• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone else into vintage mountain bikes?

walkbythesea

59 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Road bikes are great, it’s where I do most of my cycling now😀

I purchased a roadie many years back just to do some easy local training so I'd be fitter on the trails....

Ended up really enjoying the simplicity of man and machine and power! ( Or as much as my chicken legs could deliver!)... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Tell you what though, I’m too tight to buy modern bikes, can’t believe how expensive they are getting now - I know times change and all but “entry level” nowadays buys a really nice classic

I agree completely re price! Insane costs....

But... I have to say that certainly if you trail ride the performance advantage , traction, comfort increase and handling feel are significant.

When I first got my 29" Santa Cruz Chamelion hardtail I found I could ride most of the trails pretty much just as quick as my previous 26" full susser and it really pushes the speed on. That said, my 26" hardtail feels like a BMX now and if my back could take it I'd be playing with it more!!🤣 ( But not on trails).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stimpy said:

I agree completely re price! Insane costs....

But... I have to say that certainly if you trail ride the performance advantage , traction, comfort increase and handling feel are significant.

When I first got my 29" Santa Cruz Chamelion hardtail I found I could ride most of the trails pretty much just as quick as my previous 26" full susser and it really pushes the speed on. That said, my 26" hardtail feels like a BMX now and if my back could take it I'd be playing with it more!!🤣 ( But not on trails).

I’ve ridden some 29ers that my friend has, they sure do roll!  Gary Fisher WAS right!

But I still don’t have one yet. 

• Like 2

I had the first or second Kona Chute frame in the country (2002) and it cost me £500, I bought it because they said it was unbreakable and I had broken 2 Muni Mula's before that. Broke that (I'm a heavy lander) and they gave me the black and glow in the dark new style Chute as a replacement under warranty. Never did manage to break that thing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ve ridden some 29ers that my friend has, they sure do roll!  Gary Fisher WAS right!

But I still don’t have one yet. 

Haha! Yes, Mr Fisher was right!!

I did find that when I first test rode some the front end was too slow but now with geo tweaks etc many of the current offerings steer really well added to the speed they make...

Again, this is for cross country or fastish trail riding. If you were on really tight stuff or trialsing then you'd want smaller wheels...  

But heck, these 29ers don't half make me look a better rider!!🤣 

• Like 1

Always loved my 26" MTBs, started out with a Muddy Fox Courier in 1988, the lilac and white one, bought from about 3 years worth of paper round and xmas money (sadly no pics of this one ☹️).  Continued saving like mad and together with the proceeds of the Courier sale, I bought a Kona Cinder Cone in 1991, specified with thumb shifters (Suntour XC Ltd) and optional black paint (wish I'd gone with the standard champagne/copper colour now, but hey ho).  That bike is still with me now, having been through about three different guises over the years, bit like triggers broom, currently have slicks, rack and guards on it for a bit of touring.  Still have the original brochure i got at the time and original receipt.  It was a lot of money in 1991!  Had a Tomac Buckshot Pro too, during the late 90's / early 00's, very quick and very light, but my god, it was a harsh ride...  Current steed is a steel Sanderson that I built up about 10 years ago now, using a mix of old and new bits from my parts stash.  Had a 29er FS  Spech Camber Expert for a year or so, but whilst very capable, it just didn't do it for me at an ownership level.

Great seeing the pics of all those other lovely 26ers that you've all had/have.  80's and 90's is where its at for me, for bikes, cars, mowers, RC etc etc.  Just love the memories.

cinder-cone-july-10-003-Large.jpg

Kona-CC-008-Copy.jpg

BP2002-002-Large.jpg

DSC-0001-Large.jpg

DSCN1181-Large.jpg

• Like 3

It was a bit dependent on overall frame size, but they started getting shorter in 94 and by 98 they were mostly gone unless you had a monster frame - the classic tall head tube Kona era was probably 89 to 93, with the extended portion above the frame mitres being most prevalent 89 to 91ish

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

It was a bit dependent on overall frame size, but they started getting shorter in 94 and by 98 they were mostly gone unless you had a monster frame - the classic tall head tube Kona era was probably 89 to 93, with the extended portion above the frame mitres being most prevalent 89 to 91ish

Thanks for that.  might have to look at another make.

• 2 weeks later...

too many vintage mtbs.  🙂

got...

88 Muddy Fox Courier (Tushingham variant)

90 Muddy Fox Pathfinder (skip save)

91 Scott Evolution Pro (estay!)

92 Lynx Parilla (rebranded Chas Roberts)

All of them are in various states of disassembly. 😛

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, voorsk said:

too many vintage mtbs.  🙂

got...

88 Muddy Fox Courier (Tushingham variant)

90 Muddy Fox Pathfinder (skip save)

91 Scott Evolution Pro (estay!)

92 Lynx Parilla (rebranded Chas Roberts)

All of them are in various states of disassembly. 😛

Oooh, pics when you can please 👍

21 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Oooh, pics when you can please 👍

Righto!

Courier

18964154001_df04401dd2_c.jpg.83845243d1099c94d2b4a63924c56da6.jpg

Pathfinder, as it was originally (it's dismantled and awaiting powder coating):
51267732018_6ba4857bd5_c.jpg.f543ec893c4e1e3adc7790b1bbd63c14.jpg

Scott Evolution Pro, waiting for a bottom bracket before I can build it up

51256669372_2d94f69e84_z.jpg.2ee558b5e2fa142dbd2f9b8a51605332.jpg

Lynx Parrilla, which is built, but I don't seem to have taken any photos of it since I bought it as a frame 5 years ago.  😮

20117864366_621dc02540_c.jpg.faf9e08cf330cc1e166e2551e094e5ff.jpg

It seems like I need to take some new photos!

• Like 2