• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Trx4 Sport Kit arrived yesterday

Nesiah

have been recommended the following from a supplier

- Hobbywing AXE R2 Combo With 2100Kv FOC Motor
- Savox SW1210SG Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo - 32kg - 0.13s
- Absima R3WP 3 Channel 2.4Ghz Receiver (already have a absimi CR 3P radio)

And this lot from Modelsport

-Absima R3WP 2.4GHz Receiver
-Etronix 30.3kg/ 0.09s Standard Digital Servo, Metal Gear, High Voltage, Waterproof
- Hobbywing QuicRun Fusion FOC System (2in1) - 1800kv

Im super new and this is my first build, someone gave me some mip drivers years ago, so I have those. Is there anything else that I need to buy? 
Also what are your thoughts on the recommendations?  my budget is £300-£400

What are your thoughts please.

I've not used any of those specific servos you have listed but I do have a 32kg JX servo fitted on my TRX4 and seem to get by ok, so I suspect either of these ones.

For the ESC/Motor combo I'd possibly be tempted by the newer Quicrun Fusion Pro as I've read that this is a nice little improvement over the 1st generation ones. Looks to be about the same price as the 1st gen parts too:

Hobbywing QUICRUN Fusion Pro 2300kV Sensored Brushless 2in1 HW30120402 (modelsport.co.uk)

I think the recommendations are fine for the most part - i wouldn't take that radio, mainly because you with a TRX4 sport you could always decide that you want the 2speed gearbox or locking diffs, at which point you don't have the channels to do so. 

In regards to ESC/motor, the Fusion is more convenient, but it appears that it can have coil whine - i personally like the Axe R2 better. Quieter, and the option to monitor/program via phone (bluetooth capable out of the box). 

Edited by m4inbrain

30kg extronix servo is a waste of money and will likely burn out, every one i have bought has died on 6v, please avoid.
PowerHD has never died on me, reccommend 30kg hv one of those instead of etronix.
The fusion is also not ideal imo as its a combined unit and the esc / bec is built in so when it pops you have to replace everything (they are not as reliable and not repairable)
The r2 axe 550 3300kv combo is going to be your best option imo, loads of speed and power allowing gearing down and volting up (stronger bec also).

As above no problems using Power HD servos but have chewed through a Etronix. I wouldn’t write off a brushed motor and a HW1080 if you fancy submerging the TRX4. I would also fit the low pinon and spur set - 45/9 -  you might  be surprised how quick a TRX4 is!

https://servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=HDLW20MG&area=SERVO

You don't need a brushed setup to submerge a TRX. Not that i really would understand why you'd do that, but in general, brushless setups are as waterproof (more, actually, since you don't need to care for the thin metal brushes - and the R2 is completely sealed) as brushed setups. The Axe R2 doesn't need the fan on a crawler, in mine it barely reaches 32 degrees on both motor and ESC (after 2 hours of stiff going on a rocky beach). 

If we're going with cheap servos, my vote would be for Power HD and JX as well. Had a 46kg JX servo in the TRX4 before the new one (Power HD S35 Storm), probably will go back in. Bit of slop, but that's okay where i'm driving.

Edited by m4inbrain

To make my own suggestion for electronics.

A Power HD 35kg servo (waterproof). 

Dumborc X6 6channel radio. 

Axe R2, as far as the motor is concerned, it depends on what your plan is - whether or not it's a trail rig, or a proper crawler. I can tell you that out of the box, the Sport is geared too high for even the R2 2800kv (i should know, that's what i'm running and i've built a Sport 6 weeks ago). 

Mine is set to full crawling (the Sport is replacing my actual TRX4), so i'm running 11/45 (on the full TRX4, that's the lower of the two gears) - with the 2800kv motor it still is pretty peppy, but loads of low speed control. On 3s, that is.

I'd also get the optional diff locks. Wouldn't necessarily bother with the two speed, only adds slop (better to have two rigs, one for crawling and one for trailing), but the diff locks make crawling a lot nicer. 

edit: as for what else you need, of course you need a battery and charger, in regards to tools, nothing really. Most of what you need comes with the Kit in the first place. Apart from that, you're golden. 

edit2: and if you, like me, live at the coast, get the stainless steel hardware kit too. It's expensive, but it'll pay itself off quickly, judging by the state of my first TRX4. compared to the state of my current Sport with stainless hardware. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1