• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper VS ridiculous under steer

took the hyper Vs out a run today with some tarmac tyres on for a blast and I have never seen understeer quite like it, it was the same on on grass but I thought it might have been the big knobbly badland style tyres I was running but it’s the same on tarmac, I wound rear preload full on and front preload full off but I still can’t get any steering on power is terriable and off power is just about manageable, my only hope is to break the rear free with a blip of throttle. Anyone got experience with this car? I’m guessing some toe out might help up front and diff oils but I have no idea where to start with what weight to use where. Any suggestions much appreciated

I can't find a setup sheet but here's a long list of things to try based on the exploded view, I've try to only suggest things that don't need new parts.

• Front lower shock mount, inboard
  • Front upper shock mount, inboard
  • Rear lower shock mount, outboard
  • Rear upper shock mount, outboard
  • Rear camber link, mount so its longer (hub and inboard ends)
  • Rear camber link, raise the inner mount, lower hub mount
  • Remove the front roll bar
  • Stiffer rear roll bar (extra purchase)
  • Raise the rear hub height
  • Shorten the wheelbase
  • Thinner diff oils in all diffs. I'd try 10k, 5k, 5k F, C, R or even thinner if you have already got something similar. (extra purchase)

Don't add rear toe in, that will make the car push even more.

Nitro or electric, spur/pinion ratio? All stock parts? If electric 4s or 6s lipo? Are the front tyres ballooning more than rears? Thicker centre diff oil will usually help to even out power to front and rear, but need to know whether nitro or brushless in order to indicate viscosity range. If all stock then diffs will usually be greased which wont help with understeer.

Some wise words from a past post....

Rear Toe-in This is one of the most sensitive adjustments! One degree goes a long way.

Stabilizes the car greatly. It makes the rear end 'stick'. The more toe-in you use, the more the rear of the car sticks. This is especially apparent going into and coming out of turns.

But more toe-in makes the difference between sticking and breaking loose bigger.

Large amounts of toe-in (2.5 ... 3 degrees) scrub off a little speed in the straights.

Rear Toe-out Rear toe-out is never used. It makes the rear of the car very, very unstable.

Front Toe-in Stabilizes the car in the straights, and coming out of turns.

It smoothes out the steering response, making the car easy to drive.

It can make the car turn a little more in the middle and exit parts of a turn.

Front Toe-out Increases turn-in steering a lot.

But can make the car wandery on the straights.

Never use more than 2 degrees of front toe-out!

Simple. Id put £1000 on changing any of the above settings not making a difference. I'm not sure what 'tarmac' tyres youve got, but its simply too cold to get any sort of 'handling' out of an over powered RC right now. You cant get heat in the tyres, so you get no grip regardless

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info guys a lot to tweak. The steering rate was about right, I had previously tried to set the car up lower at the front than rear to get a bit more steering. I should have said totally stock except for orange (firm) springs and it’s 4s lipo with the stock 16t pinion. The tyres where just some cheapo Fastrax hobbies from modelsport that I wanted to burn off but I couldn’t even get sideways to make a dent in them, temps over here in Northern Ireland are actually quite mild today, 11 degrees it got to. I’ll  work through the list of things to try. I have set up a few 2nd buggies over the years and got them driving reasonable for my level but a much heavier 4wd machine is a different kettle of fish it seems.

Bajadre I do love a bit of countersteer!! 

Edited by Craigyboy83
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Craigyboy83 said:

IIRC the rear has 3 degree of toe in inserts installed from factory, maybe I could drop this back to 2 degree. I have just set the front back to zero for for now as I had it at 2 degrees 

Was that 2 degrees toe in or toe out at the front? If it was toe in, that'll be why you've got so much understeer. I'd try zero or 0.5 degree toe out.