• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Traxxas trx4m owners thread

Gaz!

Still no decision on this, but as it seems no other company making an F-150 i feel it will happen, or i wait and hope another firm do the model, in some ways i would prefer to get the 1/10th but i just dont get the black toy grade windows on the larger truck, they look so wrong to me and no way would i throw another £140 ish into a clear body

Decision made, not getting it, but i came very close to making the purchase, i found the expensive light kit was out of stock i would of wanted that then i found myself looking at the price of traxxas parts and frankly horrified at the cost, so i have ordered the new RGT/FTX pro runner 1/10 Bronco 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2024 at 15:27, Lone-wolf said:

Decision made, not getting it, but i came very close to making the purchase, i found the expensive light kit was out of stock i would of wanted that then i found myself looking at the price of traxxas parts and frankly horrified at the cost, so i have ordered the new RGT/FTX pro runner 1/10 Bronco 

Fella, that doesnt come as a surprise at all coming from yourself,  but, all the posts of “do i?” “Don't i?” Blur the thread of its usefulness for genuine owners or future buyers who use the thread for useful knowledge/tips etc.

don't get me wrong, debating a particular rc is always good and welcomed the whole “i hate Traxxas but secretly want one then im not going to buy it and go with something different” does wear thin after a while….

just my two penneth :good:

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 15:27, Lone-wolf said:

price of traxxas parts and frankly horrified at the cost,

Really! 

I've been very vocal about traxxas and my views on them however traxxas spares aren't that expensive and are well stocked pretty much everywhere, re releasing the same model time and time again kinda helps with that 😂

Their upgrades are very overpriced for what they are however there's countless companies offering 3rd parts, yes some of these parts are a bit halved baked but overall I think they are pretty good. 

• Like 2

Had the Trx4m bronco out today. 

For trail driving I think the stock gearing may be better. I'm going to give it a test soon. The lower ratio gears are definitely better for crawling. 

Quite a durable little truck. 

Ended up driving it through water, usually end up that way no matter how much I say I won't do it. 

• Like 3

On 17/03/2024 at 15:48, Alex97 said:

Really! 

I've been very vocal about traxxas and my views on them however traxxas spares aren't that expensive and are well stocked pretty much everywhere, re releasing the same model time and time again kinda helps with that 😂

Their upgrades are very overpriced for what they are however there's countless companies offering 3rd parts, yes some of these parts are a bit halved baked but overall I think they are pretty good. 

This will be last post from me in this thread, guys just take a look on Modelsport at genuine spares for the hi trail TRX4M let me quote....set of Traxxas shocks £40, pair of drive/prop shafts £40, Bodyshell painted £75, some of these parts are more expensive than similar parts for 1/10th models, yes i was on the verge of making the purchase till i found these price`s while trying to find a few bits like the light kit and crawler gear set, I only wanted this model for the highly detailed bodyshell it comes stock with, sadly Traxxas are the only company i know of making the F-150 in this level of scale detail

I just picked up a trx4m land rover today. I had been looking at tamiya kits as I want to build from scratch something I could customise. But I didn’t really want a road car. Then I saw these and the endless amount of hop ups available and thought that should scratch the itch! I’ve already ordered a bearing kit for it.

id like to jack it up and put bigger wheels on it but just wondered if I need anything else other than the obvious to do this?

Any other advice or suggestions are welcome

You'll be limited what you can do with that stock body as any bigger wheels will catch.

Edited by Alex97

2 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

You'll be limited what you can do with that stock body as any bigger wheels will catch.

Are there alternative bodies available for the stock chassis?

12 hours ago, TommyC said:

Are there alternative bodies available for the stock chassis?

There's two routes you can go with this-

-Stock style body for more of a scale rig, looks great however you'll be limited to the wheels size and amount of suspension travel you can have due to binding on the body. 

- Injora tarantula style cage where you aren't that limited to what you can run however you don't get the scale look. 

Personally I went for the cage style as that's what I prefer. 

• Like 3

@TommyC

There's a few body options. 

You can change from bronco to defender or vice versa, you swap over bumpers 

Injora do a wrangler copy body and this one... 

https://www.injora.com/products/injora-ir40-half-truck-body-with-cage-for-1-18-trx4m-defender-bronco

Which allows you to fit the large 70mm tyres. 

The tarantula chassis that @Alex97mentioned is a really good choice. I have one and rate it highly. 

