• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wolfie1 X-MAXX

wolfie1

44 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Thanks for the encouragement, i think i am going to buy the telemetry expander with the gps module and the voltage sensor to get some of the features back as i quite liked seeing how fast it went when i had it out

It is the max 6 v3 160a version i needed, as i am seeing there is a 200a version as well now?

I have/had maybe 10 if not more of the v3 160a, theyve been fine, other than the one that I knowingly over worked, theyve been epic. So thats fine. Im not aware of the 200a, I thought that was a Max 5

19 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I have/had maybe 10 if not more of the v3 160a, theyve been fine, other than the one that I knowingly over worked, theyve been epic. So thats fine. Im not aware of the 200a, I thought that was a Max 5

This doofer, looks to do all its programming through the bluetooth app like the axe system https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/359393/

Here is a question for someone in the know, i am running louise wheels which are a touch larger than standard and am currently running an 18/50 gear set on the stock motor, since i have changed to the hobbywing max 6 160a esc can i safely change to a 20/50 gear set?

15 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Here is a question for someone in the know, i am running louise wheels which are a touch larger than standard and am currently running an 18/50 gear set on the stock motor, since i have changed to the hobbywing max 6 160a esc can i safely change to a 20/50 gear set?

I run 21/46 with Louise wheels & Max 6. 20/50 will be fine.

10 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I run 21/46 with Louise wheels & Max 6. 20/50 will be fine.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know 🙂

does yours still pull wheelies easily?

Edited by wolfie1

I was on an xmaxx facebook group and seen these things, they are 3d printed cush dampners. They are made from a squishy material that is stiffer than the stock ones, whilst i am messing with my pinion i will install 1 and see how i get on. I got from a company called 3D Abilities and when i added to the basket the postage costs were scary at best so i messaged them and they hand posted them for me at a quarter of the postage cost shown on their website, the person i was messaging with was really nice and helpfull, so a definite recommend from me 🙂

T6JLIj1.jpg

Edited by wolfie1

Just now, Kpowell911 said:

Have you used your Xmaxx with the Max 6 yet?

Unfortunately no 🥲 not yet, it is dinging it down here today with driving rain, so its going to be a tinker day today in the workshop, the burning question is do i turn the heating on in there whilst im in there or just put on a fleece and hat 😂 as its electric heating in there…………..

• Haha 1

Got out today to run this and its well quick now! 1 thing that is troubling me though was the motor temps at 1 point i seen 110c and i stopped to let it cool, how hot is too hot for the stock motor as i may have to go back to the 18t pinion?

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

Got out today to run this and its well quick now! 1 thing that is troubling me though was the motor temps at 1 point i seen 110c and i stopped to let it cool, how hot is too hot for the stock motor as i may have to go back to the 18t pinion?

110c is too hot for brushless motor. How is it measured? How quickly did it get too this temp and on what type of surface? I would keep below 80 deg C as magnet/glue/bearings dont like prolonged use above this.

44 minutes ago, locky said:

110c is too hot for brushless motor. How is it measured? How quickly did it get too this temp and on what type of surface? I would keep below 80 deg C as magnet/glue/bearings dont like prolonged use above this.

It was measured with the traxxas on board temp gauge, it took a while to get there and i was in a cut grass field, here was the field today

O20Nak1.mp4

Just now, locky said:

So doing consecutive speed runs and being on grass with larger/heavier tyres  will be causing motor overheating. How are you getting temps via app if using Hobbywing esc? Still using the Traxxas receiver? How hot was the esc?

Its the motor temps i get on the traxxas app on my phone and yea still the traxxas receiver, esc i have no idea on temps but i have got it set to cut at the lower temp on the tuning card, there was no drop in performance so esc hadnt reached its cut out temp.

i was doing lots of high speed runs on the grass, was really loving seeing the water rooster tails coming off it

Back to back speed runs with any modified machine can lead to high temps, you might find general bashing doesn't cause such high temps. 

As said, 80C is pretty much the limit for most BL motors. 

• 3 weeks later...

After some thought with my temps i did this to the stock fan shroud as traxxas would have designed this with the flow that the stock fans produce and since i have fitted rocket fans it was maybe just more flow than the holes could allow for so drilled some more, it certainly flows more air now by just holding your hand over it and when sitting stationary the temps do come down faster, i have also ordered 2 alloy end plates for the motor as since i am running alloy motor mounts (for the stock motor) with cooling fins on them heat will transfer too them better to aid cooling, well thats my hope anyways.

r8X9R4x.jpg

i am still after a balloon as im really not liking my temporary solution to keeping the ubec dry

I am going to try something today that may well fry my receiver, originally when i got the car with the stock esc it gave you battery voltage so i knew when the battery was away to run out and now with the hobbywing esc  i can be on the far side of a field and the battery dies i need to go and retrieve my car, so with using the same principle on my trx4 and using the online chat with traxxas (they are just so unwilling to help when its not traxxas stuff) am going to connect a live to the wire that displays receiver voltage on the app to the live from the batteries on the esc and see what happens, i am fairly confident its not going to fry it as traxxas did say that the power tap was needed to operate the voltage sensor on the app and just now the voltage wire is just plugged into a channel to read receiver voltage…………….nothing ventures nothing gained right?

• Like 1

So update on this, i made this lead up

Idn83QH.jpg

connected it to the red power input for the voltage for the telemetry that was connected into a channel in the receiver and connected the other end into power cables going into the esc (i already had a power lead soldered into it to power my hv servo) , with some worry connected the main batteries and this happened

xDCKRG5.jpg

success, yay.

Is 3.7 volts the minimum you should discharge a lipo battery to per cell?