• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Infraction V2 drag build

GMballistic

ah okay, thanks for that. I only ask as I have both and not sure which to use on the VSE. Currently I have a set of Katars on it, but am struggling for traction. This is more down to the damp road conditions I think, but not certain.

good luck with the Hoons regardless 👍🏻

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Does the world of scale drag racing add additives or pre-heat the tyres?  

It's a mixture and varies between drag racing groups, leagues, states in America etc etc.  
There is "no prep" drag racing which to some people means the road surface is unprepped so no rubber down, no sweeping, no tyre additives etc but like I said that varies as some groups/leagues doing "no prep" allow their racers to use tyre additive on their RC's before they run but they must do a burn out before they run. 

"Prep" drag runs again vary but for the majority that means they're allowed to use tyre additives to gain extra traction and the tracks are usually always pre-prepped. 

Whether "no prep" or "prep" running though it seems you're allowed to heat the tyres up before running by doing a burnout so most seem to just hold the RC spinning the tyres up on the tarmac or a piece of carpet. Not seen anyone using actual tyre warmers but I bet some do. :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

Don't forget about GRP R1's they are the softest compound..!!

When I ran them in the summer they turned to a soft sticky mess after two/three runs 🤣🤣🤣

Never thought about trying those as they are a "Rain" tyre. 

Could be just the ticket for drag runs though if they are that soft and sticky. Thanks might try those in the future. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I ended up buying a selection of spur gears from aliexpress, they're very much the same as Saga pinion gears but a whole heap cheaper..!!

I'll see if I can find the seller for you..👍🏼

Always good to have options. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Looking great :good:

Will you be fitting a wheely bar to it ?

Yep got one on the way from China.  :lol: 
I don't even think it needs it at the moment but just thought it would be fun to go the full hog making it look like a drag car/truck. 

The wheelie bar I bought is for a Traxxas Slash 2WD and doesn't come with any mounts so I'm going to modify it to fit. Might even need to widen it to make it more suitable for the larger scale of the Infraction. 

1 minute ago, Redback said:

Looks awesome! Like the polished soft edges, clean job!

Thanks.
Really easy to do, ...just hand filed the edges to put a chamfer on them, then sanded round with 320 to 800 wet & dry sand paper. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Finished making today a carbon fibre "drag style" spoiler for my Infraction. 

1599521993_41Homemadecarbonfibredragspoiler.thumb.jpg.99b5aab73412c557fb104952c489b4d8.jpg

42.thumb.jpg.a2162ac81ec2c70b7575ce45dfaaa5b7.jpg

44.thumb.jpg.60cbe9700f286cebae21f506dd1a10ae.jpg

45.thumb.jpg.d6f8a26571af7887e6688c5346534233.jpg

No idea whether it will be beneficial to have it or not but TBH I just made it purely for the look. 😎

The wing looks awesome and well made, did you make the ally brackets ? 👍🏼 

I did the same style with my pink Chevy the one earlier on in this thread, mine is made from thick Lexan (no flex) and I sort of copied the pro street look..!!

Only problem with mine is it's pants and didn't work for 💩💩,tried the car with a stock flat Outcast wing and it was 100% better.

I think the issue with mine was that the body wasn't rigid enough and the wing flexed downwards, if you can mount it from the chassis I believe that is the way to go..

Hopefully yours works better than mine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GMballistic said:

42.thumb.jpg.a2162ac81ec2c70b7575ce45dfaaa5b7.jpgmade it purely for the look. 

does look decent, nice job!

where to do you get your carbon sheet from, or is it carbon effect? Quite effective if it is!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

The wing looks awesome and well made, did you make the ally brackets ? 👍🏼 

I did the same style with my pink Chevy the one earlier on in this thread, mine is made from thick Lexan (no flex) and I sort of copied the pro street look..!!

Only problem with mine is it's pants and didn't work for 💩💩,tried the car with a stock flat Outcast wing and it was 100% better.

I think the issue with mine was that the body wasn't rigid enough and the wing flexed downwards, if you can mount it from the chassis I believe that is the way to go..

Hopefully yours works better than mine.

The aluminium brackets I modified/cut to work and I had bought them way back in 2019 from a seller called Blacksmiths Products on eBay but he hasn't had them since then. You could always use some 90degree aluminium plate though instead.

Not to bothered about whether it works or not just did it more for the looks, ...if it is detrimental then I'll take it off. :good:

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

does look decent, nice job!

where to do you get your carbon sheet from, or is it carbon effect? Quite effective if it is!

I buy my carbon fibre plate from eBay usually this seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403023054815?hash=item5dd60bc7df%3Ag%3AD9EAAOSwHXRg~2yU&var=673201254133&fbclid=IwAR3bI3fnF66vq3BNJvBRrSfEKtCkyG2HRltNJBM549T8fOsnpx0ScLIGXN4

Probably cost you £100 to buy a spoiler like that from a manufacturer so I always think it's worth making your own if you can. 😏

2 hours ago, GMballistic said:

it's worth making your own if you can. 

I’m even more impressed now! I looked into getting some carbon sheet a while back, but thought better of it in the end due to cost as the carnage wasn't worth spending that money on.

I may well get a sheet on order to make a spoiler for the speed runs, but I’ll persevere with the current setup for the moment, especially considering the past two runs have involved extreme cartwheels/rolls 😅

Always best of you have the skills and time. Also you have a one of a kind, can’t beat that!

• Like 1

@Ant.p if you do decide to try to make your own spoiler I'm happy to walk you through how I do it and what I use.

Most important thing is to wear a face mask/gloves when cutting/sanding and drilling as the dust/fibres can be harmful. Also using the correct blades to cut and drill makes things so much easier. 

Definitely one of a kind when you make it yourself. :good: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

That looks the business  mate :good:

Thanks ~ Kept me busy for a few hours, :lol:  ...not bad really for less than £30 including all materials/fixings. Wheelie bar was only £17 odd from China.   

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Pretty good mate you do a really neat job when fabricating in carbon fibre :good:

Appreciate that. 
It's actually really nice to work with providing you use the proper cutting and drilling tools. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little while since I posted in this thread so thought I'd add an update. 
I have a Castle XLX2 ready for this and am waiting for a new motor to be ordered by a supplier. I am also waiting for suitable gears as my speed running gears are too tall for my drag build. 

I've done some mods in preparation for the new ESC/motor combo ~ I'll be flipping the mount around so one of the battery trays has been removed although to keep my Scorched Parts carbon fibre side plates I have cut the  removed battery tray in half to retain the mounting points. 

I have also cut the original ESC/RX mount in half so that it doesn't get in the way when the motor mount is flipped. 

53.thumb.jpg.840c0448185675f1d563c530ef70b75c.jpg

These mods also have a secondary benefit as in drag racing saving weight is quite critical (or so I've read) and removing these parts including the screws has saved me 91.98g. The total weight loss I have achieved so far with parts removed is 224.6g but then I have also added weight with my Scorched Parts side pieces, home made wing and wheelie bar (albeit all are easily removable). :good:

• Like 3