• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

liIon cold weather storage temperatures

Nerocircus

Hi all

still relatively new to all this so trying to figure things out and I have a couple questions. 

First, am I right in thinking that LiIon batts are less volatile than LiPo? Our FTX tracers use a 2s 1500mah pack. I've read so much stuff about LiPos going boom and it's got me freaked.  I'm currently treating my LiIons the same way but not sure if Im being over cautious?

I charge them outside, in a lipo bag within an ammo box. I then pop this into an enclosure of breeze blocks for the walls and floor tile for the top.   I dont have a garage, so this is just out on the decking. It stands on a floor tile too.  Is this reasonable or excessive? Im storing them the same way.

What temperature will this storage become a concern?  I've popped a max/min temp in the ammo can tonight to see what it drops down to in there, but it was sugesting 5 deg C earlier on when I checked and it's only 7.30 so probably will drop more? Im in the UK. 

I was storing them inside the open fire place in the ammo tin prior to this but was finding it hard to sleep with everything Ive read haha Think i've bamboozled myself. 

Not as much info on the LiIon packs as LiPo so thought I'd err on side of caution and treat them the same. 

Oh, one more silly question no doubt.  Should I be keeping the batteries in separate LiPo bags or is it ok to pop a few into the one? This is what I've been doing but trying to keep the connections away from each other. 

Thanks all

My lipos all live in the house, in the trucks, in lipos sacks, on the side, in Jiffy bags, on top of the pc etc. etc.

Dead ones go in the back garden.

My understanding is that they only let the dragons breath out while on charge, in use or if damaged (the same as any other chemistry). Before being bought they are stored in warehouses in bubble wrap in cardboard boxes. 

I do have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen between me and most of them though just to be safe.

My two pennies worth 🙂 

Well this is it, isn’t it? Find these batteries in lots of other things in the house which hasn’t previously posed any real worry. Just with having read and watched various videos of then going up, and think about the consequences of that in the house. 

may revert to storing in the fire place in ammo tin, and then charging outside. 

14 hours ago, Nerocircus said:

Well this is it, isn’t it? Find these batteries in lots of other things in the house which hasn’t previously posed any real worry. Just with having read and watched various videos of then going up, and think about the consequences of that in the house. 

may revert to storing in the fire place in ammo tin, and then charging outside. 

And how many of them videos didn't include a plank with a hammer and nail, Store mine in the shed in there boxes, Gets well cold, Never had one go up in flames or seen one go up in flames, Been using and abusing for years and I feel like I'm missing out.

If it makes you feel better charging them like that then go for it, But you get more house fires from washing machines and fridges and we don't have them out side wrapped in a fire blanket.

I think a  battery probably has a harder time if left outside and will see large temperature fluctuations which might be more detrimental than storing inside in as safe place as you can,

I have 3 x ammo tins (seals removed) sat on tiles.  Each tin then has up to 3 LIPO bags with a couple of LIPOs per bag.

I keep my lipo batteries inside the house inside a bat safe box, i generally charge them inside the house as well within the bat safe. i normally give them a visual once over when i finish using them. Never had a problem so far

I totally get you having a cautious approach to storing and using them though. i would say try to avoid storing them outside during the winter months, but in saying that most garages where people store batteries are not particularly warm either so i cant imagine there would be a huge difference.