• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Silver can budget rally build off

Cuiken

Me and a mate have decided on a winter project to pull together a budget (or relatively budget) rally build-off. Few rules:

1. As far below £200 total build as possible.

2. Has to run a silver can brushed motor (as Tamiya intended). ~5000kv brushless are great fun an all but this is an attempt to keep things a bit more scale. Also, racing is more fun when the cars aren't close to hitting the 'scale speed of sound barrier'. Best racing I ever had was when me an a bunch of colleagues raced those old Nikko 1/14th scale rally cars int he work car park after hours. You actually have to be able to drive.

3. No Gyro.

4. Proper 1/10th scale so Tamiya sort of size (not Traxxas Rally).

5. Brand new build or second hand bargain, whatever works.

6. Probably a bit unfair but you can raid your own parts bin. That's certianly where I'm planning to find my motor and ESC.

Feel free to join in with this or throw in your thoughts. My initial thinking is:

1. Second hand XV01 if I can find one.  Not particularly original but it's such a great chassis. Might be tricky to come in on budget is all.

2. One of the higher spec TT02 chassis (Type S or even Type SR). Looking at the SR, it's so hopped up it's half way to being an XV02. Just needs a ferw mods for ride height.

3. I'd love a PTG-2 but I don't reckon any will turn up in budget.

4. Which touring chassis could be most succesfully rallied? TA02 (or any other TA for that matter)?

5. Do any buggies fit under a 1/10th rally shell?

6. HPI RS4 creator edition?

These will be raced and crashed so something for which parts are still available is pretty key.

Keen to hear thoughts.

• Like 3

Sounds like a fun game.

I’m half tempted to try and join in as this may be a cheaper way to scratch the rally car itch than jumping straight into a “proper” PTG-2 build. 

• Like 2

I'd consider a maverick strada or FTX banzai, crap body shells but they include shocks, links, bearings etc.

This LRP looks like the next evolution of the HSP family of cars but its not out yet.

https://www.lrp.cc/en/product/antix-by-lrp-s10-blast-tc-3-clubracer-non-rtr-no-wheels-and-body-110-4wd-electric-touring-car/

• Like 2

Hm, this isn't working out to be quite as easy as I thought.

I think I've found a few options for viable, sub £200, builds based on nearly all new parts but I might have to make some compromises on the ESC and Rx/Tx combo and reuse some take off parts I already have (which memory says aren't the best quality out there). Going to need to search for some other corners to cut if I want to be able to use my normal radio gear.

Mostly been looking at the Tamiya TT-02 D/S variants and the HPI RS4 Creators edition as a base with a rag-tag selection of bits to bolt onto them. Paint will likely be limited to whatever I've got left over from previous builds which could be interesting.

Are you including radio gear and batteries in the £200 total? I'm guessing with the parts bin freebies that you've allowed yourselves these aren't really a factor in your builds?

Another option i was considering was the FTX Bansai, this can be purchased sub £100 if you know where to look, stick some 1/10 rally type tyres on and lose the shell then fit HPI scooby shell so including a can of blue paint this would come in at about £155 part of me thinks this would of been better than the strada RX as no other body option for the strada

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Hm, this isn't working out to be quite as easy as I thought.

I think I've found a few options for viable, sub £200, builds based on nearly all new parts but I might have to make some compromises on the ESC and Rx/Tx combo and reuse some take off parts I already have (which memory says aren't the best quality out there). Going to need to search for some other corners to cut if I want to be able to use my normal radio gear.

Mostly been looking at the Tamiya TT-02 D/S variants and the HPI RS4 Creators edition as a base with a rag-tag selection of bits to bolt onto them. Paint will likely be limited to whatever I've got left over from previous builds which could be interesting.

Are you including radio gear and batteries in the £200 total? I'm guessing with the parts bin freebies that you've allowed yourselves these aren't really a factor in your builds?

I'm loving the level of thought you've given this. Just what I was hoping would happen 🙂

Clarification on rules:

I wasn't planning to include TX or batteries in the total budget. Somewhat arbrtraily I was planning to include th RX in my own budget since I don't seem to have a spare on in my parts bin.

Body and paint definitely included in the budget.

Clearly the concept favours anyone with a fully stocked parts bin. What can I say, it's much like formula one, the established teams have an advantage 🙂 . That said, if you have a whole chassis in the parts bin I think it's only fair to attach a value to it and subtract from your budget.

I'm planning to lean really heavily on the second hand market for anything I can find.

Only really fixed point is the scale (must be Tamiya 1/10th sort of size) and the motor (silver can or equivalent). 

I need to take a look at those FTX options. I'm also really drawn to trying to do something with an old Tamiya TA03 or even TL01.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I'd not thought of the banzai, it's dimensions are spot on. Not having seen one I don't know how easy it would be to raise the ride height (which it looks like it might need for rallying) but, assuming that is doable, longer shocks and you're there!

