• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommendations for a good all rounder?

Craigyboy83

. recently got back into the hobby after a long time away, my main toy has been an Arrma Granite that started brushed and was converted to brushless very quickly. To be honest while it’s been fun to own I don’t think it really suits what I like to do, It’s not that I don’t like a jump but the granite seems to be more interested in jumping and flipping etc. I would rather be ripping on grass or tarmac and hitting some jumps for distance and getting nice landings. But not really bashing hard. I have a Losi mini b which I love for my back yard track and that is the style of driving I enjoy most? I’ll be honest I’m completely lost by the choice out there and have been trawling sites for days looking for the perfect car. Im probably happy with something around the 4s mark but wouldn’t say no to 6s. I’m just after a multi surface machine that is stable and fun to drive on tarmac, grass and maybe some loose surfaces. The ARRMA Typhon tuned roller has caught my eye along with the ARRMA  fireteam though I don’t like the shell on it, it seems like a good all rounder. If anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Edited by Craigyboy83

Thanks guys I was actually just haveing a look at these on model sport. I do love a buggy, back in the day buggy’s were the main thing so they’re always my preference. How would a buggy like this handle wet grass of a shortish length, I have a massive expanse of grass to play on but in winter it’s a bit longer as it isn’t cut and usually wet but it’s great fun.

• Like 1

they should do reasonably well on grass

if you get the 100 A/4s version change the pinion to a 17 tooth m1 pinion as it comes with a 14 tooth pinion

they are pretty robust as well 

• Like 1

heres a vid or 2 of stormbringer my dads one and mine both going at same time up the local quarry.

pre covid the 100 amp 4s ones which we have used to be 325 quid but as with every thing the prices have been getting higher and higher so the one i linked is a bargain at the moment there are also 150 amp versions which do 6s 🙂

• Like 2

agree with the lads the hypers a great all rounder and built solid over an arrma tbh id throw in the Vorza but alot more expensive that the hypers and not sure how hpi part support is nowadays but i had alot of fun with mine but the price difference isnt enough to justify it over the hyper 👍

• Like 2

i have these wheels and tyres on my hyper vse and my hyper 7 'converted to leccy and my ishima nitro https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/nanda-racing-1-8th-nanda-block-tyres-on-dish-wheels-black-2--32603

they are super grippy and will rip up any grass but make sure you have a good supply off super glue to re glue they tyres 🙂

super grippy that you can roll a buggy on its back on wet grass lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bajadre said:

yeah Yrkoon thats what i had on my vorza great grip on med grass dig in awesome on dirt and loose gravel and wear really well unlike some other buggy treads 🤘

yup m8 the side part on  they tires go before the tread lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice lads the hyper might be just what I’m after then. I see they also do rolling chassis models, I have a Hobbywing max10sct combo that I could nearly use in one though the motor at 3200kv isn’t really ideal for that type of car. Maybe the 6s capable rtr would be the wiser choice. I have to say the ARRMA reliability didnt impress me as munch as I’d expected, In the month I’ve owned it I have had a motor burn out, a steering servio fail, main composite centre shaft break and and rear composite driveshaft come apart, hopefully the ho boa is a bit tougher

• Like 1

For a 1/8th rc you wanna be around 2200kv area craigy due to the weight the hobbywing max 8 is the sweet spot for that goes up to 6s will perform great on 4s 👍after my vorza i went the truggy route as we did alot of track bashing there more of a surgeons scalpel than a hammer haha 😂 the extra length of a truggy will benefit you on track work as a racer i struggled to get the vorza fast round a track where my truggy sticks like glue 👍pure bashing wise though id take the buggies alot stronger in most cases,the ho boa is a nice truggy also the losi 8t can be picked up cheap second hand too.

• Like 3

If you're still looking at the Hyper Make it Build it have some decent discounts on these for black friday. The roller is only £175 right now:

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-buggy-electric-roller-80-pre-assembled-5995

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Craigyboy83 said:

Thanks guys i ordered a hyper vs with the 150a ESC I’ll likley not run it much above 4s for a while but at least I can 6s it at some point

you wont be disappointed it is a beast  and almost unbreakable, oh the front hinge pin holders could do with upgrading, i think thats the only thing i broke on mine and you see the way i drive it, dad also broke the same part too lol

if i remember this is the part and replaces the stock plastic one https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobao-vs-vs2-cnc-aluminium-front-lower-arm-holder-fr-408830

no other breakages cept for a slight bend in the chassis with my nut job driving 🙂

edit: for future reference bud the max 10 esc/motors are for 10 scale models, the max 8 is what you want on a 8 scale and max 6 for 6 scale etc 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1