• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My next crawler

Evening all, its been a while since I've been here, hope everyone's doing well

So, I recently sold my TRX 4,  I'm looking to build somthing abit more personal with a toyota hilux pickup shell. Trx 4 was great, but I kinda felt like I was cheating by buying an RTR. 

Looking to build somthing from a kit. (No portals this time) was looking at an SCX 10 2 kit. Would you say the kit is still relevant or is it abit outdated now?? Would it be worth grabbing an scx10 3 and removing portals?? (If it's possible)

Also does having 2 gears really matter?? Would a 4 cell single speed be plenty??

Cheers!!

That's great to hear, this next crawler is going to be my project for the next few years. So I needed to make sure

I did see alot of amazing bodies out there only to see that it's designed for the Axial models (was abit jelous)

Does the scx 10 II have permanently locked diffs?? I can't remember

If you’re open to other alternatives I recently built an HPI Venture kit chassis for my Methabago build and I absolutely love it!

The kit:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hpi-venture-sbk-scale-builder-kit-435335

Or the Element RC Enduro builders kit is fantastic and the finished chassis handles amazingly:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/element-rc-enduro-trail-truck-builders-kit-441880

• Like 1

That HPI looks pretty solid. Tbf, I don't really know what I should be looking for in a builders kit. I've only ever used a TRX 4, so haven't had experience with 100% locked diffs and no portals

Like what's the advantage of that HPI chassis over the scx 10, trx 4 or enduro for example

Are there limits to certain kits?? 

Can I fit any body to any chassis?

1 minute ago, Bushmonkey said:

Can I fit any body to any chassis?

This is my Krystal the Methabago build having her first crawl…

…I’m still working on getting the springing correct, but that Tonka Winnebago body weighs about 5kg, which should give you an idea of how tough and capable the HPI chassis is!

Like the Enduro chassis the Venture has behind the axle steering which massively improves front clearance over conventional steering arrangements.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bushmonkey said:

Are there limits to certain kits?? 

Everything has a limit, but it sure is fun finding it!

I have both a Venture and an Enduro and they’re both fantastic but different - an advantage of the Enduro over the Venture is the Stealth X gearbox that allows you to install different combinations of overdrive gears to drive the front wheels faster than the rear, which is funky and improves crawling performance in certain situations. 

• Like 1

OK sound advice guys ty. 

I didn't think of things like behind axle steering or different gearing front/rear

Is it possible to install shocks angled to head towards a low COG crawler?? Or is that more of an advanced modification that needs 3d printing (which I don't have)

7 hours ago, Bushmonkey said:

Yea like those. Is that on the HPI or an scx 10 2??

That is indeed on an SCX10ii, but all I meant was, is that what you were looking for?  

In all honesty I’d expect that with probably just a little drilling the same kit could be used on the HPI or any ladder frame truck, as let’s face it, ladder chassis are all pretty similar at that point and the kit is cheap enough to experiment with. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/06/2021 at 21:55, Bushmonkey said:

Yea like those. Is that on the HPI or an scx 10 2??

that's called cantilever suspension and can be bought for scx10ii 

• Thanks 1