Strada Rally looks like a nice car but the width is a bit outside of spec (250mm rather than ~200mm). I don't mean to be heavy handed but I might need to exclude it as an option. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules. Oh wait, I did 🙂

HPI body shells or killerbody clear shells do fit into the scale category and are a bit cheaper at least. I have a real hankeing to do a Tamiya porsche shell but I doubt it'll be possible in budget.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

The bodyshell is a massive part of the budget, especially looking scale/being a Tamiya. 

Spec series style I think @Jack Reacher’s Strada idea has legs

Strada RX is a good choice but as the OP stated the shell is large, and hard to find another shell so may not fit the class, good car though

Okay, I may have a chassis. Comes with silver can and HW1060 ESC, TX/RX and a slightly tatty body. Has a few nice hop ups and a box of parts too. I'm not prepared to reveal yet 🙂

It's right on the budget limit though. So, making the rules up as I go along, I'm going to sell the TX/RX (and salvage an RX from another car) and recoup the sale price from the budget. This should give me breathing space for a couple of replacement parts if needed.

It's also a high miler so will require a full rebuild (that's what winter evenings are for right?).

Biggest problem on the car is the shocks they are definietly suited to TC stuff rather than Rally. I gather there are a few parts in the spares bin that comes with the car but I suspect it's going to get a bit bodgy if I'm to stay in budget 🙂 

• Like 3

So, I have bitten on an XV01 chassis! Arrived this morning.

Quite 'high miles' but comes with a load of useful hop ups, HW1060, silver can motror, a decent servo and good wheels/tyres. Also comes with a radio gear that I'll sell on. If I get a decent price for the radio then I'll have ~£40 left in my budget. I reckon I should be able to build up a set of mini CVA shocks to replace the short ones that are on it. No budget left for the long damper shock towers or sway bars though so still considering whether this is actually a good plan.

I'm a bit dissapointed in some ways (it's the obvious answer and not very exotic) but it will be a great car and, I think, I'll be able to come in under budget (just) with something quite drivable.

Body shell is a bland version of a bland car so I may de-decal and add some external paint (from the parts bin) just to give it some personality.

Looking forward to getting to work on it.

• Like 2

I found a pretty much complete (though brushless) XV-01 on facebook that would have been in budget (even included a decent TX and battery) but I'm going to have to pass on it as it's a bit to far to drive over and pick up (240 mile round trip) and the seller doesn't want to post/use paypal. 😭

• Sad 1

TBH, I was hoping to find somethingt other than an XV01. They are very good though and, within budget, probably the best Rally car you can get (dive in if you tyhink this is controversial). I suspect it will be particularly good when limited to a silver can motor. Just about the right power (almost as is Tamiya know what they are doing).

34 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I found a pretty much complete (though brushless) XV-01 on facebook that would have been in budget (even included a decent TX and battery) but I'm going to have to pass on it as it's a bit to far to drive over and pick up (240 mile round trip) and the seller doesn't want to post/use paypal. 😭

Another will come up soon enough I reckon.

Looking mine over, it's really pretty good aside from the shocks. They are way stiffer than I want. Tried the spare springs left over from my PTG2 build but their diameter is too large. 

I need to sell the radio and then figure out my next move.

• Like 2

I have had a run in woodlands with my Strada RX brushed and getting the feeling its not for me, i am a rock crawler/trail guy and did not enjoy the Strada, then picking faults with it as a result, so might call it a day with the rally cars, also i want to sell 3 slightly older crawlers that are not getting much use and get a top end crawler that will get used

30 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have had a run in woodlands with my Strada RX brushed and getting the feeling its not for me, i am a rock crawler/trail guy and did not enjoy the Strada, then picking faults with it as a result, so might call it a day with the rally cars, also i want to sell 3 slightly older crawlers that are not getting much use and get a top end crawler that will get used

Just sell up and get a used TRX4. Seriously lol!

• Like 2

What @Kpowell911 said! I took a TT02 and a Traxxas TRX4 out this afternoon, and I left the rallycar in the boot.

Anyway heres my silver can Rallycar, complete with highly accurate* £15 Mustang ebay shell, the stickers are hiding the terrible drift stripes, a £200 candidate for sure!

0802BDA6-A8A0-4D18-9808-EFDB0852146F.thumb.jpeg.39fab879680e92a01f1261bd136214c3.jpeg

7D158E4F-5307-4CCA-AD3D-9EF94FF33E46.thumb.jpeg.ba5cc02af1fb20966800d58c584cbacc.jpeg

Ground clearance with 55mm CVA shocks and rally set up standard hubs isn’t  that terrible as seen below:

52FF8438-4C6E-46E1-8740-204184ED66EF.thumb.jpeg.9bfe35de1b65141a2a5b1c0990f6e6a4.jpeg

• Like 3

Spec above a standard TT02 is:

TT02 main drift (grey) parts

Hard tub chassis 

CVA dampers 

Chinese tyres

RC bearings

savox servo

LRP reverse runner esc (with a big fat fingers switch soldered on!)

Shiny propshaft

GPM Adjustable steering arms

GPM Adjustable servo arm - this is the single best thing on setting the servo up square !

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 3