• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Rustler XL-5 LiPo Upgrade (3S)

DanielThePrawn

Hey all, I've bought a Traxxas Rustler XL-5 and it already has a few upgraded in it, primarily being the Hobbywing EZRUN MAX10 ESC and the HobbyWing EZRUN 3652 G2 3300KV Brushless Motor. I'm currently running a 2S LiPo in my car but I'd quite like to upgrade it to a 3S LiPo. 

I already know that the ESC can handle a 3S LiPo as I just have to reprogram it for 3S, but would the gears in the car itself be able to handle the extra speed from the motor and not wear out quickly? I should also mention that the car has a steel 30 tooth idle gear and a steel ring in the differential, if that makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated as I'm quite a noob at RC and don't know a whole load about it. Thanks!

The drivetrain should be OK, but you may need to alter the gearing. Keep a close eye on motor temps.

You will wear things out faster. That's life. Probably the first to go will be the driveshafts. They are plastic....and the universal joints take all the load. There will also be increased load on the differential and the bearings holding everything in place.

You may also find the car a lot harder to drive, lifting the front wheels under hard acceleration, and generally becoming bouncy and hard to keep under control.

Yes...3S will make your car faster.

but

You will need to keep on top of maintenance, be prepared to replace worn parts sooner and more often, and to have more reliability issues if you don't. That's the price of going faster

• Like 2

maybe gearing up a little on the 2s and see what you get speed wise? up the pinion a few teeth or spur lower should help with drive train wear but like nitro says more speed usually means more wear more damage when you hit anything .

i can remember on my vxl pede i was only running nimh but a 8 cell type  9.6v and upped the pinion and always kept up with my mates vxl on 3s i know its different volts etc 7.4v vs 11.1 but the gearing will defo up those mph as long as you keep the heat of the can under control

As an aside.... I have a 2WD Stampede ( same chassis and drivetrain ) and I have an older WP* ( the forerunner to the Max10) with a similar sized can. I run it on 2S as I found the performance was enough to be fun, and about what the chassis was able to handle.