• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Transmitters and receivers

Grogg

What do people do with theirs, they seem to multiply like rabbits.  I bought the Flysky GT5 and BS6 combo to use a a transmitter and receiver, it is brilliant, though it hates and doesn't like to work with my HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy.  So I went out and bought myself a Flysky Noble Pro, and it has been flawless out the box, granted it doesn't bind with the BS6 receivers that the GT5 comes with, but with any of the receivers the Flysky Noble Pro comes with has bound to it very fast and easily, not to mention that it has no issues and works perfectly with all my RC cars that I've tried it on to date, my Rock Socker and HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy, I haven't started to build my TT-02 yet, nor have I even opened the box that the HPI Savage XL that I treated myself to came in, so I haven't tried it with those yet.

Now the plan was to use my Noble Pro as my main transmitter and keep the GT5 as a spare and back up, but the HPI Savage XL has thrown a spanner into that idea, it's a ready to run, my first, all my other RCs have been either kits or almost ready to run, so the Savage XL comes with it's own ready to use and pre bound transmitter and receiver, now obviously I want to use my Noble Pro with it, not an issue just replace the receiver the Savage XL came with, with one of the ones my Noble Pro came with, and that's that issue solved.  But what do I do with the transmitter and receiver that the HPI Savage XL came with, just stick it in a cupboard as a back up for my back up?  What do people here do in such situations, do I really need a 3rd transmitter?

Flog it for cheap if it's a TF-50 (might get lucky), or bin it if it's a TF-41. Sucks, but is what it is - there's zero need for a third radio, and nobody is gonna pay more than a tenner for a TF-41. 

That really seams to be the case for ready to run RC cars,  you can really see where they skimp and cut corners, the transmitters and receivers as you say are generally not worth the steps to put them in the bin never mind posting them, the steering servos are totally under powered for the scale and class of car, and from everything I've read if the ESC and motor are a ''rebadge'' of a brand known for making ESCs and motors, you'll find that the brand that is supposedly ''rebadged'' in the RC ESC programing cards don't work with them, and if one is available it will be propriety to the RC brand sometimes even model if not scale.  The Savage XL, which is big for a 1/8 scale, comes with a 10kg steering servo, the HPI Savage XL Flux V2 GTXL-6 has a wheelbase of 395mm and even though I haven't opened the box yet, I can assure you it is by no means a light RC, it's substantially heavier than my 8s Castle powered  HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy with both batteries in it, I'd say not far off of double the weight, and the HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy has a wheelbase of 360mm, and both bundles come with a 15kg steering servo.

Edited by Grogg

I was getting a large collection of transmitters with RTR cars, i ended up buying a flysky GT3B (awesome) and now all but one are set up on this, i kept my FTX Texan on its stock radio just so i did not have all my eggs in one basket, on the basis if my GT3 goes faulty i still have an RTR to use

I sold a bunch of TX/RX combo`s and this more or less paid for the GT3 and a second RX

Edited by Lone-wolf

I run a flysky gt3c for all my cars except the trx4 as the flysky is only a 3ch and the kyosho nitro blizzard has a stick transmitter, i have many controls in a box in the loft, but i have ran into an issue,  i have run out of channels on the flysky now. Just recently i got a maverick quantum + and it came with what looked like a hobbywing esc, so i bought a hobbywing programming card and that does connect and change all the stuff on it succesfully, it has taken up the last space on the flysky

Edited by wolfie1

Sometimes it can be worth keeping the rtr tx/rx cos if you decide to sell it you can put it back to rtr spec

You can bin them or sell them 

Years ago i had quite a collection of rtr combos and donated them to the boat club im a member of to boost funds and the fast boat crowd lapped em up 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Sometimes it can be worth keeping the rtr tx/rx cos if you decide to sell it you can put it back to rtr spec

You can bin them or sell them 

Years ago i had quite a collection of rtr combos and donated them to the boat club im a member of to boost funds and the fast boat crowd lapped em up 

Thats what I do. My X Maxx, Maxx & E Revo 2.0 are all off my NB4, and Ive got 2x spare RXs for the Tamiya's if I run them. The rest have RTR radios, to be fair the Traxxas one is quite good. The positive to this is I could probably take 12 RCs out at once, lipo dependant. Its good when family come over, although I think weve only had around 8 out once

• Like 1

i tend to let em build up but i tend to have my most used ones on the specktrum dx5c, doesnt help that a lot of the smaller scale cars come with inbuilt esc/rx combos which means transmitters every where lol

• Haha 1