• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why do I have so much trouble soldering XT90's

Darren Frosty

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

I use a 40W Weller and quite like XT90s.  I have managed to melt the plastic on a Deans. 

Not as keen on EC5 but only because I tend to get solder on the outside of the bullet somehow which makes it a pain to put in the sleeve.

I find with EC5 i put the bullets in a drilled hole in a block of wood to hold them and doing solder is then simple and tidy, but i dont see me ever needing them again, not for crawlers

When soldering bullets, I always use the block of wood thing to hold them.

Even for occasional use, though, a decent soldering iron is so much nicer to use. I had a cheapo one, and everything about it was annoying. From a flex that wanted to 'curl' and make the iron roll over if I rested it on a stand though to wobbly tips and unpredicvtable heating times. I also have a big chunky Weller iron. The good iron is so much nicer to use. I solder better with it too as a result

I do them with a vintage Remploy 25w iron and only just get them done with a little patience. A higher wattage iron is a good idea for these. If I did them more often I’d invest in something from this century but it’s fine for 99% of the stuff I do.