• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RX gyro.

Rustic Ade

Evening,

Just run up my Big Rock after replacing the radio gear with a Flysky GT5 and gyro rx.

Hoping to appear to have more control, it is quite the opposite and makes me look like I'm hammered, swerving and steering all over and no straight line to be had. When turned down to 0% it is fine but dialled up it's awful. 

Ran the calibration from the radio but no change.

Should the rx be oriented in any particular way in the car?

Any help gratefully received!

• Like 1

Ok try this.

Hold the car by its rear and front facing the floor.

Wiggle the car side to side.

Which direction are the wheels going if you move it left and right?

Left and the wheels should move to the left. Right and the wheels should move to the right. Ideally what you want to see is the wheels are always facing the ground as you wiggle the car side to side.

Go to 1:58 to see what i mean - 

If they are doing the opposite then that is your issue. Your car slides and instead of the car turning into the slide it turns out of it and you spin or lose control. To resolve this you should be able to reverse the gyros direction. That should solve it.

Regarding gyro positioning you want it as centred to the cars centre axis as possible i believe to get the best results. I have mine slightly forward and to the right as driveshaft through the middle and rx is boxed in.

Edited by totlxtc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always found gyros a pain for most off road bashing due to them over correcting, so you end up turning them down to practically where they have no effect. In theory placement near the centre of gravity is best but it never made much difference with the ones I have which were separate to rx. A well set up suspension and correct tyres for conditions will improve handling, as well as adjusting your driving style. As said if you move the rear say to the left then the front wheels should steer left. Also check that the front wheels dont counter steer when moving car up and down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, totlxtc said:

Ok try this.

Hold the car by its rear and front facing the floor.

Wiggle the car side to side.

Which direction are the wheels going if you move it left and right?

Left and the wheels should move to the left. Right and the wheels should move to the right. Ideally what you want to see is the wheels are always facing the ground as you wiggle the car side to side.

Go to 1:58 to see what i mean - 

If they are doing the opposite then that is your issue. Your car slides and instead of the car turning into the slide it turns out of it and you spin or lose control. To resolve this you should be able to reverse the gyros direction. That should solve it.

Regarding gyro positioning you want it as centred to the cars centre axis as possible i believe to get the best results. I have mine slightly forward and to the right as driveshaft through the middle and rx is boxed in.

They move as they should but as it drives, it isn't the compensatory action, it's literally like it's steering on it's own.

Only had a quick blast so need to have a better look at the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

As this is the GT5, have a look at this guide at the gyro section   https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/flysky-fs-gt5-transmitter-review-and-setup

I never really found the right spot with the gyro on my GT5 but I think it just needs more tweaking than say a Dumbo X6FG which just has a dial you turn up and down.

Will sit down this weekend and try and digest this.

• Like 1

My kid brother has a Vorteks which has  stock Spektrum radio gear featuring a gyro. The position is the same as in the Big Rock, on the RHS, behind the front wheel, and it drives really well.

Think I need to get a good night's kip and forget about it till the weekend when I get some time to dedicate to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, locky said:

I've always found gyros a pain for most off road bashing due to them over correcting, so you end up turning them down to practically where they have no effect. In theory placement near the centre of gravity is best but it never made much difference with the ones I have which were separate to rx. A well set up suspension and correct tyres for conditions will improve handling, as well as adjusting your driving style. As said if you move the rear say to the left then the front wheels should steer left. Also check that the front wheels dont counter steer when moving car up and down.

Know what @locky, you might be onto something, I was driving on lumpy ground and come to think of it, that might have affected when it was steering.

Right, bring on Saturday and some figuring!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

My kid brother has a Vorteks which has  stock Spektrum radio gear featuring a gyro. The position is the same as in the Big Rock, on the RHS, behind the front wheel, and it drives really well.

Think I need to get a good night's kip and forget about it till the weekend when I get some time to dedicate to it.

I could be talking rubbish here, but maybe Spektrum AVC is more sophisticated than “just” a gyro?

Most of my models have TSM and I do agree that it helps, but its always turned down significantly as I find it on even half is over bearing

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I could be talking rubbish here, but maybe Spektrum AVC is more sophisticated than “just” a gyro?

Most of my models have TSM and I do agree that it helps, but its always turned down significantly as I find it on even half is over bearing

It definitely is more sophisticated than just a gyro but must work because of one...and one sited in the rx which is in the same position as mine. I guess it is maybe 'programmed' to compensate for placement.

