• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello from Bury st Edmunds.

Hi All
Jonathan from Bury st Edmunds here. 7 weeks into the hobby as a complete newb apart from my second hand Boomerang I had as a kid. Iv'e been a life long BMX/MTB'er an afer a few very hard slams an injuries I've finnaly come to the realisation at 49 I'm getting old! SO, winding in the MTB an was allways interested in RC an crawlers. I asked another MTB friend who is into crawlers for advice on a cheap, fun no worries if I smash it crawler. He showed me the FMS Power Wagon an I HAD to have one! soon after that I saw the Ford pick up body an found out about the Max Smasher so..... HAD to have one of them as well! Then, I decided I wanted a 1/10 truck/buggy to get me out the house an into the woods an again. The Arrma Vorteks was recomended and purchased, 4WD kit fitted. Happy with those trucks but, 1/10 crawlers started to tempt me.... I was into the FTX at the price range I was looking at but was recommended the Absima CR3.4. Went for the Khambra as it in the price range I was looking at, especially at £100 off! Gotta say not overly impressed with this truck as the others I have. The stock tyres rub on the body shell out of the box so obviously I ordered bigger ones :'D currently upgrading this truck with metal parts but, looking into 'comp' style bodies as wasn't a big fan of the FJ anyway.... 

Mostly I'm here  looking to find spots an clubs in the Norfolk,Suffolk an Cambs area. Meet ups and events. REALLY looking forward to this hobby!!! 

• Like 2

I don't know enough about stuff yet to reccmend it or not but, I was after an all out crawler an the Absima seems like a good 'scale'/ 'trail'truck that's a bit of both rather than a pro crawler. It is packed with features though like the two speed box an un/lockable F&R diff switches. That an the sale price is why I picked it over the FTX.
Gonna have fun modding it tho :'D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Naptime said:

Hi All
Jonathan from Bury st Edmunds here. 7 weeks into the hobby as a complete newb apart from my second hand Boomerang I had as a kid. Iv'e been a life long BMX/MTB'er an afer a few very hard slams an injuries I've finnaly come to the realisation at 49 I'm getting old! SO, winding in the MTB an was allways interested in RC an crawlers. I asked another MTB friend who is into crawlers for advice on a cheap, fun no worries if I smash it crawler. He showed me the FMS Power Wagon an I HAD to have one! soon after that I saw the Ford pick up body an found out about the Max Smasher so..... HAD to have one of them as well! Then, I decided I wanted a 1/10 truck/buggy to get me out the house an into the woods an again. The Arrma Vorteks was recomended and purchased, 4WD kit fitted. Happy with those trucks but, 1/10 crawlers started to tempt me.... I was into the FTX at the price range I was looking at but was recommended the Absima CR3.4. Went for the Khambra as it in the price range I was looking at, especially at £100 off! Gotta say not overly impressed with this truck as the others I have. The stock tyres rub on the body shell out of the box so obviously I ordered bigger ones :'D currently upgrading this truck with metal parts but, looking into 'comp' style bodies as wasn't a big fan of the FJ anyway.... 

Mostly I'm here  looking to find spots a clubs in the Norfolk,Suffolk an Cambs area. Meet ups and events. REALLY looking forward to this hobby!!! 

Welcome, if it’s crawling trails you are after, Thetford forest is always a good free visit.

Otherwise there are a number of tracks/ sites with crawling tracks/trails.

Cambridge RC raceway has its newly refurbished massive oval for 1/5 and 1/8th scale, they have spent a lot of time and effort building a crawling area in the woodland next to the track. Check out FB for more info.

Further a field there is HNMC with a dedicated crawler course, very extensive and well looked after these days.

Beds electric car club, have moved sites and are in the progress building new trail/ track.

19 hours ago, QRC said:

Welcome, if it’s crawling trails you are after, Thetford forest is always a good free visit.

Otherwise there are a number of tracks/ sites with crawling tracks/trails.

Cambridge RC raceway has its newly refurbished massive oval for 1/5 and 1/8th scale, they have spent a lot of time and effort building a crawling area in the woodland next to the track. Check out FB for more info.

Further a field there is HNMC with a dedicated crawler course, very extensive and well looked after these days.

Beds electric car club, have moved sites and are in the progress building new trail/ track.

been out in Thetto forest a bit with the Arrma, gonna take the crawler to the bombholes soon. Has anybody ever made it up Castle hill in Thetto? Got a week off for Easter an gonna give that a try! Should be fun😁

Just ordered my 5th car. Just a cheap dr?ft/power slide FTX Banzai. Purely for a mess about 'don't care if I break it' rig for some car park fun
They were right when they said RC is addictive!!!

2 hours ago, Naptime said:

Just ordered my 5th car. Just a cheap dr?ft/power slide FTX Banzai. Purely for a mess about 'don't care if I break it' rig for some car park fun
They were right when they said RC is addictive!!!

If get into drifting there is the monthly meet at Risby, West Suffolk Drift Rc club 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi
So, I had an idea this could be a good spot for some pirate track building for both buggies/dirt/trucks & crawlers. I poped up to have a look an found that some body has allready made a little loop. I think it's teens on scooters/mopeds.  All the loop needs is some lumps,bumps an berms building (I'm sure the scooters won't mind 😄 ) I've been building BMX & MTB trails all my life so this shouldn't take long with a barrow an a few helpers 😉 The area has large banks around it so some great areas to build crawler lines. It's usually litter free so no broken glass dumped rubbish etc.  There's even a little pond for RC boats 😄 
Only problem is there's not a lot of parking nearby...

20230424_141343.jpg

20230424_141406.jpg

Edited by Naptime

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2023 at 21:05, stretch said:

Welcome to the forum Ipswich here.  That last pic is that Toby's?

It's a spot in Bury st Eds/Roughham industrial estate. Near Sealy's could find it on google maps if you follow the A14..

Edited by Naptime
  • Like 1

Awesome! what you reckon? Seems like a nice size loop to me. All we need now is some features, jumps berms etc.. I been digging an building MTB an BMX stuff all me life but, not sure on the sizes of stuff for RC? especially with all the different speeds of the trucks...

Edited by Naptime

Really enjoyed it until a wheel nut coming loose and flying off followed by the wheel ended play, there's plenty there to be going on with, and adding a couple more features would make it even better. The faster corners are perfect for me although I did fling the buggy off some jumps at speeds I wouldn't be doing with the nitro ones. Only saw a couple of joggers and nobody else!

On 04/05/2023 at 21:05, stretch said:

Welcome to the forum Ipswich here.  That last pic is that Toby's?

P.S What/where is Toby's?

• 3 weeks later...

Popped up today, AWESOME dusty, roost conditions! Should've took my GoPro. Ran two LiPo's through the Vorteks but, didn't see anyone. Next time it rains I'm gonna start building. Just little stuff like moguls an rollers that can be gapped, make a better job of the little jumps that are allready there for bashing an see if I'm upsetting any one.

I was there twice today! The guys that built it are normally there Saturday afternoons but weren't today, they use it for their YouTube channel RC3DPrints, maybe drop them a comment before changing too much as they do timed laps and stuff there for their channel, although it isn't their land and I'm sure they won't mind

• 1 month later...