• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Prime Mover 6X6 build

I have steel body with a double cab and a dropside rear, in the style of a MAN KAT truck, though it needs some work and detailing. However the axle placement is in the right places and nothing rubs! My intention is to trail run and operate with 1/14 Tamiya’s rather than rock crawl it - more show pony than swamp thing 🤠

• Like 3

Does the rear pass-through diff housing just get made from stock parts?

I know when I made my 6x6 Hyper7, I had to trim the housings where they had a locating ridge...but they basically just fitted neatly together. Not the case when I looked at doing the same with Savage parts. The diff housing was not symetrical inside, and I couldn't make that work easily.

• Like 2

That looks ace man! 
It could be an expensive adventure but scale hardware would help hide the hex heads. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ad456m said:

That looks ace man! 
It could be an expensive adventure but scale hardware would help hide the hex heads. 

Thats the sneaky plan 😉

• Like 3

What about replacing the body screws with domehead hex screws might make them less obvious ?

Really like the body tho its begging to be painted green or green/black camo :good:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I completed and painted the chassis, and gave it a few tweaks. Because of the SCX clone transmission coupled to the TRX4 portals the reduction is huge so I’m running a 15 turn 540 with a 87t spur and a mystery pinion (well its gold, that much I know!) I‘m hoping the torque ought to be ample. I added Traxxas servos for the diff locks for front and centre axles, but my experience in RC semi’s has taught me to leave the back axle unlocked or you can‘t turn the a thing this long.

Shocks, oil and springs still need playing with, its quite weighty with the body work attached, so much so those are monster beetle CVA’s and springs on the front! Axles are stock TRX4 but I did oil the bearings and regrease with Vanquish grease. The front axle has an Injora truss and 4 links in lieu of a panhard rod. Most of the parts were cribbed from Jenny’s. To hold the diff servos an alloy Boom racing servo holder got hacked and filed to fit. Finally a trusty 1080 was fitted.

Now I just need to test run in the wild, but with coachwork 🤠

4AuV6Pt.jpg

ln3OmOb.jpg
  • Like 3

So been out for a quick crawl, articulation is great, but the links do hang up. It would probably benefit from a stronger servo too. Those Minster Beetle CVA shocks are scandals to a crawler connoisseur but they handle the cab weight just perfectly. The soft rear shocks are usual crawler specs though.

IMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.4c044f281759a462bea41fb154a81f58.jpeg

However I built as a trail truck not a full on rock crawler so I’m pleased with the outcome 👍

IMG_0793.thumb.jpeg.ff9c0c8389d1c1116896ee8d14496906.jpeg

IMG_0796.thumb.jpeg.66fca68810265c605bd2c424f57b919f.jpeg

• Like 2

Really dig this mate you should be well proud 🙂 got something like this up my sleeve and if it turned out anywhere near this in terms of quality id be very happy. Looks right at home at the expo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1