ years it's less than 1% a year which is rubbish. Which is why I think their not worth it and would advoid at all cost.

Agreed for £150 per month premium bonds not best, im looking at dropping  maybe 5k into them and might put another 5k or so into something else

• Like 1