• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Silver can budget rally build off

Cuiken

On 19/08/2022 at 22:11, tomr said:

If you can find  good spot for them I think it’s hard to beat a good rally session…for me anyway 😎

Spot on IMHO. I love my crawler and my 6S Arrma MoKrazy (Kraton with Mojave amrs and a typhon body) but there's something a bit magic about running a 1/10th rally car on the right surface.

On 19/08/2022 at 19:56, Shergar said:

What @Kpowell911 said! I took a TT02 and a Traxxas TRX4 out this afternoon, and I left the rallycar in the boot.

Anyway heres my silver can Rallycar, complete with highly accurate* £15 Mustang ebay shell, the stickers are hiding the terrible drift stripes, a £200 candidate for sure!

0802BDA6-A8A0-4D18-9808-EFDB0852146F.thumb.jpeg.39fab879680e92a01f1261bd136214c3.jpeg

7D158E4F-5307-4CCA-AD3D-9EF94FF33E46.thumb.jpeg.ba5cc02af1fb20966800d58c584cbacc.jpeg

Ground clearance with 55mm CVA shocks and rally set up standard hubs isn’t  that terrible as seen below:

52FF8438-4C6E-46E1-8740-204184ED66EF.thumb.jpeg.9bfe35de1b65141a2a5b1c0990f6e6a4.jpeg

That TT02 looks great. How'd you bodge the rear bumper onto it? I fitted a rear bumper to my PTG-2 and it's really protected the car when it cartwheels. Wheels/tyres look awesome too.

Ground clearance looks just a hair low for my taste. Did you have to do any trimming to get that or is there still scope to raise it a bit?

On a another note, all this researching of rally chassis has left me slightly obsessed with the TA03 chassis. Maybe a plan for next spring 🙂 

• Like 1

@Cuiken The rear bumper is just another front bumper mount, I did the usual stanley knife nibbling on the standard suspension parts to give more clearance. I guess you could add the longer length shock ends ? 

I remembered  I added Yeah racing CVD’s, but you need the matching shafts for the opposite end if the CVD - Tamiya ones won’t fit! They give you plenty of much needed steering lock.

https://www.clevelandmodels.co.uk/product/tt02-015-yeah-racing-steel-univeral-driveshafts-tamiya-tt-02/

https://www.clevelandmodels.co.uk/product/tt02-017-yeah-racing-steel-front-rear-gearbox-joints-tamiya-tt-02/

Not that I'm obsessive or anything but...... maybe a TA02 build on the side might be fun too? I have a hankering to build something to use with a Datsun 240Z shell.

Anyone got any thoughts on a stock TA02 vs a stock-ish TT02? I'd only be running a silver can or sport tuned so it wouldn't be getting too badly abused.

I guess the TT02 probably makes more sense (more modern, better parts support) but the TA02 was around when I was a kid and I thought it looked magic. With the TA02 Calibra kit still available I guess there's a window to own one.

Edited by Cuiken
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tomr said:

Never owned a TA02 mate  but I have just finished building an XV01 chassis and have a brand new silver can and pinion for ya budget build if they’re any good to ya foc? 

FD55CF2E-71A1-492B-83DA-3B7141A0ED70.thumb.jpeg.48dee84a5f154aa5f84aab8038b821f1.jpeg

It's such a great looking chassis, what body are you planning to use?

Thanks for the offer of motor and pinion but my used XV01 came with both and I have spares from my own previous XV-01 build 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cuiken said:

It's such a great looking chassis, what body are you planning to use?

Thanks for the offer of motor and pinion but my used XV01 came with both and I have spares from my own previous XV-01 build 🙂 

Lancia Delta body was included(my all time favourite) so I’ll paint that up but I think I’m be  ordering a Fiat 131 or Toyota Celica body very soon .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomr said:

Lancia Delta body was included(my all time favourite) so I’ll paint that up but I think I’m be  ordering a Fiat 131 or Toyota Celica body very soon .

I love that shell. Here's the one I did for my original XV01. I decided to dodge the traditional martini livery and go for a solid colour with minmal decals. The por thing has ended up being totally hammered and has lost a lot of paint now. Still looks good from a distance though 🙂 

F5KhBl3.png

• Like 3

That photo remineded me that I'm still runing those tyres and wheels after more than a year. Made me think,  I've run my XV01 with a ~4000kv motor for over a year now and, somehow, the tyres are still holding on (just). On a similarly powered motor the PTG-2 has completely destroyed the same type of tyres in a couple of outings.

If I were to guess I'd say it's because the XV01 actually goes round corners while the PTG2 slides round corners.

Both are fun, just very different to drive.

6 hours ago, Cuiken said:

That photo remineded me that I'm still runing those tyres and wheels after more than a year. Made me think,  I've run my XV01 with a ~4000kv motor for over a year now and, somehow, the tyres are still holding on (just). On a similarly powered motor the PTG-2 has completely destroyed the same type of tyres in a couple of outings.

If I were to guess I'd say it's because the XV01 actually goes round corners while the PTG2 slides round corners.

Both are fun, just very different to drive.

Looks fantastic in red! I really like the look of that, definitely need a red rally body next I reckon.

The black grill is a nice touch 👍🏻

I’ve just started cutting the decals out so will be next week before the body’s finished but I’m busting to get out with the XV01 I’ve heard so many people say how well they drive .

