• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help a Newbie - £300 Budget

RC_Shaun

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking at getting in to the hobby for a while now but I’m a little stuck so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like a decent beginner set up for outdoor  on road drifting. So far I have decided on the following…

• Tamiya tt02D chassis 
  • Dumbo x6 controller

I really want to build my own kit as well ideally

Thats as far as I’ve gotten as I’ve no idea regarding Gyro’s, ESC, Batteries, charger. I have a top budget of £300 so if anyone could compile a little shopping list with what they’d spend the budget on that would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Shaun.

Edited by RC_Shaun

12 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I would say you can do better than a TT02 with £300 budget

Oh really?

What would you suggest instead of the tt02D? I chose that because of the vast array of hop up parts and how readily available replacement parts are and it gets pretty good reviews for beginners.

32 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

This is RTR just get some drift wheels/tyres

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/kyosho-fazer-mk2-nissan-skyline-gtr-kpgc10-1-10-readyset-1342277

cant see it working out much more than a stock TT02D once you have bought stuff like radio and battery and charger

That’s a good looking kit. Are the parts readily available for the Kyosho like they are for the Tamiya?

23 minutes ago, Tron1000 said:

Get yourself a Maverick Quantum R Flux. For about £270, you get a 4s car that will hit 60mph plus. It's also a mint tyre shredding drift car. Ok it's an infraction clone.

Not really what I’m looking for tbh. Speed isn’t really top of my list as I’m wanting to drift so stability and accessible parts upgrades are priority.

12 minutes ago, Redback said:

if your wanting a cheap drift with lots of spares, ftx banzia might be up your ally, can get a 2nd hand one for about 70£ they are £100 rtr, can probably go brushless for another 100 to get more drift time. still 100 to put into lipo and charger / gyro.

I was looking for a kit I can build tbh not a rtr 

Edited by RC_Shaun

5 minutes ago, RC_Shaun said:

I was looking for a kit I can build tbh not a rtr 

You didnt mention that, you can always pull it apart and rebuild it. Worth doing with a Ready To Repair anyway.

As for gyro, you can get a radio link rc4gs with 2 receivers one with inbuilt gyro and tuning of gyro from the remote for about the same price as the dumbo irrc.

1 minute ago, Redback said:

You didnt mention that, you can always pull it apart and rebuild it. Worth doing with a Ready To Repair anyway.

As for gyro, you can get a radio link rc4gs with 2 receivers one with inbuilt gyro and tuning of gyro from the remote for about the same price as the dumbo irrc.

Tbh I was under the impression it was obvious when I wrote my initial post when I listed a chassis kit and controller and not rtr kits, sorry my bad.

Looking in to the Kyosho Fazer it seems the parts aren’t as readily available as the Tamiya parts. The sites I’ve looked on a lot of the parts are dealer back order so I could be waiting May be 2 weeks for parts if I break something.

ftx parts are usally readily available, they are also fairly robust vs tamiya plastics irrc, yes both have alloy hopups, most brands do, but really the plastics wont break at the slow speeds you drift at.
if you want to built a 1/10th looks like your choice is tamiya or what ever anyone else recommends

• Thanks 1

I know next to nothing about drifting so I wouldn’t take this as an actual recommendation but have you thought about looking at second hand kit? This popped up when I was looking in Facebook marketplace tonight and looks like a lot of kit for the money (assuming at least some of it is decent stuff in working order)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3215787872027736/

5 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I know next to nothing about drifting so I wouldn’t take this as an actual recommendation but have you thought about looking at second hand kit? This popped up when I was looking in Facebook marketplace tonight and looks like a lot of kit for the money (assuming at least some of it is decent stuff in working order)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3215787872027736/

I have but I want to build my own from scratch with new parts

• Like 1

The issue is rather, how many supposedly higher end items actually contain the same cheap components as the budget items.

Reviews online can be a bit hit and miss, unless you know the person reviewing. Far too often stuff gets 'good' reviews from bad sources, or from received wisdom.  I put mor efaith in good reviews from people who bought and use the item in question.

When it comes to 'quality' ... I would trust brands like Futaba or Sanwa, but the costs are high. Most of the rest of the field are all coming from the same sources and a lot use the same internals with minor alterations, and there wont be much difference quality wise between them. Some even bump up prices from £30ish to £50ish to make their offerings look better.  If you are buying at this end of hte market...results are all that matters. If it works well, responds OK, and gives you reliable handling...the name matters not one bit.

• Like 2