• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

might be a hypocrite.....small crawlers

After owning the FTX 1/16th defender and just finding it to small for outdoor use, and speaking my mind on this very subject, i have been (bored) watching a fair few video`s on YT and a lot of people seem to be having good fun with the little stuff, seems to be a huge aftermarket parts for SCX24 and TRX4m and the 1/24th FMS,.

So im now tempted to go for a little rig, but first which one, looks wise the TRX4 Bronco is sweet and comes with full size TX that is handy for my filming of my stuff (camera mounts on tx)

Also a big concern is these little guys seem to be a money pit for guys like me that enjoy a few mods and upgrades, though in fairness i guess you can go extreme or just a few bits according to budget and such.

So i guess the issue is are they worth having for outdoor use and which one if i were to do this

• Like 1

If i were to get a wee crawler it would be TRX4m  and get the pro lightkit for it which is under £28 ish  but like all crawlers they can be money pits with upgrades etc 

• Like 1

We Have TRX4Ms, but this applies  to them all. I personally think their appeal is the after market support, and they’re designed for people to sink money into. Which i dont think is wise. We enjoy ours, bone stock, and intended to use them indoor, but we got them as a bit of Christmas stocking filler,  not used them much since. Theyre capable,  but their size is always going to be a limit, and outdoors, you hit that limit very quickly. Unless youre going to use them at meets or comps with other people (which Id imagine is amazing) Id not bother personally.

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 3

With the upgrades from China you an get a lot for your money, after I sold all the traxxas electronics the money that I made from that covered the cost of the new electronics and upgrades. If you brought a TRX4M with the intentions of buying all the traxxas upgrades then yes it's not worth it as they are silly money and you wouldn't be far off a TRX4 sport. 

The reason I changed the electronics was because pretty much everyone has reported that their stock servo failed pretty quickly and with good alternatives being less than £20 personally I think its the first thing that you should do and I didn't want to only use the traxxas lipos, you can buy adaptors however as I wanted to use my own controller it made sense to just replace everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

We Have TRX4Ms, but this applies  to them all. I personally think their appeal is the after market support, and they’re designed for people to sink money into. Which i dont think is wise. We enjoy ours, bone stock, and intended to use them indoor, but we got them as a bit of Christmas stocking filler,  not used them much since. Theyre capable,  but their size is always going to be a limit, and outdoors, you hit that limit very quickly. Unless youre going to use them at meets or comps with other people (which Id imagine is amazing) Id not bother personally.

you are kinda summing up my gut feeling here

I love my SCX24 Deadbolt, so many options to upgrade from companies like Injora.

Love how just moving the shockers to other holes in the chassis rails completely changes its dynamics.

I guess they could be limited out doors but it's all relative to where you drive them, a 1/6th scale could struggle for n massive rocks.

It could be a black hole for your pay packet, but you'll be grinning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I was so close last night to ordering one myself but something In the back of my head was just stopping me and what you said has just confirmed my hesitation would love one but with all the parts and what not it would turn into a very expensive model for the shelf

• Like 1

i av the 1/18th  ftx mini-x,but find them hard to work on[fat fingers and poor eyesight]. now bought a carisma sca-1e. so will post my mini crawler bundle in the sales page,as there mite be some interest?

If I was going to get another mini-crawler, I'd go for something a bit different and choose the Traction Hobby Tank 300 in 1:24...

Sa828865a482345f5bc671e7e8f228c8dh.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

S12d6d14ec06b47c59468e28a9867d90cD.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

Sff93eac5e01743919960622b60d21afdn.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

1 hour ago, BlackSeaRC said:

If I was going to get another mini-crawler, I'd go for something a bit different and choose the Traction Hobby Tank 300 in 1:24...

Sa828865a482345f5bc671e7e8f228c8dh.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

S12d6d14ec06b47c59468e28a9867d90cD.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

Sff93eac5e01743919960622b60d21afdn.jpg?width=1000&height=562&hash=1562

Thats really nice :good:

But feel for outdoor use it maybe to small 

My son has the Axial 1/24 and its a superb wee truck i feel its very limited for outdoor use  my opinion anyway lol 

• Like 1

I want to clarify I dont think the fact that these are obviously designed at people sinking £500 into them is a bad thing. My next project is a TT02 that will end up costing TRF Race Car money. If people wanna do that its great for the hobby. But I  think you need to accept that and youre always going to be dragged into that. Youre gonna go on forums or youtube and see everyones mods and get but thats upto you. 

For the record Im far from a pro at crawling. In fact Im an amateur. I find the stock TRX4M brilliant, like suprisingly impressivr. but regardless of how much you sink into it its always gonna be small, id wager even a cheap 10th Scale is going to be more fun outside than one of these. I think @Lone-wolf said to me when I got mine, you can get a 10th scale for similar. 

That said, if youve got others to play with, in an indoor environment on a weekly basis I can imagine these are absolutely incredible. 

Basically @Lone-wolfdo what you can, save what you can, sell what you can and get a used Full Fat used TRX4 😉

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

@Kpowell911 yes they respond to having all the mods done, with a big spend, some people have done this to the 1/18th and 1/24th to make very capable rigs, tomr did metal links and better tyres on the 1/18 4m bronco and the video was pretty good, one thing i will say is Traxxas nailed the scale look with these.

i wont be getting a full fat TRX4, i think we know that, fact is i have run out of room to store another full size rig and though i have 2 1/10th rigs up for sale i wont get a buyer because i wont drop the price to low value just to move them on, they are priced at market value, i did consider selling another 1/10, the Texan but i cant let it go, put to much work and money into it making it a very good rig

• Like 1

I just priced up sensible upgrades on Injora, light kit, brass steering parts plus brass link set and diff covers, reduction metal gears and wheels tyres.....about £130-145. I guess could just go with wheels and tyres but really this is getting way to much money for an 18th truck

36 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Slightly off topic however traxxas is trying to sue other companies who are selling parts for the TRX4M...

Screenshot_20230404_164707_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230404_164710_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230404_164714_Facebook.jpg

I had already ruled out getting the TRX4m on the grounds of being to small, but this is why i hate the brand, not because of what they make but how they conduct themselves, talk about bully boy marketing and business practise 

8 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

I had already ruled out getting the TRX4m on the grounds of being to small, but this is why i hate the brand, not because of what they make but how they conduct themselves, talk about bully boy marketing and business practise 

If they are doing it for the TRX4M then potentially they are looking to expand that to other models, I know they are very trigger happy when it comes to sueing peolle. They've even included jennysrc who only split the models and sell the parts on! 

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Like any of the above would worry China! Thats where the majority of aftermarket comes from?

They are targeting smaller US based companies, one letter from the traxxas legal department and they'd either have to bend the knee or get taken to court. Chinese companies on the other hand collect legal documents like this for a good laugh 😂

• Like 2