• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Krystal the Methabago

13 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

I'd definitely be tempted to cut a little slot out of the floor, to accommodate the motor. If that's an option?

You could always build an interior unit etc. around it, to hide it.

The shock towers are only 6mm’ish below the motor height, so the “slot” starts to get really big to accommodate them too without pondering if laydown cantilever shocks can be made to work somehow

£19.83  33% Off | YEAHRUN 1:10 RC Crawler Car Upgraded Parts Metal Shock Absorber Cantilever Set for Axial SCX-10 II 90046

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPZet6Z

I’m seriously considering tubbing and dropping the whole body and replacing with a false floor inside, allowing access to the battery etc without having to remove the entire body each time. 

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 1

I see. That's a tricky one. 

The problem with cantilever shocks, is they tend to introduce even more body-roll than traditional setups! See, for example, the Gmade BOM owners' threads, from the various RC forums; serious/competition-focused people tend to ditch the cantilevers.

Krystal does look a little high from the sides, but from the front it looks fantastic! Will be interested in seeing what you decide to do. :good:

• Like 1

That's really capable! Good work!

If the gap to the sliders bothers you and draws your eye... you could always remove them? At least then you won't be aware of the gap between slider and body.

But, yes, be good to get it lower.

I’m almost definitely going to cut a huge section of the floor out and do a full body drop, I’m not sure I’ll be satisfied any other way - not only will it look better but it’ll bring the CG down too. 

But that doesn’t feel like a decision to rush as I’d  miss the front clearance and angle of attack if she tucks down much more over the wheels - so I’d rather get the suspension sorted first and drive her a while before going in with the knives. 

• Like 3

She didnt topple over so good start but if you lower the body you lose clearance front back 

is it possible to move floor up a bit so body sits on sliders ?

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely a lot to think about as if I choose to cut the floor I’m then on a path of total commitment!

So next major job will be to sort the suspension to support the weight, drive her some more and get to know what she’s capable of before I decide on the cutty cutty…

• Like 2

This is really shaping up!..

Some thoughts:

- You could relocate the motor to the skid as per an scx set up or there may be scope to do a motor drop but I can't see the chassis clearly enough..

- The above would still leave you with needing to sort the shock placements out though.

- Cantilver set ups can work but need an even harder spring weight due to the leverage ratio change. Think super hard springs! And this would only work on the rear. You could lay down your front shocks a little but of course again that needs even stiffer springs again due to the leverage ratio malarky..

- I think as you are thinking, I would probably tub out the bottom and put a false floor in once I'd done a motor relocate.

- Or... In my usual style.... I'd probably cut the hell out of the arches and make it into a mean looking crawler!!... ( But I think that body looks too cool to do that to....)

- Tub some mega arches and increase the track width?

Whatever you do, its certainly gonna be heavy! But look cool as funk 👍

I’ve long considered leaf springs as I too think they’d take the weight better, have seen a couple of other Winnebago builds running leaves - however I think they would also limit articulation, but equally to control body roll I’m not sure that’s a bad thing…

That Gmade kit looks fantastic, especially as it uses universal U-bolt axle hardware 👍

I’m actually thinking that may be an excellent solution, running both the leaves to take the bulk of the weight and the coil overs for fine tuning - it’s not like I could lose the shock towers anyway. 

Motor drop wise, I really don’t think there’s room for that in the rest of the chassis - but not before the suspension is sorted.  The more I think about it the more I genuinely think the best way will be a full tub and body drop - I’d considered relocation of the motor/gearbox but it still leaves the shock towers in contention and if rather do a full drop and false flat floor than this….

C726982C-C5C0-4379-A9FD-730979F14B6A.jpeg

14 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

@PraetoR could you please compare the axle dimensions of your Venture and Komodo to give an opinion on whether the Gmade leaf spring kit may be made to fit?

Happy to. Although, are you referring to the GS-01 leaf springs? Because the GS-02 is completely different from the GS-01. Different axles. What leaf spring kit are you referring to?

26 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

Happy to. Although, are you referring to the GS-01 leaf springs? Because the GS-02 is completely different from the GS-01. Different axles. What leaf spring kit are you referring to?

Yeah, my bad 🤦‍♂️

• 1 month later...