I wasn't sure if maybe turning it through 90° might have an effect? I wonder if it is reacting to acceleration/deceleration instead of lateral force.

Would that sound feasible?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

It definitely is more sophisticated than just a gyro but must work because of one...and one sited in the rx which is in the same position as mine. I guess it is maybe 'programmed' to compensate for placement.

I wasn't sure if maybe turning it through 90° might have an effect? I wonder if it is reacting to acceleration/deceleration instead of lateral force.

Would that sound feasible?

I think youre going to have to play around with receiver placement. Does your radio have a way of  changing the sensitivity of the gyro? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I think youre going to have to play around with receiver placement. Does your radio have a way of  changing the sensitivity of the gyro? 

Yes, 0-100%. To be fair I only gave it a quick blast and though I did adjust the sensitivity, which didn't seem to improve things, I was having to contend with my bosses alpacas which are expensive things to take out with a speeding basher....parts aren't cheap.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, locky said:

Radio protocol/speed and servo quality with damping all have a part to play with gyros. 

I thought it was going to be plug and play 🙄

Oh well, everyday is a school day.

• Haha 1

How did you get on with this @Rustic Ade? I had another go with it today but had a bit of a weird one….. maybe someone can explain this?
I decided to try and be a bit methodical about it by driving round the same bit of car park and playing with the settings so I could understand how they affected the handling of the car a bit better. 
BUT

When I tried to open the menu to adjust the settings, the TX flashed up a message that said “SVC not supported”. 

Which is really odd.  
When SVC (gyro) is turned on, the steering turns and motor speed drops as you waggle the car.?? 
Discovered that if I turn the RX off and change settings on the TX, that the changes are applied when I turn the RX back on again. 🤷‍♂️
The only thing I can’t do is calibrate it, as to do this the RX has to be turned on and I just get the “not supported” message.

Was just starting to get my head round some of it, when I lost a front dog bone and drive cup and that was playtime over for the day.

But why the F does it say function not supported when it clearly is?

• Like 1

As an afterthought to all my waffle 👆

It crossed my mind that it might just be a faulty RX? Not sure how likely that is?
I have another RX linked to that TX in a different car. I shall try messing with the settings on that. See if I get the “not supported” message again.

Never thought to try it before as the other car is a crawler 😂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

How did you get on with this @Rustic Ade? I had another go with it today but had a bit of a weird one….. maybe someone can explain this?
I decided to try and be a bit methodical about it by driving round the same bit of car park and playing with the settings so I could understand how they affected the handling of the car a bit better. 
BUT

When I tried to open the menu to adjust the settings, the TX flashed up a message that said “SVC not supported”. 

Which is really odd.  
When SVC (gyro) is turned on, the steering turns and motor speed drops as you waggle the car.?? 
Discovered that if I turn the RX off and change settings on the TX, that the changes are applied when I turn the RX back on again. 🤷‍♂️
The only thing I can’t do is calibrate it, as to do this the RX has to be turned on and I just get the “not supported” message.

Was just starting to get my head round some of it, when I lost a front dog bone and drive cup and that was playtime over for the day.

But why the F does it say function not supported when it clearly is?

@Fat Freddy alright, to be honest, I haven't had 10 minutes to myself since I first tried it out. Work, kids, weather, all the normal stuff.

What vehicle and radio gear are you running out of interest?

4 hours ago, Rustic Ade said:

@Fat Freddy alright, to be honest, I haven't had 10 minutes to myself since I first tried it out. Work, kids, weather, all the normal stuff.

What vehicle and radio gear are you running out of interest?

It's only a little Tamiya tt02 with rally wheels on it. 

Tx is a fs-gt5 (same as yours?). The RX that came in the box with it is in a different car. This receiver was bought separately, which might be something to do with the "not supported" messages??

It's hardly essential but I was curious. 

2 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

It's only a little Tamiya tt02 with rally wheels on it. 

Tx is a fs-gt5 (same as yours?). The RX that came in the box with it is in a different car. This receiver was bought separately, which might be something to do with the "not supported" messages??

It's hardly essential but I was curious. 

Yes, same radio gear, I put the one which came with it in my Cobra, and bought another, similar one for the Big Rock.

Binding them both and the gyro reaction in both was fine but the Cobra is too slow to need a gyro to enhance performance, and the big rock handles like the driver's drunk 🤣

I'm going to have a sit down and figure when I get time, maybe when I retire, mind I think retirement age is 132 now isn't it!?

• Haha 1