• Like 1

I mentioned i might just sell my strada RX but despite it only having one run of road i can see it ending up going for like half or less than i paid for it, so i will keep it as its fun on tarmac, i have refitted the 17T pinion as the motor was getting hot with the 19T i put in

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomr said:

Looks fantastic in red! I really like the look of that, definitely need a red rally body next I reckon.

The black grill is a nice touch 👍🏻

I’ve just started cutting the decals out so will be next week before the body’s finished but I’m busting to get out with the XV01 I’ve heard so many people say how well they drive .

What your gonna paint a car red faint swoon :rofl:

• Haha 1

On 23/08/2022 at 16:23, Cuiken said:

Not that I'm obsessive or anything but...... maybe a TA02 build on the side might be fun too? I have a hankering to build something to use with a Datsun 240Z shell.

Anyone got any thoughts on a stock TA02 vs a stock-ish TT02? I'd only be running a silver can or sport tuned so it wouldn't be getting too badly abused.

I guess the TT02 probably makes more sense (more modern, better parts support) but the TA02 was around when I was a kid and I thought it looked magic. With the TA02 Calibra kit still available I guess there's a window to own one.

Running silver can a TA02 (with bearings) would be fine Im sure. 

TA02 Repsol Cosworths FTW!

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I mentioned i might just sell my strada RX but despite it only having one run of road i can see it ending up going for like half or less than i paid for it, so i will keep it as its fun on tarmac, i have refitted the 17T pinion as the motor was getting hot with the 19T i put in

Best thing to do mate. Youll lose a fortune if you keep buying new and selling after a few runs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Updates on this project.

Here's the car with a set of rally wheels/tryes added:

QZJa7OC.png

The body is quite wide so the slightly extreme offset of these wheels works well. 

I gave it a once over, added oil to the diffs (previous owner was running them with just a bit of grease) and swapped the shock ends to long eyelet ones left over from my XV01 build.

Took it out. for a drive and wow, this thing is slow 😂. I guess there's a reason we all moved over to brushless setups years ago. Couple of observations on this though:

1.  It's running at a more appropriate scale speed so the chassis actually gets a chance to work (rather than just constantly drifting across the surface as the wheels spin).

2. You can actually drive the car where you intend. It's not thrown around by the road surface.

3. Once you get used to the above and modify your driving style, it's quite good fun.

Further observations on the car itself.

1. I think the motor is b*ggered. Very noisy. It's a torque tuned one but when I swapped it for a standard silver can the car was quieter and faster. 

2. I think the battery is also on its last legs. I got multiple random LVCs when accelerating and it only lasts 10 minutes.

3. The shocks/springs are just too stiff. Even at low speeds, the car bounces everywhere. Nothing like the plush handling of my XV01 on stock shocks.

Regards 1 and 2 above, the seller is sending a new motor and a partial refund for the battery so no complaints there. I've ordered a 'stick' lipo that should turn up tomorrow if I'm lucky.  Hopefully that will give a longer drive time and a bit more punch. If there is still an issue, I guess it could be the HW1060 ESC but I gather they are often used for 1/10th scale rally/touring cars so I don't see it as being the issue?

Further to the XV01, I noticed a listing on eBay for a used TL01 car. When I checked the pictures though, it was a TA03F boxed with original instructions. I couldn't resist and got it for £70 all in.  Very excited to try it out.

Looks great 👍🏻 love the deep dish wheels .

Hope mine is gunna be quick enough? I’ve gone with a cheap 15t brushed motor and a 25t pinion

I did the same thing and fitted the longer shock ends for a bit extra ground clearance, had to mod them slightly to allow the chassis to bottom out.

• Like 1

Beautiful job!

For a straight up rally car there is nothing that looks better (IMHO) than the Lancia.

I reckon it'll be pretty rapid on a 15T motor (especially with a 25T pinion). I believe the sliver can is 25T and I'm only running the stock 22T pinion so far. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Cuiken

12 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Beautiful job!

For a straight up rally car there is nothing that looks better (IMHO) than the Lancia.

I reckon it'll be pretty rapid on a 15T motor (especially with a 25T pinion). I believe the sliver can is 25T and I'm only running the stock 22T pinion so far. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks mate 👍🏻 It’s not perfect but I’m more than happy with the way it looks. There’s wasn’t many rally cars from  the 70’s-90’s that I didn’t like but I’m with you on the Delta’s looks.

I’ll hopefully have some pics and probably a video of  the shakedown run as soon as I get the chance.

In the meantime I may be joining in with a budget rally build, just need to price a few things up and have a good dig through my spares boxes ,I need to see what I’ve got to cheat the budget with 😁

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

I’m currently torn between trying to be patient and seeing if I can find a decent second hand car (preferably an XV-01) from somewhere or giving in and starting to buy a bunch of new parts for a clean build. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I’m currently torn between trying to be patient and seeing if I can find a decent second hand car (preferably an XV-01) from somewhere or giving in and starting to buy a bunch of new parts for a clean build. 

I noticed a couple of of XV01’s on eBay, one looks like a fixer upper that might go cheap -ish the other will probs go for good money 

• Like 2

Pretty sure they are already on my watch list, I’m just not doing well with the waiting part. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1