• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Reliable Basher - Kronos XTR vs Traxxas Sledge

I'm looking for a new reliable truggy style basher and currently narrowed it down to the Team Corally XRT or Traxxas Sledge.

I already have an Arrma Fireteam and Talion but fancy something new that gets away from the Arrma diff issues (I've been selling off and downsizing my Arrma fleet)

I've heard Corally cars have great diffs and great handling and that the XRT only really needs upgraded shock stand-offs to be an all round beast. What are peoples thoughts on these two?

image.thumb.png.945e9388674e3aaea2ca4e74dd8f861e.png

Edited by Mr_Joe

both are good trucks but i think the Corally is cheaper

I have the Kronos V2 along with the Shogun and really like them

My son also has a V1 Kronos and only thing he has broke on it is the rear wing and wing mount

As for parts CML is the distributor in UK and you can get any parts there

but at end day both are good so pick the 1 you like best :good:

Ohh should have mentioned Corally customer support is awesome 

Son cartwheeled his V1 Kronos and knacked steering servo so he mentioned it on facebook and they sent a new servo FOC via CML

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 2

I like the look of the Sledge but reviews online say you basically need chassis, esc and hardened gears on an already expensive truck.

XTR seems to be good (apart from shock standoffs) straight out the gate and I'll be honest I like the price at just under £400 and I already have a motor, servo and receiver. Thanks for comments 👌

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr_Joe said:

I like the look of the Sledge but reviews online say you basically need chassis, esc and hardened gears on an already expensive truck.

XTR seems to be good (apart from shock standoffs) straight out the gate and I'll be honest I like the price at just under £400 and I already have a motor, servo and receiver. Thanks for comments 👌

That's Traxxas for you 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Joe said:

👌

Depends how hard youre bashing. My Sledge is stock other than the ESC, and its been fine and Ive had it since release. The Talbots of the world obviously go hard and thats where the issues come from. I cant comment on the XTR, but I have heard good things about it.

The Sledge isnt cheap mind I agree with that. 

Edited by Kpowell911

Corally all day. I usually like Traxxas RCs, but the Sledge is one of the weaker ones (and one of the most overpriced ones, too). 

You already noticed the weak spot (standoffs) on the XRT, depending on how hard you go you might want to change the carbon fibre chassis brace to the 7075 one (watch Tomley RC video on the XRT, that's where he broke his). Other than that, it appears to be pretty tough. People do add another strap to the battery tray though, the battery isn't really well secured forwards/backwards (only straps over the side, not back to front), another thing that Tomley broke. 

Funny, started looking at one yesterday because i need a home for my Castle MMX8s/1717-1650, today another thread popped up. If you're like me and can't stand that shell, Outcast 6s unbreakable bodies fit with slight modification too. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

@Kpowell911 yea I'm one of those people who have never bent a chasis no matter how hard I bash but with the Sledge it was more the diff issues I was fearing as thats what I've had with the Arrma's, but I also saw a few vids on YouTube where people had swapped out the esc. Not sure if that was necessary or not

@m4inbrain I actually have an old Outcast body so might give that a go.

7 hours ago, Darren Frosty said:

Great find! Definitly putting some of those in my basket!!!

43 minutes ago, Mr_Joe said:

@m4inbrain I actually have an old Outcast body so might give that a go.

It does need trimming at the rear a little bit (basically, the vertical part at the rear - the tailgate), and the rear body post holes need to be slightly "elongated". That's it. 

In regards to Traxxas ESCs.. They're almost a meme by now. I don't know about the VXL6s, but i had the 8s version in my X-Maxx that just gave up out of nowhere. Would immediately replace it - not just for reliability, it also wakes the RC up, and then hope some poor soul on eBay purchases the brand new VXL6s. 

• Like 1

• Mr_Joe changed the title to Reliable Basher - Kronos XTR vs Traxxas Sledge
On 23/03/2023 at 12:54, Kpowell911 said:

Depends how hard youre bashing. My Sledge is stock other than the ESC, and its been fine and Ive had it since release. The Talbots of the world obviously go hard and thats where the issues come from. I cant comment on the XTR, but I have heard good things about it.

The Sledge isnt cheap mind I agree with that. 

Is the sledge quick out the gate? What esc did you fit? Do you run 2 3s lipos or 1 6s?

Edited by Mr_Joe

Went for the Kronos XTR with a couple different bodies and its an amazing car, wuper smooth and has great punch.

Sad thing is, whilst im happy with the Kronos a part of me is still hankering for the Sledge 🙄🤣

20230430_081841.jpg

20230430_081912.jpg

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mr_Joe said:

Went for the Kronos XTR with a couple different bodies and its an amazing car, wuper smooth and has great punch.

Sad thing is, whilst im happy with the Kronos a part of me is still hankering for the Sledge 🙄🤣

20230430_081841.jpg

20230430_081912.jpg

that is the thing about this hobby. nobody is ever happy with just the one rc 😄 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

that is the thing about this hobby. nobody is ever happy with just the one rc 😄 

Hahahaha 100% agree its a never ending slippery slope. I had 9 RCs and have got it down to just three. Much easier to maintain but always something new catching my eye

28 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Yea its quick. We fitted a Max 6, and run 2x 3S lipo

Max6 seems to wake these Traxxas cars up. I have one on my XRT and it's much more rapid since fitting the max6

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr_Joe said:

Hahahaha 100% agree its a never ending slippery slope. I had 9 RCs and have got it down to just three. Much easier to maintain but always something new catching my eye

Max6 seems to wake these Traxxas cars up. I have one on my XRT and it's much more rapid since fitting the max6

you can ask anyone on here and i guarantee they will have more than one or none at all like me 😄 

• Haha 1

Not that I have experience with any of the models you mention, I will say every review I seen for the Kronos has been very positive, in fact I don't think I've seen a negative review about it.  Unfortunately I don't have any link to the YouTube videos I watched, but one of them had me seriously considering getting a Kronos instead of the the HPI Savage XL.

• Like 1