• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ni-Mh charge discharge Please Please Help.

Mr Johnty

Hi All.

Can i please ask for a bit of help with the charging discharging of nimh batteries.

I have just bought two 5000mah nimh batteries i have also bought a fast charger that charges from 0.1A up to 5A  FUSION NX86 AC/DC DELTA PEAK FAST CHARGER Ni-Cd/NiMH

Am i ok fast charging at 5A for 5000mah.? or is that a good way to boil the cells?

I have 2 X 3300mah and 2X 1800mah what charge rate should i be using for these on the fast charger?

Also discharging of nimh do i need to do it? and how often? im guessing when the car stops working the battery is still not fully flat and i belive they can get memory that can damage the cells.

so what im asking in a nut shell is.

1. can i do 5A fast charge evey time i charge my 5000mah batteris OR is that bad if so please help.

2. is it better to do a lower charge rate?

3. do i need to discharge  the battery untill fully flat to stop memory from happening?

4. If i need to discharge after running down in the car how do i discharge to fully flat safely by DIY methods?

There seems to be lots of guides on charging discharging of LiPo batteris but nothing about NiMh. not every one wants to use LiPo please help could some one do an idiots guide to NiMh batteris please.

Sorry about all the questions but i know very little about electronics and dont want to damage the batteries orn start a fire .😬👎🙄

I believe a 1C charge rate should be fine. 5 Amps for the 5000 pack, 1.8 for the 1800 etc. 

Lower charge rates can help with a longer lifespan, cooler charge temps, but isn't strictly necessary. 

Yes, try to discharge fully, your charger should have this setting. If not, make your own with a car headlight bulb. 

5a for your 5000 mah is fine 

when i used nihms more often my charger was a flat 5a twin port job no variable amps output and used to charge smaller batteries from 1800-5500 mah at 5a 

i still have some of those old batteries that occaisionaly get used in my boats and tanks

they do get warm when charging tho

34 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I'll be honest, i don't know much about NiMH packs because they're ancient technology - but hold off on charging at 5C and make 100% certain that it's okay to do so, that doesn't sound right to me. 5C is pretty steep for even LiPos. 

The average charge rate for NiMH apparently is 1/10 C, that means your 5000mah pack should be charged at 500mA, not 25000mA. 1C is considered rapid charge and requires monitoring. 

I very much wouldn't do it.

Maybe being blind  here, but where is 5C mentioned? Ive also always charged NIMH at 1C even back in the day at the race track with my Matched GP3300’s?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Maybe being blind  here, but where is 5C mentioned? Ive also always charged NIMH at 1C even back in the day at the race track with my Matched GP3300’s?

No you're not, you're absolutely right - i've misread 5A as 5C. 

I still use a few NI-MH packs in crawlers, i charge at the mah on the pack so 4.5 amp for 4500mah pack, almost never use the charger to discharge but when im feeling kind to a pack i might do a "cycle" full discharge with full charge, but dont think it makes a lot of difference

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 20:34, Swampmobile said:

I have a carnage Nitro and it's reliable. Spares are cheap on chassis parts. I share the spares with and electric brushed one as back up to save disappointed son on days out. Which probably  tells its own story sadly. 

Thanks again everyone for the information .

I'm more confident now knowing what charge rates to use .

Does anyone know of any sort of Nimh battery guide out there that explains all this to a novice All the charging rates discharging so on so on .

It would be a right good read .

So do I realy need to do a full discharge on them every now and again or not bother ??

Massive thanks again  to everyone who replied 🙏 👍