• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to buy? Rock crawler not scale

amellor03

Hey! Long time member but I’ve been out of the hobby for the last +5 years. I was big into scalers back then but the scx10 2 had only just been released!

I’m thinking about getting back into it and buying a rock crawler specific rig either moa or shafty 

when I was last into it you either bought a xr10 (rare then!) enroute berg (rare!) or rc4wd bully 2 ( big bucks) or bought a cheap ax10 roller or axles to build a shafty/sporty class.

What’s the best options now? Anything budget that’s good to modify? I was big into modifying and custom modifying before.

again no scalers of any kind. Pure comp crawlers 

Hi, depending on budget, you could build up an injora rock buggy, ( which is the route i have just taken ), or anything by axial, element , gmade. They all make good crawlers, in rtr or kit form, with plenty of scope for custom modifying 👍

I’ve been looking at the injora rock buggy and the unbranded one on eBay that’s £100!

from what I’ve seen it’s an axial base with scx10 ii copy axles and gearbox? Looks like it could fit the bill for making a super capable budget rig. 

• Like 1

£75 without wheels 😂 I can see a custom wide axle high steering setup coming on 

it’s crazy all the parts that are now available and for peanuts! Scx10 ii universal joints for £10-20! I was importing xr10 universals for my builds at +£45

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2023 at 13:56, amellor03 said:

Hey! Long time member but I’ve been out of the hobby for the last +5 years. I was big into scalers back then but the scx10 2 had only just been released!

I’m thinking about getting back into it and buying a rock crawler specific rig either moa or shafty 

when I was last into it you either bought a xr10 (rare then!) enroute berg (rare!) or rc4wd bully 2 ( big bucks) or bought a cheap ax10 roller or axles to build a shafty/sporty class.

What’s the best options now? Anything budget that’s good to modify? I was big into modifying and custom modifying before.

again no scalers of any kind. Pure comp crawlers 

Hey man, great to hear whispers of the icons of crawling!...

I have one rig with the best of both worlds - XR10 axles with a Bully2 body! I believe there should be a post on it here somewhere..

As to the now... There are as you'd expect quite a few different options but nothing I know of that is dirt cheap. In terms of MOA really the Bully2 is the most economic entry option - If you can afford it then buy the kit and add your own electronics...

Besides that the other best option is to look out for second hand rigs - don't come up often but are around, there's a few Face Book UK based pages where you can ask. The only other thing to consider perhaps is a Sporty / Shafty comp crawler instead - so 1 motor on the skid and shaft driven... These are a lot cheaper to access at the starter stages certainly...