• Like 2

As what @Alex97 and @steephill have already said basically, there is the Injora ir40 body available now too which looks great for under £30.

also if you have any bits from your build left over, id be happy to buy it off you mate :good:

for a quick lift and tyre fix, i would stick on a set of 59mm Injora alloy shocks, then you can get 62mm tyres (swamp claws i think) without too much fouling, offset wheels will help beef it up too along with wheel widening hexes but as already mentioned, you start to lose the “scale” appearance.

looking forward to seeing your progress :cheers:

• Like 3

Little update of the latest project,

IMG-2616.jpg

IMG-2617.jpg

Built from the ground up using Traxxas chassis rails, shock towers, gearbox skid, battery tray, axle casings. Upgrades are complete gearbox/gears, driveshafts, links (not the ones pictured), steel diff gears,  hubs and knuckles, bearings bumpers, wheels/tyres, shocks and probably more lol.

this is the last one im going to build for now (unless a 8x8 gets released :insane: then im all over it!!)

• Like 1

I’m not too fussed about keeping the scale appearance, but it would be nice to keep the defender body. The tarantula does look awesome though!

I took it for a little run this morning and it definitely needs some weight low down. Question is, can you over do it? If I go and replace everything with brass is that too heavy?

For now I’m thinking high clearance chassis links, skid plates, bigger tyres. Possibly also shock mount lift kits and wider axles or hub extensions. One thing I’m unsure about is shock sizing. I see 3 or 4 different lengths available?

Just now, TommyC said:

I’m not too fussed about keeping the scale appearance, but it would be nice to keep the defender body. The tarantula does look awesome though!

I took it for a little run this morning and it definitely needs some weight low down. Question is, can you over do it? If I go and replace everything with brass is that too heavy?

For now I’m thinking high clearance chassis links, skid plates, bigger tyres. Possibly also shock mount lift kits and wider axles or hub extensions. One thing I’m unsure about is shock sizing. I see 3 or 4 different lengths available?

Brass links and brass skid plate yes. 

Shock lift kits are pretty ridiculed over on the TX4M FB pages for doing nothing. If you plan on using the stock body then I'd stick with the stock shocks as any extra travel will cause rubbing so won't add any performance. 

At this stage I'd only be buying upgrades that could be transferred over to caged style build, currently you seem in two minds about it.

Brass hubs & diffs covers are a good option that can be carried across to pretty much any build. Brass 1.0" wheels are also a good idea as you can add bigger tires later on if you want so you don't end up buying things twice. Buying from Injora directly is way cheaper then from MS and usually arrives within 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

@TommyC I'd go for the Tarantula chassis from what you have said. You can use any shock length available for that chassis.

I use the 53mm long shocks on the tarantula chassis. I use for crawling so I want it as low as I can. 

I am in two minds. After spending ridiculous amounts of money on the maverick quantum and atom I recently bought my plan was to not go mad on this. I know if I buy the tarantula chassis I’ll end up with basically a whole new car😂

my idea was to go high but with lots of low down weight. Is that a bad idea?

5 minutes ago, TommyC said:

I am in two minds. After spending ridiculous amounts of money on the maverick quantum and atom I recently bought my plan was to not go mad on this. I know if I buy the tarantula chassis I’ll end up with basically a whole new car😂

my idea was to go high but with lots of low down weight. Is that a bad idea?

One contradicts the other 😂

Not exactly contradictory. Not in the way I’m bothered about about anyway. My reasoning is this.  Higher ride height gives more ground clearance and higher centre of gravity. More low down weight negates the higher centre of gravity but not the ground clearance.

Just be weary about the weight you add, it will strain the stock electrics if its mainly brass.

personally, steer clear of high clearance links, they leave the driveshaft U.J. Exposed and it getting hung up (ive done this, straight links are definitely the way to go.)

stock shocks are approx 53mm, the Injora alloy shocks at 53mm sit perfectly on the defender too, 59mm shocks will work to but raise the truck (something you wanted??). Use 20wt to 30wt oil for the shocks too.

if i were spending your money, go for alloy hubs/knuckles (less wear then brass), servo horn and steering link and suspension links.

then in brass, go for wheels (or bead lock rings), hexes. It will weigh in less overall but will be able to cope with the current electrics.

then learn how to drive it, yes they are a little top heavy (especially if its rammed with scale bits and bobs) but learning to master it is much more rewarding.

again, just my thoughts based on what ive built and the terrain i use them on, (this can differ massively too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if I want to raise it up a bit best thing to do is just shocks? Bigger tyres will give it a little more I suppose. Perhaps I should have bought the high trail!

3 hours ago, TommyC said:

So if I want to raise it up a bit best thing to do is just shocks? Bigger tyres will give it a little more I suppose. Perhaps I should have bought the high trail!

Yeah, longer shocks will lift the height of your truck. I think stock length on the Bronco and Defender are 53mm. Injora do 59mm shocks that are pretty good value about 20 quid. 

• Like 1

In essence, yes. 

I wanted to keep my defender as scale as possible so i went for the Injora 53mm shocks, with 55mm tyres, my lad on the other hand went for the 59mm shocks and he has managed to get 62mm tyres but it does rub at extreme axle flex. :good:

I can get you a pic of them to compare if thats any use??